Fort Morgan & Dauphin Island????

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tano68
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Fort Morgan & Dauphin Island????

#1 Postby tano68 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:05 am

Hi,

We spent a couple of wks in a beach house in Fort Morgan this summer and went through Cindy & was eventually evacuated for Dennis. What a vacation :eek: !!! Was wondering if anyone has any news for that part of Alabama. Is it even there anymore???

Also, does anyone have any info on Grand Isle???

Thanks! Tano
0 likes   

weunice
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2 Postby weunice » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:26 am

I heard locally conflicting reports on Grand Isle. Some saying it was surprisingly well off. Others saying it was gone. Most reports however said that it was under 15 feet of water and while most of the structures are elevated, I have a hard time believing they were able to remain standing during that type of surge.

Sadly, I think a few people stayed ... normally everyone leaves when a storm comes for Grand Isle.

I live in Baton Rouge and you can hear helicopters flying over the city about every 5-10 minutes headed for New Orleans. This effort is massive ...
0 likes   

tano68
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

thanks

#3 Postby tano68 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:32 am

Yeah, I had heard some people stayed on Grand Isle too. Committing suicide :cry: . I can't imagine anything left either. I'm from BR too, though I'm living in TX right now. Still own a home there, going to be renting it out to people from NO, that have no where to stay anymore.

Some of my family members left early from NO. My cousins got my aunt out of the nursing home there, Thank God, and left to go to Marksville to stay with other family members. Thank God they had the sense to do that!

Its just too much :cry:
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby alicia-w » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:12 am

0 likes   

tano68
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby tano68 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:15 am

thanks for directing me to that thread Alicia.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby beachbum_al » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:42 pm

According to the local reports here Dauphin Island was hit hard. The West End is damage with houses just completely gone. Fort Morgan was also hit hard. I am trying to find a link from our local media.

http://www.al.com/

Our local paper

Two local t.v. stations here
http://www.wkrg.com/

http://www.wpmi.com/

Hope this helps.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”