To anyone who said that a "bullet was dodged"

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Josephine96

To anyone who said that a "bullet was dodged"

#1 Postby Josephine96 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:11 am

Read these threads or watch the news and see exactly what is happening even though the winds and the rain are now gone..

We are watching hell unfold before us here.. The death toll might become a bit large and the damage numbers are going to be catastrophic..
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:12 am

I agree.

I'm thinking this will top 100 billion at this rate.
0 likes   

Josephine96

#3 Postby Josephine96 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:24 am

Boy I hope your 100 billion is a little bit too high.. But this isn't lookin pretty folks.. :eek: :cry:
0 likes   

nystate
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby nystate » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:09 am

A bullet WAS dodged. Remember people saying that this thing would be 180 MPH on landfall, topple every skyscraper in NOLA, and kill at least 40,000 people? Fifty dead is small compared to that...
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby jlauderdal » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:11 am

nystate wrote:A bullet WAS dodged. Remember people saying that this thing would be 180 MPH on landfall, topple every skyscraper in NOLA, and kill at least 40,000 people? Fifty dead is small compared to that...

you really think 50 is the number, 40k might not be but 50 certainly isn't.
0 likes   

Thunder44
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Thunder44 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:12 am

nystate wrote:A bullet WAS dodged. Remember people saying that this thing would be 180 MPH on landfall, topple every skyscraper in NOLA, and kill at least 40,000 people? Fifty dead is small compared to that...

It's moot to think of the ultimate disater scenerio being avoided. This is not one of those disaster movies you see on the big screen. It's real life. It's bad enough.
0 likes   

drudd1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby drudd1 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:22 am

Let's please not get into a debate about whether a bullet was dodged or not. It is pointless, and your energies could be better spent donating time or money to the releif effort, i.e. Red Cross, etc.

For the folks who have lost loved ones, friends, homes, employment, and the list goes on, I am sure they could give two hoots how strong the winds were. I would love to see you look any one of the thousands of folks that now have nothing in the eye, and tell them they were lucky they dodged the bullet. Especially if they have lost a loved one.

Sorry about the rant guys, but with all the suffering going on, I think we can find a better topic to debate than how lucky they were.
0 likes   

DESTRUCTION5
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby DESTRUCTION5 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:29 am

I said double Andrew...Maybe more
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#9 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:29 am

Ditto what Drudd and Thunder said.

Give it a few years like people did with Andrew...and then maybe, just maybe, you can debate it then.
0 likes   

wolfmmiii
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: To anyone who said that a "bullet was dodged"

#10 Postby wolfmmiii » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:40 am

Josephine96 wrote:Read these threads or watch the news and see exactly what is happening even though the winds and the rain are now gone..

We are watching hell unfold before us here.. The death toll might become a bit large and the damage numbers are going to be catastrophic..

A thread titled the way this one is only invites discussion. You are basically telling anyone who thought that a bullet was dodged is wrong. Personally, I come down on the side that says a bullet WAS dodged (relatively speaking). Overall, it could have been much, much worse.

However, what's been experienced is bad enough.
0 likes   

DESTRUCTION5
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby DESTRUCTION5 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:48 am

Take a trip down from upstate NY to Miss and then repeat this comment...If you can do it with a straight face your not Human
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#12 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:55 am

OK stop with the snide remarks!!! Last warning!!!!
0 likes   

kajunwetha
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

What?

#13 Postby kajunwetha » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:59 am

A bullet was dodged?? Those 50 people were in ONE county in MS. The Twinspan is completly destroyed and the water CONTINUES to rise! My house is pretty much garanteed NOT to be there when one day I get to return. I also left my cat behind and hate myself for that. The eye passed directly over where I work on the border of MS/LA and the city I love is 80% under deep water.. Tell me Mr. Upstate New York EXACTLY what did we dodge? Not sure what news channel they show up there but down here there are thousands needing rescue that will likely not come. I came to this site hoping to find some friends and see if they made it out and I have to see some crap about 50 people dying is not enough.. A number that only shows the poster doesnt care enough about what happend than to read one headline completely which stated 50 dead in Harrison county.... What about New Orleans, St. Tammany, Plaquemines, St Bernard parishes??? What about Handcock county?? 50 per parish could be on the low end...
0 likes   

wolfmmiii
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: What?

#14 Postby wolfmmiii » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:13 am

kajunwetha wrote:A bullet was dodged?? Those 50 people were in ONE county in MS. The Twinspan is completly destroyed and the water CONTINUES to rise! My house is pretty much garanteed NOT to be there when one day I get to return. I also left my cat behind and hate myself for that. The eye passed directly over where I work on the border of MS/LA and the city I love is 80% under deep water.. Tell me Mr. Upstate New York EXACTLY what did we dodge? Not sure what news channel they show up there but down here there are thousands needing rescue that will likely not come. I came to this site hoping to find some friends and see if they made it out and I have to see some crap about 50 people dying is not enough.. A number that only shows the poster doesnt care enough about what happend than to read one headline completely which stated 50 dead in Harrison county.... What about New Orleans, St. Tammany, Plaquemines, St Bernard parishes??? What about Handcock county?? 50 per parish could be on the low end...

Yes, it was - relatively speaking. Now, if I'm a person who lost a home or family member, NO - a bullet wasn't dodged. However, when the possibility exists that a loss of life could run into the 10's of thousands but that doesn't come to pass, yes (RELATIVELY SPEAKING), a bullet was dodged.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#15 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:16 am

Kajunwetha, no one is saying it isn't enough. Some feel that "a bullet was dodged" compared to the possible 20,000 bodies floating in floodwaters after the storm that the doomsday scenario showed. That is their opinion and they are due it as you are due yours. They may not have the information some of us have simply due to their location and what they have or haven't seen on the news.

We all know that no bullet was dodged. We all know that the death toll will go higher. This is a horrific situation for everyone, and most especially for those directly affected by it. Please everyone, those not directly affected and those directly affected, show some compassion and consideration for each other.
0 likes   

JenyEliza
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby JenyEliza » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:39 am

It would appear that "the" bullet--"The Big One" that so many thought would wipe NO off the map and leave 50-100,000 dead didn't happen.

However, I don't think "a" bullet was dodged at all.

Katrina is still a hugely catastrophic storm--and the implications for the disaster she's wreaked reach far inland haven't yet been realized.

We still haven't seen what she will do all the way through the Tennesee/Ohio Valley and through the rest of this country. She's still quite capable of killing...and sadly more in her path will likely die, even very far inland.

Her final numbers remain to be seen...

Jen
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby CaptinCrunch » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:53 am

As of this morning 80% of NOLA is under water, the levees around lake ponchatrain have failed, the French Quaters is under 5 feet of water and it is still raising. :(

Heavy rain over northern MS and the western T.O.V. will fill the MS River and cause more flooding as it drains back into the GOM.
0 likes   

superfly
Category 4
Category 4

#18 Postby superfly » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:01 am

CaptinCrunch wrote:As of this morning 80% of NOLA is under water, the levees around lake ponchatrain have failed, the French Quaters is under 5 feet of water and it is still raising. :(

Heavy rain over northern MS and the western T.O.V. will fill the MS River and cause more flooding as it drains back into the GOM.

100% of NOLA is underwater. The 80% was before the levee break.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:12 am

0 likes   

mascpa
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby mascpa » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:16 am

One area's "dodged bullet" is another area's bulls eye. Just because NO did not get the direct hit expected, some place else did and the carnage is every bit as bad there as it wouold have been in NO.
And please, no more "it could have been worse". Not for those people who lost everything, especially those who lost their life!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”