Armed Looters in Fur Coats Victimized Hospital Workers

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DCmetroraleigh

Armed Looters in Fur Coats Victimized Hospital Workers

#1 Postby DCmetroraleigh » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:12 am

They're interviewing a woman from Tulane Hospital on WDSU. She said there are looters with guns walking around in fur coats. She said that there are around 8 armed looters in a fishing boat looting the cars of the people running the hospital.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:14 am

Wow Gangs are already taking over. :eek:
0 likes   

aumoore
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby aumoore » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:16 am

I am a nice guy and all but these guys need to be shot on the spot. Wearing Fur coats? Where is a NRA/PETA member when you need one?
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby blueeyes_austin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:19 am

Sigh. Human nature takes its inevitable course.

Shoot-to-kill during dayligt hours today would have at least thinned out the vermin.
0 likes   

kevin

#5 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:21 am

Um, why haven't the marines been activated? They know how to hold positions, and they all have excellent accuracy with a rifle. All crowds should be dispersed and all people with weapons shot on sight.
0 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby SouthFLTropics » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:21 am

Good grief, this is like a scene from Escape from New York or LA. Where is Snake Plisken when you need him...Who do these thugs think they are, Dennis Hopper in Waterworld. It reminds me of a story my Brother In Law told me about the aftermath of Andrew. He was down in South Dade with his crew and alot of heavy equipment after Andrew. People were coming up to them at night and stealing things from them, sometimes at gunpoint. The national guard could not keep up with all of the problems and eventually issued their crew weapons and told them not to hesitate to use deadly force to protect themselves. I wasn't sure to believe him until I heard a similar story from someone else who was down there that was not even in the same area as my Brother In Law. It was like the wild west. He told me he walked into a bar down there and they were serving Hot Beer and everyone in the bar (all workers with the relief effort) had a sidearm on them. It is amazing how society can break down so fast. It is almost like we are watching footage from a third world country.
0 likes   

RichG
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby RichG » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:22 am

Armed Peta vs. gangsta. I think I am going to copyright the movie rights to that one!
0 likes   

ericinmia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby ericinmia » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:23 am

Full military with shoot to kill, would have scared these putrid excuses for humans into not acting this way.
-Eric
0 likes   

luvwinter
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9 Postby luvwinter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:31 am

It is a disgusting scene being played out in NO. There was video of people roaming around a Walmart taking whatever they wanted knowing they are on camera not caring at all. These people are disgusting. There was another clip of a female cop trying to apprehend a male on the street and he didn't give up. He got away. Thank god he didn't have a weapon. Where was her gun. These are not the people who are stealing food because they are hungry these are the msifits of society who don't have any regard for anyone but themselves. It makjes me want to hurl. These should have been the people floating in the water. Maybe that is harsh but it is what it is. :grr:
0 likes   

weatherSnoop
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby weatherSnoop » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:39 am

Where was her gun

It is hard to erase the teaching of "not pulling your weapon", especially on no sleep and concern for your family! I have been to Mardis Gras and St Patrick's in NO and I would bet that the conditioning of officers is to keep it holstered if you can. I would think, under the circumstances...

This is one reason they bring in national reinforcements...No paratroopers were available early this am???
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:53 am

weatherSnoop wrote:
Where was her gun

It is hard to erase the teaching of "not pulling your weapon", especially on no sleep and concern for your family! I have been to Mardis Gras and St Patrick's in NO and I would bet that the conditioning of officers is to keep it holstered if you can. I would think, under the circumstances...

This is one reason they bring in national reinforcements...No paratroopers were available early this am???

I spoke with son in law this evening and he has heard not one drop of scuttlebutt about leaving Ft. Bragg.......and he is on the ready brigade cycle right now :cry: I am dissappointed beyond belief at this. Of course, they could always send out the greenie beanies.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12 Postby Aslkahuna » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:58 am

There may be Marines aboard those ships the US Navy is sending in but until Bush declares Martial Law in the City they can not be deployed and it's up to the Governors to ask for that decalration.

Steve
0 likes   

weatherSnoop
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby weatherSnoop » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:01 am

And to think...we have big, slow ships leaving Norfolk and Baltimore...tonight and tommorow. I was watching this horrific event unfold this time yesterday! I know very little about engineering, but I know enough to know relief sources could have begun mobilizing sooner. If nothing had gone wrong in NO, the shore areas of Miss/ALA were going to be in desperate relief.
0 likes   

kajunwetha
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#14 Postby kajunwetha » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:02 am

This is not really all the suprising.. These people have no respect for human life.. Not before not now... The 9th Ward of NO is a hellhole.. They have 6 murders on a GOOD night.. Its been that way all year. Now they are all free... Before 99% of murders occured in the 9th ward and now the same people are roaming the city. This isnt a reaction to a disaster you are seeing its the culture of that area of the city.

Personally those that are taking food I dont really mind.. Those taking TV's with no electricity... Shoes, Jerseys things that are of ZERO survival reasons are just the same people that didnt care when the FBI shot 700 bullets into the air and NOBODY called the police last month..

Maybe Kobe Bryant or Shaq or someone they look up to should send a radio broadcast to them. . They wont listen to any authority figure.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:11 am

Interesting......watching some footage on MSNBC and I am seeing some Greenie Beanies(Army Special Forces, Green Berets).........unloading victims off a boat. No mistaking it, people I automatically recognize.
0 likes   

kevin

#16 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:27 am

Good we need the regular military there and special forces are added bonus
0 likes   

RevDodd
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#17 Postby RevDodd » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:04 am

No word, not even unofficially that the 82nd will have a hand in actions in New Orleans.

Which is a shame because they were a huge logistic help after Andrew.

It may well be becuase there's no place to land a plane, no safe place to jump into down there.
0 likes   

Cookiely
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby Cookiely » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:11 am

Excuse me people but this sounds like a false rumor. FUR COATS in the heat and humidity of New Orleans. Give me a break.
0 likes   

flair
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#19 Postby flair » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:47 am

This morning I've seen reports of armed thugs robbing people of their cars (presumably in less flooded areas) and unbelievable looting. I've seen very little looting for food, they're stealing mostly jewelry, electronics, and clothing. They definintely need military assistance down there, and fast.
0 likes   

Eye10TX
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Agreed

#20 Postby Eye10TX » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:12 am

I'm with you, Cookiely -- wearing a fur coat in 95° weather with 90+% humidity is its own punishment!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”