I hope this is true

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

I hope this is true

#1 Postby Raebie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:52 am

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm

NAVY SHIPS AND MARITIME RESCUE TEAMS SENT TO REGION
Tue Aug 30 2005 21:33:11 ET

The Pentagon late Tuesday ordered five Navy ships and eight maritime rescue teams to the Gulf Coast to bolster relief operations as worsening conditions overwhelmed the initial response.

The NEW YORK TIMES plans to report later tonight: One Navy amphibious assault ship, the Bataan, with six Sea Stallion and Sea Hawk helicopters that could be used for search and rescue missions.

The ships will carry food, fuel, medical and construction supplies, as well as hovercraft that can be used for evacuation and search-and-rescue missions.

The Navy was also considering sending the hospital ship Comfort.

Developing...
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby artist » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:00 am

I had heard there were 4 going in this morning from Va. One was an aircraft carrier that would hold manyif needed.
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Aquawind » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:01 am

So do I..Even though our boarders are getting thin..Hopefully nobody decides to invade our military personel and gear is spread all over..ha ha Compromises are being made..no doubt.

Paul
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby JenBayles » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:04 am

I'm glad they're on the way. Just remember, not only does it take time to mobilize such an operation, but those ships aren't exactly speed boats. It's going to take a few days to reach them.
0 likes   

FernandinaBchFL
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#5 Postby FernandinaBchFL » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:10 am

I heard this morning that the JFK at Mayport Jax is on standby why isn't this group deployed first since they are the closer than VA
0 likes   

clfenwi
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby clfenwi » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:16 am

Bataan is already in the GOM (it was down there for training).

The other ships going down there from Norfolk are much better suited for the task at hand than the Kennedy. (Note that none of the ships are aircraft carriers, but two are amphibious assault ships).

Story from the Norfolk paper:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/st ... ran=103285
0 likes   

temujin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby temujin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:27 am

The Bataan is unloading Marines in south Mississippi, and launching rescue helicopters into Southeast Louisiana. It carries a complete Marine Expeditionary Unit of 2,000 men:

http://www.bataan.navy.mil/
0 likes   

kevin

#8 Postby kevin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:30 am

Good that is all we need. 2,000 marines should have been ready to go in as soon as the winds slowed down. At least they will be able to assume control of the area.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”