Gas rationing

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Gas rationing

#1 Postby alicia-w » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:46 am

goes into effect here at Eglin at midnight tonight. Private vehicles only, no RVs, boats, gas cans.....

$20 limit per vehicle....
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby x-y-no » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:49 am

No gas cans? So much for running a generator ...
0 likes   

no advance
Category 1
Category 1

#3 Postby no advance » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:52 am

We need a nation wide effort to cut back our use of fuel. Everyone needs to cut back.
0 likes   

Zadok
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby Zadok » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:52 am

http://www.local6.com/news/4911219/detail.html

Gov. Bush Warns Residents Of Gas Shortages

POSTED: 4:06 pm EDT August 29, 2005
UPDATED: 10:25 pm EDT August 29, 2005

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Gov. Jeb Bush warned Florida could see shortages of gasoline in coming days as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

The hurricane roared through the nation's major gas refineries and shut down production of thousands of oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico.

Bush said Florida has worked with the U.S. Department of Energy and the Petroleum Industry to bring significant supplies of gasoline into the state's ports.

But David Mica of the Florida Petroleum Council said it will take time before oil rigs and refineries are operating again.

Bush blames oil companies for keeping lower inventories than they have in the past and that makes shortages more likely. But Mica says the oil industry has produced record amounts of petroleum each of the last three years and that global demand has also increased to record levels.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
0 likes   

wwicko
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5 Postby wwicko » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:04 am

This statement was made by the American Petroleum Institute yesterday. Its understandably vague given the unavailability of data at the time of the statment, but it seems to suggest that the storm devastation may affect us all.

Excerpt from statement below:

“Limits on industry operations could impact consumers outside the hurricane areas. We urge consumers to use energy wisely.”

Petroleum Industry statement
Monday, August 29, 2005
Monday, 4:48 p.m.

The American Petroleum Institute, the association representing oil and gas producers, issued the following statement concerning the impact of Hurricane Katrina on petroleum industry operations:

“To ensure safety, the industry has moved employees from some facilities and shut down various offshore production platforms, refineries, and pipeline operations in the affected areas. This may have an impact on petroleum product supplies. With only limited information available at this time, we are unable to estimate the extent of the impact. It could be several days before the industry can fully assess the effects of the hurricane.

“The industry recognizes the extreme hardships of people in the path of the hurricane and is working to deliver fuel where it is needed. Industry representatives also are working closely with local and state governments and emergency responders.

“Limits on industry operations could impact consumers outside the hurricane areas. We urge consumers to use energy wisely.”
0 likes   

Innotech
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Innotech » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:04 am

the company I work for, Dupre Transport lost 20 entire fuel tanker trucks in Chalmette and several drivers are actually missing or havent called in. ITs a very big crisis where I work right now and of course phone communications are nonexistent. DEfinitely count on major shortages, as I personally know of dozens of stores out of fuel with no relief in sight (we simply cannot get product to htem)
0 likes   

RU4REAL
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7 Postby RU4REAL » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:07 am

this is a copy/paste from our local paper in NC about gas..

http://www.reflector.com/
0 likes   

wwicko
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#8 Postby wwicko » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:28 am

From Forbes:

At least eight Gulf Coast refineries in the path of Hurricane Katrina shut down or reduced operations by Monday, according to company and U.S. Department of Energy reports. The eight represent about 2.3 million barrels of daily refining capacity.

In the Gulf, reports from the Mineral Management Services showed crude oil production down about 91 percent, or 1.37 million barrels. The Gulf also lost about 82 percent of daily natural gas production, according to the assessment released midday.

Damage appears to be minimal, but Bob Slaughter, president of the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association in Washington, said even that assessment could be premature. He said Katrina appeared to be more damaging than Hurricane Ivan which struck a similar path last fall.

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/ap/200 ... 95434.html
0 likes   

njoynit
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9 Postby njoynit » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:53 pm

$$$$20 of GAS is not going very far.thats what?8 gallons?? our prices are $2.69 this morning and were $2.49-$2.42 yesterday.

