From the Superdome to the Astrodome

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

KLP124
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

From the Superdome to the Astrodome

#1 Postby KLP124 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:01 am

HOUSTON (AP) _ At least 25,000 of Hurricane Katrina's refugees, a majority of them at the New Orleans Superdome, will travel in a bus convoy to Houston starting Wednesday and will be sheltered at the 40-year-old Astrodome, which hasn't been used for professional sporting events in years.

Rusty Cornelius, administrative coordinator for the Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, told The Associated Press that initial plans were being made early Wednesday.

"We are planning on being able to do a full shelter operation for 25,000 people," he said.

Cornelius said the refugees would be bused to Houston, but all would not necessarily be on the road at the same time. He said specifics of the transport and housing for the refugees were still being worked out with the Red Cross and state government officials.

"We want to accommodate those people as quickly as possible for the simple reason they have been through a horrible ordeal," he said.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco has said she wanted the Superdome _ which had become a shelter of last resort for about 20,000 people _ evacuated within two days, along with other gathering points for storm refugees. The situation inside the dank and sweltering Superdome was becoming desperate: The water was rising, the air conditioning was out, toilets were broken, and tempers were rising.

The Astrodome is the famed landmark that helped put Houston on the map four decades ago. It still stands but is dwarfed by Reliant Stadium, the Houston Texans newly constructed home.

The Astrodome opened in 1965, 10 years before the Superdome in New Orleans.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby wx247 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:03 am

At least they will have sanitation, food, water, medical care, and a/c.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Roxy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:05 am

Good idea.
0 likes   

stormie_skies
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby stormie_skies » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:10 am

Thats a wonderful idea! :D The Astrodome has just been sitting there forever anyways....I'm glad we as a city get the chance to help out and be good neighbors.
0 likes   

periwrinkle
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#5 Postby periwrinkle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:24 am

Are they going to weed out the unsavory people before transporting them, and provide shelter for them elsewhere?

I got the impression from the Governor last night, that part of the problem was that quite a few people had in the dome had no concern for others, and that was part of the problem
0 likes   

janswizard
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby janswizard » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:32 am

Just wondering out loud here...

I understand the reason for moving these people from the Superdome but I don't quite understand the reasoning behind putting them into another like facility.

Yes, there will be food, water, airconditioning and restroom facilities but how long can the city of Houston handle this? Twenty thousand people are a lot of people. It will take weeks for many of them to get over the sheer shock of this situation and for people who were already on the edge, many of them may not be able to emotionally survive this.

Does Houston have other opportunities they are able to offer these people? Is there a job market in Houston? Will any of these poor people be able to find jobs to help support themselves and their families? What about housing? As generous as the offer of the Astrodome is, are their opportunities to start over? Are there small Mom and Pop motels (or even larger chains) that would be willing to discount their rates so that families can regroup?

On a side note, I also went through two hurricanes last year in my area. I can honestly say that I thought conditions could not get any worse that what we were living under. After seeing the last few days news, I know that what we went through is peanuts compared to what the people from the Gulf states are going through. At least my house was still standing, even if we didn't have electric or running water. And my job was still there for me once basic services were restored.

I can't imagine what many of these people must be thinking - to leave the only home they have ever known and be moved to another state without knowing what lays in store for them.
0 likes   

gtalum
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby gtalum » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:36 am

janswizard wrote:Just wondering out loud here...

I understand the reason for moving these people from the Superdome but I don't quite understand the reasoning behind putting them into another like facility.

Yes, there will be food, water, airconditioning and restroom facilities but how long can the city of Houston handle this?

It's a temporary fix, and these people need something NOW before peopel start dying of disease. Food, water, AC, and restrooms are life and death for these folks right now.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby sunny » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:41 am

gtalum wrote:

Yes, there will be food, water, airconditioning and restroom facilities but how long can the city of Houston handle this?

It's a temporary fix, and these people need something NOW before peopel start dying of disease. Food, water, AC, and restrooms are life and death for these folks right now.

THANK YOU.
0 likes   

mascpa
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby mascpa » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:45 am

[quote="periwrinkle"]Are they going to weed out the unsavory people before transporting them, and provide shelter for them elsewhere?

How would they do that, make the decision as to who is "unsavory" and who is not?
0 likes   

periwrinkle
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#10 Postby periwrinkle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:54 am

How would they do that, make the decision as to who is "unsavory" and who is not?

I would imagine that they have a very good diea of who has been giving them problems. At the very least, they need to get more people into the Astrodome to help keep order.
0 likes   

EDR1222
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby EDR1222 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:54 am

Thats a great idea to move the people there. Hopefully they can get them out very soon.
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Roxy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:55 am

Yes, there will be food, water, airconditioning and restroom facilities but how long can the city of Houston handle this? Twenty thousand people are a lot of people. It will take weeks for many of them to get over the sheer shock of this situation and for people who were already on the edge, many of them may not be able to emotionally survive this.

Does Houston have other opportunities they are able to offer these people? Is there a job market in Houston? Will any of these poor people be able to find jobs to help support themselves and their families? What about housing? As generous as the offer of the Astrodome is, are their opportunities to start over? Are there small Mom and Pop motels (or even larger chains) that would be willing to discount their rates so that families can regroup?

