Very concerned about the dome!!!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Very concerned about the dome!!!

#1 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:14 pm

Per news conf. on WWL Governor:

Sanitary conditions deteriorating rapidly...but they are now talking about using buses to get people out, but only one route left. All other roads impassible and "engineering situation is not under control....water is still rising around the superdome and in the city....it HAS to be evacuated...when we can do it needs to be done." inside quotes are accurate quotes.

My Take: this could be a disaster. Imagine people full of buses and rising water...... :grr: :cry:
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:17 pm

I just saw where the mayor said on CNN the people will be there another week at least and the situation is NOT out of control...

Is he blind???
0 likes   
#neversummer

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:18 pm

She said 24-48 hours. Even if they have to ferry, they have to get out. Lots of babies.
0 likes   

mettski
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4 Postby mettski » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:20 pm

only option is to get boats down there, forget airlifting out of the dome.
0 likes   

Ground_Zero_92
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Ground_Zero_92 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:27 pm

Brent wrote:I just saw where the mayor said on CNN the people will be there another week at least and the situation is NOT out of control...

Is he blind???

I could be off base here but I don't get the feeling that the mayor of NO has a complete grasp of the situation at the dome. I hope I am wrong, but I see the situation at the dome as escalating quickly if those people aren't moved out quickly.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:28 pm

Ground_Zero_92 wrote:
Brent wrote:I just saw where the mayor said on CNN the people will be there another week at least and the situation is NOT out of control...

Is he blind???

I could be off base here but I don't get the feeling that the mayor of NO has a complete grasp of the situation at the dome. I hope I am wrong, but I see the situation at the dome as escalating quickly if those people aren't moved out quickly.

There obviously is ZERO communication between the Governor and the mayor. Two completely different views on what to do... that is out of control.
0 likes   
#neversummer

simplykristi
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby simplykristi » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:29 pm

They need to get the people out of the dome ASAP.

Kristi
0 likes   

sertorius
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby sertorius » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:31 pm

I would have to agree-from reports thus far, the governor seems to have a much better grasp of the situation than does the mayor.
0 likes   

al79philly
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby al79philly » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:32 pm

Are the governor and mayor well respected down there? Just curious - honestly, I've never heard of either of them before this, being from PA.
0 likes   

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby jopatura » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:34 pm

Breaking news from KTRK in Houston. Superdome being evacuated tonight due to the water levels rising too fast. They can't wait until the morning anymore.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:35 pm

jopatura wrote:Breaking news from KTRK in Houston. Superdome being evacuated tonight due to the water levels rising too fast. They can't wait until the morning anymore.

How???
0 likes   
#neversummer

jopatura
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby jopatura » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:38 pm

Not sure. Wayne Dolcefino broke in saying it was to be evacuated and to stay tuned. I don't think he knows how yet.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby crazycajuncane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:48 pm

I don't know how either, but I've heard the reports. I know once they get em to land (by boat or air) they will be bussing them to Lafayette, LA
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#14 Postby Praxus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:08 am

WDSU reporter said waters were 10-12 feet deep around superdome.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby TSmith274 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:20 am

al79philly wrote:Are the governor and mayor well respected down there? Just curious - honestly, I've never heard of either of them before this, being from PA.

Mayor Nagin is the best mayor we've had in my lifetime. But, I just think he's in shock. Not sure if he has a good grasp... but he's known for his calm demeanor. Maybe he just doesn't want to panic the public about the situation because there are people in the dome who have radios and access to his comments. He doesn't want to panic the people in the Superdome any more than they already are... just my guess.
0 likes   

Hurrilurker
Category 2
Category 2

#16 Postby Hurrilurker » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:52 am

TSmith274 wrote:Mayor Nagin is the best mayor we've had in my lifetime. But, I just think he's in shock. Not sure if he has a good grasp... but he's known for his calm demeanor. Maybe he just doesn't want to panic the public about the situation because there are people in the dome who have radios and access to his comments. He doesn't want to panic the people in the Superdome any more than they already are... just my guess.

Perhaps...but as an outside observer, I have not been the least bit impressed with this man in this time of crisis. If you'll pardon the pun, he seems to be in way over his head. He seems to be lagging frighteningly behind the information the general public is getting from television news and seems indecisive.

Now the worst part is that they appear to be sending even more people to the Dome as the flooding increases from the levee breaches. As of late Tuesday night, CNN reported around 30,000 were in the Dome now, with conditions there already bad and getting worse from the initial 10,000. The mayor spoke about how they were being provided with everything, but it could be "a week" before they can get out. No running water, unsanitary bathroom conditions, and now it'll all be baking in the hot sun with rising water on all sides. Not to mention food and drinking water, not sure how long they're set up to handle that currently.
0 likes   

oneness
Category 1
Category 1

#17 Postby oneness » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:03 am

Praxus wrote:WDSU reporter said waters were 10-12 feet deep around superdome.

I watched a report on 4WWL earlier that said the area around the superdome is the second lowest area in the entire NO city area and that water would naturally pool deeply in that area. If that's the case, and the water inflow is now uncontrolled then water is going to rise to about the depth of the superbowl’s floor level (someone earlier said this is about 18 ft above street level).
0 likes   

oneness
Category 1
Category 1

#18 Postby oneness » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:09 am

Hurrilurker wrote:
TSmith274 wrote:Mayor Nagin is the best mayor we've had in my lifetime. But, I just think he's in shock. Not sure if he has a good grasp... but he's known for his calm demeanor. Maybe he just doesn't want to panic the public about the situation because there are people in the dome who have radios and access to his comments. He doesn't want to panic the people in the Superdome any more than they already are... just my guess.

Perhaps...but as an outside observer, I have not been the least bit impressed with this man in this time of crisis. If you'll pardon the pun, he seems to be in way over his head. He seems to be lagging frighteningly behind the information the general public is getting from television news and seems indecisive.

Now the worst part is that they appear to be sending even more people to the Dome as the flooding increases from the levee breaches. As of late Tuesday night, CNN reported around 30,000 were in the Dome now, with conditions there already bad and getting worse from the initial 10,000. The mayor spoke about how they were being provided with everything, but it could be "a week" before they can get out. No running water, unsanitary bathroom conditions, and now it'll all be baking in the hot sun with rising water on all sides. Not to mention food and drinking water, not sure how long they're set up to handle that currently.

I'd say he's doing incredibly well, considering the situation is obviously beyond full human control, at present, obvious lack of sleep, an inability for anyone to do much about things, just one day after this massive and festering disaster began. He’s as overwhelmed as the whole of LA. He needs assistance and support, and lots of it.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”