I think tis time to return to horse& buggy.The amish got it made right now!
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby MBismyPlayground » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:02 pm

I checked our local gas station this morning and it was 2.49
Now hubbie went to fill up and it is at 2.60
0 likes   

wxcrazytwo

Re: Gas rationing

#11 Postby wxcrazytwo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:05 pm

alicia-w wrote:goes into effect here at Eglin at midnight tonight. Private vehicles only, no RVs, boats, gas cans.....

More info please. When does the rationing start?
0 likes   

Zadok
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby Zadok » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:07 pm

12:44 P.M. - (AP) The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port did NOT suffer major damage as a result of Hurricane Katrina. And a port official says the flow of oil could resume within "a matter of hours" once its power supply is restored.
0 likes   

jj_frap
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Well...

#13 Postby jj_frap » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:09 pm

I guess the Bush Crime Family will use Katrina's effects on gas price as justification for backing another coup attempt against Venezuela's democratically elected government due to Venezuela's economic and geopolitical positions being different from and superiour to Washington's.

(And before you make the assumption that I'm some sort of Musconned Chiborg, I hold Russia and China in the same contempt that I hold the U.S. Before you think I'm an Islamist, consider that I consider former Dutch PM Pim Fortuyn one of my heroes and believe that secularism must be defended against all threats -- both religious and atheistic -- by any means necessary.)
Last edited by jj_frap on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Well...

#14 Postby Roxy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:11 pm

jj_frap wrote:I guess the Bush Crime Family will use Katrina's effects on gas price as justification for backing another coup attempt against Venezuela's democratically elected government due to Venezuela's economic and geopolitical positions being different from and superiour to Washington's.

(And before you make assumption that I'm I'm some sort of Musconned Chiborg, I hold Russia and China in the same contempt that I hold the U.S. Before you think I'm an Islamist, consider that I consider former Dutch PM Pim Fortuyn one of my heroes and believe that secularism must be defended against all threats -- both religious and atheistic -- by any means necessary.)

not necessary.
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby HouTXmetro » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:12 pm

jj_frap wrote:I guess the Bush Crime Family will use Katrina's effects on gas price as justification for backing another coup attempt against Venezuela's democratically elected government due to Venezuela's economic and geopolitical positions being different from and superiour to Washington's.

(And before you make assumption that I'm I'm some sort of Musconned Chiborg, I hold Russia and China in the same contempt that I hold the U.S. Before you think I'm an Islamist, consider that I consider former Dutch PM Pim Fortuyn one of my heroes and believe that secularism must be defended against all threats -- both religious and atheistic -- by any means necessary.)

Even though I agree with you, let's try our best not to politicize this.
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby JenBayles » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:15 pm

(And before you make the assumption that I'm some sort of Musconned Chiborg, I hold Russia and China in the same contempt that I hold the U.S. Before you think I'm an Islamist, consider that I consider former Dutch PM Pim Fortuyn one of my heroes and believe that secularism must be defended against all threats -- both religious and atheistic -- by any means necessary.)

Consider using "The Golden Rule".
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#17 Postby blueeyes_austin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:17 pm

Zadok wrote:12:44 P.M. - (AP) The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port did NOT suffer major damage as a result of Hurricane Katrina. And a port official says the flow of oil could resume within "a matter of hours" once its power supply is restored.

This is massively good news....
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby alicia-w » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:24 pm

wxcrazytwo wrote:
alicia-w wrote:goes into effect here at Eglin at midnight tonight. Private vehicles only, no RVs, boats, gas cans.....

I said midnight tonight....0001, 30 August. Eglin AFB only. Dont think that will affect you, Alex. :D
0 likes   

wxcrazytwo

#19 Postby wxcrazytwo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:41 pm

alicia-w wrote:
wxcrazytwo wrote:

I said midnight tonight....0001, 30 August. Eglin AFB only. Dont think that will affect you, Alex. :D

Thank you Alicia. Okay, wow $20/car.
0 likes   

BroncoChuck
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#20 Postby BroncoChuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:47 pm

damn $20 bucks is less then half a tank in my bronco cost me $80 to fill up last week before I sold it! 32 gallon tank / 8 mpg ! (kinda the reason behind selling it !)
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”