Gulfport and Long Beach

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

therealashe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Gulfport and Long Beach

#1 Postby therealashe » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:20 pm

They are staying that as far as a mile in, everything is flattened. It's a WLBT-TV feed to MSNBC.

I'm looking at this and feeling sick, knowing that the death toll can only rise. This is beyond Andrew. Way beyond.
0 likes   

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Gulfport and Long Beach

#2 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:28 pm

therealashe wrote:They are staying that as far as a mile in, everything is flattened. It's a WLBT-TV feed to MSNBC.

I'm looking at this and feeling sick, knowing that the death toll can only rise. This is beyond Andrew. Way beyond.

everybody keeps saying this.

yes, the detruction is widespread... and the surge may be the highest we've ever seen.... but saying this is way beyond andrew is saying a lot.

i think some people forget how devastating andrew was. winds ripped apart tens of thousands of homes in south florida.
0 likes   

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

#3 Postby Air Force Met » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:32 pm

Courtnay Mccullers wrote:
therealashe wrote:They are staying that as far as a mile in, everything is flattened. It's a WLBT-TV feed to MSNBC.

yes, the detruction is widespread... and the surge may be the highest we've ever seen.... but saying this is way beyond andrew is saying a lot.

i think some people forget how devastating andrew was. winds ripped apart tens of thousands of homes in south florida.

Trust me...it is WAY beyond Andrew. Andrew was devastating to a small area. You did not get a 10-15 foot surge all the way up to West Pam Beach with Andrew. The scope of this is MUCH larger than Andrew. The area affected by Katrina is MUCH greater than that affected by Andrew. Time will tell the true picture. Be patient and you will see.
0 likes   

Opal storm

#4 Postby Opal storm » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:35 pm

I don't think there is a storm that can be compared to Katrina's destruction :eek:
0 likes   

BlowinNTheWind
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby BlowinNTheWind » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:46 pm

The WBLT video is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen...there is NOTHING left between Long Beach and Biloxi on the coast of Miss...incredible
0 likes   

Johnny
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Johnny » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:50 pm

Can you post a link to this video? Thanks.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby CentralFlGal » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:56 pm

Yes, please post the link. I've been looking for information specific to Long Beach all morning. Family who evac'ed here aren't sure what to expect.

I'm also waiting for a local ham operator to call me back. Trying to find a ham on the front lines who can give more info on this area than the media is. Will post when I receive information for those who are interested.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby CentralFlGal » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:57 pm

No one's forgetting Andrew. We're dealing with Katrina right now.
0 likes   

cancunkid
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby cancunkid » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:20 pm

If anyone hears from anyone in Long Beach please post what you hear. I have cousins living in Long Beach and only talked to one of them before Katrina. They survived Camille in a little house next to the college that I am sure is gone now by what I am hearing. They were going to evacuate to a friends house in Ocean Springs but one of my cousins was not getting off work at the airport until 6. She would have still had to get home and I am fearful they may have tried to ride it out. Two more cousins live in Long Beach also and only one of them lives beyond the railroad tracks. If anyone knows of anywhere I could find out any information or has any ideas please let me know.
0 likes   

x-y-no
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby x-y-no » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:23 pm

Trust me ... I was in Andrew, and this is way beyond Andrew.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby CentralFlGal » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:28 pm

Just got off the phone with the ham operator; not much radio coming out of LB area at all. Operators evac'ed; will continue to listen and will post updates.

May be a few days before reports start coming in from individuals.
0 likes   

CentralFlGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby CentralFlGal » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:34 pm

cancunkid wrote:If anyone hears from anyone in Long Beach please post what you hear. I have cousins living in Long Beach and only talked to one of them before Katrina. They survived Camille in a little house next to the college that I am sure is gone now by what I am hearing. They were going to evacuate to a friends house in Ocean Springs but one of my cousins was not getting off work at the airport until 6. She would have still had to get home and I am fearful they may have tried to ride it out. Two more cousins live in Long Beach also and only one of them lives beyond the railroad tracks. If anyone knows of anywhere I could find out any information or has any ideas please let me know.

Cancun, our thoughts are with you. We're still in a state of shock here, anxiously awaiting anything that gives us a better idea of what my aunt and cousins will find when they go home. They are just beyond the tracks.

I'll PM you when I hear something, esp. from the amateur radio operator.

For the time being, this is all I have:

Front page: http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/

Town by town reports: http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/ ... 513444.htm
0 likes   

cancunkid
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby cancunkid » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:44 pm

Thank you for the information and your kind thoughts Flgal. I just watched the flyover of Long Beach at http://www.wlbt.com/ and now I am really worried. I wasn't able to pick out the college on the film (my favorite cousin lives in the shadow of the library). I just hope they actually did evacuate no matter how late in the evening it was.
0 likes   

ColdWaterConch
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby ColdWaterConch » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:49 pm

I was in Andrew...this is much worse than Andrew.

1. Andrew spared Miami proper. Katrina has killed NO

2. The storm surge in Andrew was not nearly as bad as the storm surge here. If it had been, I'd be dead.
0 likes   

Anonymous

#15 Postby Anonymous » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:49 pm

0 likes   

cjrciadt
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby cjrciadt » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:59 pm

So many highways knocked out completely!!! Even if you want to go back you cant no because of debris in the road, because the road does not exist anymore!!! :cry:
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#17 Postby blueeyes_austin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:03 pm

Looks like the damage from the Tsumani
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#18 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:09 pm

WKRG.com showing lots of helicopter video also. Horrible.
0 likes   

Innotech
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Innotech » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:15 pm

this is 10 itmes, no 100 times worse than Andrew. Andrew was horrible, this is catastrophic. New orleans submerged , Long Beach, Gulfport, Biloxi....levelled for miles inland....This is worse than Camille....
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby wxmann_91 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:18 pm

Andrew was small Katrina was big, and surge is 100 times more powerful than wind.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”