Not meant to be political but just a thought

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

shaggy
Category 2
Category 2

Not meant to be political but just a thought

#1 Postby shaggy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:48 pm

What happens when all these other countries do not send aid or simply do not help with the hurricane situation.Something as simple as the OPEC countries increasing their output to help with our own problems.Not meaning to be political but the US is very generous and i am waiting to see how the world helps us.Already Pres. Chavez has agrred to help with oil!
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby gtalum » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:48 pm

We probably haven't asked for help.
0 likes   

shaggy
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby shaggy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:51 pm

should we have too?
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby artist » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:52 pm

exactly - seems to me we offer as sooon as something happens - we don't wait to be asked by most countries.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

Re: Not meant to be political but just a thought

#5 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:54 pm

ncdowneast wrote:What happens when all these other countries do not send aid or simply do not help with the hurricane situation.Something as simple as the OPEC countries increasing their output to help with our own problems.Not meaning to be political but the US is very generous and i am waiting to see how the world helps us.Already Pres. Chavez has agrred to help with oil!

Chavez? You mean the Venezuelan Chavez?? Agreed to help us?

Wow, I'm speechless....
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby Persepone » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:57 pm

Yes, the Venezuelan Chavez...
0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Not meant to be political but just a thought

#7 Postby WeatherEmperor » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:58 pm

GalvestonDuck wrote:
ncdowneast wrote:What happens when all these other countries do not send aid or simply do not help with the hurricane situation.Something as simple as the OPEC countries increasing their output to help with our own problems.Not meaning to be political but the US is very generous and i am waiting to see how the world helps us.Already Pres. Chavez has agrred to help with oil!

Chavez? You mean the Venezuelan Chavez?? Agreed to help us?

Wow, I'm speechless....

Think we should accept his help?

<RICKY>
0 likes   

shaggy
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby shaggy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:58 pm

yup thats the one thats why i started this thread if he is willing to help why aren't the middle east countries or the europena countries?Shocking to hear him offer support
0 likes   

tallywx
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby tallywx » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:03 pm

First, foreign nations have to learn of the scope of disaster.

As an example, check out England and the BBC's news front page. The headline is "up to 80 killed in U.S. hurricane," meaning that the foreign media is clueless that any more have died. The actual article is a bit more comprehensive, but still...this is not flashing in big bold letters around the world yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk
0 likes   

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby NateFLA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:03 pm

This will end up being more costly and probably worse for the economy than 9/11, and the foreign aid poured the heck in then.

Where is it now? Is it only because "bad" people did something "mean" to us that we get support? Or maybe it was only because they had to save face, and in this situation they dont.

Either way it is sad.
0 likes   

RichG
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby RichG » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:04 pm

Chavez help is unrelated to storm it was in granted before the storm hit after meeting with Jesse Jackson.
0 likes   

scostorms
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby scostorms » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:07 pm

Canada most certain will help.
0 likes   

Pellice
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#13 Postby Pellice » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:07 pm

I sent a similar - non-controversial! - note to a controversial thread that got deleted.

Yes, other countries send aid, and will do so in this case. They always send aid to disasters of this magnitude. What happens is that the amount of internal US aid is so massive that it dwarfs the amounts sent from abroad, so you don't hear of it as often. That is, a an amount of funds that would be huge in some poor country is relatively smaller here. But, countries do send aid. It is moving to see quite poor countries send aid, signalling their wish to be included in the "family of nations." The European Union will be the agent for European aid to the US.

Often the type of aid that is sent to the US is rather specialized, such as special equipment for restoration of oil/gas facilities. Earthquake aid is quite international.

The amounts of foreign aid sent after 9-11 were extremely large.
0 likes   

NateFLA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby NateFLA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:11 pm

0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#15 Postby P.K. » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:13 pm

tallywx wrote:As an example, check out England and the BBC's news front page. The headline is "up to 80 killed in U.S. hurricane," meaning that the foreign media is clueless that any more have died. The actual article is a bit more comprehensive, but still...this is not flashing in big bold letters around the world yet.

On the national news on the BBC today the first 10 minutes out of 30 has been concentrating on this story. It will take longer to get information out to the BBC as they will be picking it up from the media over there.
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#16 Postby Talon402 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:13 pm

You mean Chavez the dicatator? Ha ha.

You fail to mention that he also offered "food, bottled water, and other supplies to the beleaguered U.S."

All he's trying to do is spin it around to make it look like he's the good guy. How transparent.

As for oil...lets let the Feds get a handle on what may be needed, if any. Don't forget we have the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.
0 likes   

shaggy
Category 2
Category 2

#17 Postby shaggy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:25 pm

as i said this is not political but a question of how much relief we will see and in what forms? Plenty of oil rigs are reported to be dislodged and i am not sure i understand the workings of a oil rig and if it is dislodged would it not fall over since its not moored anymore?Are their other countries that could help contain and help move them back into place?
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#18 Postby GalvestonDuck » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Agreed -- not political.

I just wanted to make sure I was understanding that it was THAT Chavez.
0 likes   

Talon402
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#19 Postby Talon402 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:28 pm

Dear Mr. Chavez,

No thank you.

Sincerely,

USA

I'm not sure at this point that we necessarily NEED assistance from other countries. The companies who own those rigs no doubt have/had the equipment to move and moore them. Once the situation is more clear, there's no doubt the rigs will be inspected and repaired. Then they'll be operational.

I heard earlier today on one of the networks that it may be around 2 weeks before they can get out and inspect the bottoms of the rigs (very deep in the water) to check the structural integrity.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Stephanie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:24 pm

Persepone wrote:Yes, the Venezuelan Chavez...

I'm speechless as well.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”