The answer is yes. You should hear the phone calls into the radio stations this morning. People are offering their homes, mom and pop hotels are offering half price rooms. People are getting food together, churches are feeding people. People are staying at furniture store showrooms, firestations..you name it. People are donating tons of cash.

I can't say about jobs, but Houston can certainly handle feeding and housing these people as long as necessary.
Last edited by Roxy on Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

stormie_skies
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby stormie_skies » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:55 am

On a side note, I also went through two hurricanes last year in my area. I can honestly say that I thought conditions could not get any worse that what we were living under. After seeing the last few days news, I know that what we went through is peanuts compared to what the people from the Gulf states are going through. At least my house was still standing, even if we didn't have electric or running water. And my job was still there for me once basic services were restored.

I can't imagine what many of these people must be thinking - to leave the only home they have ever known and be moved to another state without knowing what lays in store for them.

First, I will agree with the others in that this is meant to be a temporary fix to a very real and pressing problem - I am sure no one expects there to be 20,000 people living in the Astrodome a year from now. These people need the basics right now, and the Astrodome - along with the city of Houston - can certainly give them that.

As far as long term residency is concerned....I am quite sure that there is plenty of opportunity in the Houston metro for anyone who needs a job or a place to live. Houston is the fourth largest city in the US, remember ... if our economy cannot handle an influx of 20,000 people, I am not sure whose can. The cost of living here is relatively low, so it won't be a huge adjustment from the costs in New Orleans. We have a large port and petrochemical facilities, so I am sure people who worked in these fields could find suitable jobs here if they wanted to stay.

But I am quite sure that many - if not most - of these people are anxious to get back to the state they love. Houston is close enough to New Orleans to allow people to go back and forth and check on their homes, while trying to maintain some sense of relative normalcy.
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby alicia-w » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:01 am

Unsavory?

When they're all homeless, wet, hungry, thirsty, dirty, and exhausted, I cant imagine that they'll ever be more equal than they are now....

No one in that situation is entitled to safety and security any more than another. JMO
0 likes   

tndefender
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby tndefender » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:02 am

The City of Memphis has at least 2 very large climate controlled facilities that are virtually unused, the Midsouth Coliseum and the Pyramid. I don't know if it will do any good but I have written the mayor's office suggesting we make these or other sites available to Gulf Coast refugees (its not just the people of New Orleans that are homeless now).
0 likes   

blueeyes_austin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#16 Postby blueeyes_austin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:08 am

alicia-w wrote:Unsavory?

When they're all homeless, wet, hungry, thirsty, dirty, and exhausted, I cant imagine that they'll ever be more equal than they are now....

No one in that situation is entitled to safety and security any more than another. JMO

Nice thought. Want a puppy to go with it?

Folks, I URGE you to do a bit of research into refugee camps. It is absolutely critical for the authorities running these facilities to deal swiftly with the, yes, UNSAVORY elements of their population. The inmates CANNOT be let to run the asylum.
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#17 Postby Houstonia » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:10 am

Roxy wrote:

The answer is yes. You should hear the phone calls into the radio stations this morning. People are offering their homes, mom and pop hotels are offering half price rooms. People are getting food together, churches are feeding people. People are staying at furniture store showrooms, firestations..you name it. People are donating tons of cash.

I can't say about jobs, but Houston can certainly handle feeding and housing these people as long as necessary.

You bet - and it's why I'm proud to be a Houstonian and a Texan. Right now there's a local telethon going on. People are paying 100$ cash to hear their songs played on a local radio station. I work for the county library system, and we offer visitor cards, computer access and storytime for the evacuees, the museums, some local restarants, and other places are offering reduced admission. HISD is allowing students to be registered into classes here.

bring on the 'Cajuns'.... y'all have a home with us for as long as you need it...
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby alicia-w » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:11 am

Nice thought. Want a puppy to go with it?

That's not really called for.
0 likes   

periwrinkle
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#19 Postby periwrinkle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:12 am

They are ALL hungry, thirsty, tired, wet and in need of shelter. I am not suggesting that we deny ANYONE the shelter or care that they need. But honestly, there are going to be some people that are overly aggressive.
Most of the people in that dome are good people, regardless of their economic status, but I think that the situation for all could be improved if a small percentage were to be sheltered someplace else.

WHen I watched the Governor last night, she seemed very upset when she said that there were some people that were unconcerned for the wellfare of others (don't remember her exact wording) She then followed it by saying that there were a lot of really good people in that dome.

By saying that, she is implying that there are some who are not.

I can't imagine they are going to come out and openly say," there are people in here that are hurting others" but I can't for a minute believe that isn't true. The individuals that can not contol their impulses need to be safely housed in another shelter. They need to do it for the safety of everyone.
0 likes   

janswizard
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby janswizard » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:23 am

Folks from Houston, thank you for answering my questions. I feel better knowing that the local people are stepping up to the plate in offering help. From where I sit, I can only donate to the Red Cross or Salvation Army and hope that my money will help some individual that needs it and not be eaten up in administrative costs. I also didn't know that Houston was close enough to New Orleans that people could travel back and forth to check on progress once the recovery process begins. I was imagining a couple days of travel involved; shows you just how much I know. Thank you for the responses.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”