looters on tape

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

looters on tape

#1 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:47 am

with literally dozens, if not a hundred or more, looters caught on tape now... do you think the city of new orleans or state of louisiana (or whoever) will prosecute these scum of the earth individuals?

i sure hope they do. i hope they all rot.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Aquawind » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:54 am

If you can't eat it.. you go to jail..imo. Trying to survive is one thing..All of the food is going to spoil and be a write off anyway..If it's not a survival item take them to jail..Diapers and diamonds are not a survival item..some moms might disagree on the diapers thing..lol

:grr:
0 likes   

Lutrastorm
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby Lutrastorm » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:58 am

Last night the head of the Llousiana state police was on television and DID say they would use the videos being broadcast to prosecute looters. A clip of looters cleaning out a WalMart was running while that was being said.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby Persepone » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:08 am

I do think that if they do NOT make very serious attempts to prosecute the looters, we are all in serious trouble.

It does not matter WHAT they stole--the point is that the vast majority of people in similar situations do NOT loot!

In most parts of the world looters are shot on sight! By the authorities. Looting is a particularly heinous crime--much worse in a sense than ordinary burglary or theft because (if you want to consider a morality of thievery) looters are stealing from those who have already been victimized...

The law enforcement officials who participated in the looting should be prosecuted especially hard--both those who just stood by and those who actually grabbed stuff for themselves--even a bottle of water, etc.

And yes, even the children who looted should be sent to juvenile hall for looting. Unfortunately in this country we have tended to go much too easy on children who disobey the law. No, I don't think they should be put in jail with adult criminals or anything, but I do think the notion of "reform school" is a good one and those children should be sent there if they can be identified from the tapes.

The message that is going out is that New Orleans condones criminal behavior, that the place is full of immoral, predatory, thieves. I have to say that I, as a New Yorker, was in the city for some pretty horrendous stuff (including the big blackouts) and never saw this type of behavior! Frankly, New Yorkers are not as bad as what I'm seeing on TV. I would never consider going there on vacation after what I've seen on TV. And that is a very scary comment. Intellectually I know that is "wrong," but emotionally that's the effect watching the looting has had on me.
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby blueeyes_austin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:10 am

Looters are in the same category as pirates--"enemies of all mankind"--because both types of criminals perform their crimes outside the protection of civil society.
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:12 am

the order should be Shoot to kill, the only good looter is a dead looter!!!!! :grr: :grr: :grr:
0 likes   

tndefender
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby tndefender » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:23 am

Using the videotapes to identify and prosecute looters is a great idea in theory, but to work it requires the cooperation of the community. In other words, unless the police actually know the person on tape the police will need someone from that community (family, friends, associates) to come forward and identify him or her. I have serious doubts that would happen very much.
0 likes   

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:33 am

tndefender wrote:Using the videotapes to identify and prosecute looters is a great idea in theory, but to work it requires the cooperation of the community. In other words, unless the police actually know the person on tape the police will need someone from that community (family, friends, associates) to come forward and identify him or her. I have serious doubts that would happen very much.

you might be surprised. maybe not friends or family members (who were probably fellow looters)... but people tend to know people. like that lady wearing the yellow shirt in wal-mart. maybe her best friend wouldn't give her up... but somebody who watches that video of her raiding wal-mart would find her actions despicable enough to tip off authorities.
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby djtil » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:36 am

not a chance.
0 likes   

beenthru6
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby beenthru6 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:14 pm

Rick Levinthal on Fox just walked through the Hard Rock Cafe in Biloxi, and was pointing out all of the memorabilia still there. He pointed out Madonna's top that she wore on one of her tours, a guitar, a bunch of god records. Geez, why doesn't he just hold up a sign saying looters, come and get it?
0 likes   

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#11 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:30 pm

beenthru6 wrote:Rick Levinthal on Fox just walked through the Hard Rock Cafe in Biloxi, and was pointing out all of the memorabilia still there. He pointed out Madonna's top that she wore on one of her tours, a guitar, a bunch of god records. Geez, why doesn't he just hold up a sign saying looters, come and get it?

looting in mississippi isn't nearly as big of a problem because there is already a real presence down there. it's not like new orleans which is essentially cut off from the rest of the world.

yes, biloxi is probably in as bad or worse shape as new orleans in terms of structural damage... but help is arriving there; until the water is gone, New Orleans will remain a real problem.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”