do you think anyone in new orleans will ever "ride it o

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

do you think anyone in new orleans will ever "ride it o

#1 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:16 am

do you think people in new orleans will ever choose to ride it out again?

i know there will be some that simply can't get out... but do you think people who are able to will ever say "i think we can ride it out. it will probably miss us." if in fact it appears new orleans has a serious probability of taking a bad hit?

i ask because sometimes i wonder if those who did survive the storm and merely saw water rise up maybe 6 or 8 feet in downtown will just head to high ground... do they realize that just because their home may not be destroyed, that isn't the problem -- the destruction is much worse in biloxi and gulfport. the problem is the logistics of getting aid to these people and sustaining life in the aquarium that is new orleans.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby beachbum_al » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:21 am

Honestly I think you will have a few who will but hopefully it will be a very long time.
0 likes   

djtil
Category 2
Category 2

#3 Postby djtil » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:21 am

of course, many will again have no alternative.
0 likes   

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:29 am

djtil wrote:of course, many will again have no alternative.

i'm sorry, but i really don't buy this.

people without cars can find a ride by hitchhiking. they can walk out of danger.

i didn't think being poor was an excuse not to leave. you can find someone who will drive you north. there are plenty of good samaritans out there.

furthermore, the city of new orleans, i believe, did a relatively poor job in getting people out of the city. i felt the evacuation order came relatively late in the ball game... and had it come 12 or 24 hours earlier, perhaps buses or planes could have been used to get people who had no other way out of the city... out.

in dealing with the very elderly and sick, hospitals should probably put a contingency plan into action a day or two earlier.

basically, a lot of the people who had "no way out" really still should have been able to find a way out. you can't ask someone for a ride to hattiesburg, but you don't mind breaking into that person's house and stealing their jewelry? hmmm.

and these are the people we are trying to help? hmmm.
0 likes   

swampdude
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby swampdude » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:55 am

I'm afraid it will be a case of dimming memories very fast. Bynext year we will hear, " It can't happen again" or "this is only a category 2 storm". I wish I were wrong but 50 years of observing human nature tells me otherwise. :(
0 likes   

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:56 am

swampdude wrote:I'm afraid it will be a case of dimming memories very fast. Bynext year we will hear, " It can't happen again" or "this is only a category 2 storm". I wish I were wrong but 50 years of observing human nature tells me otherwise. :(

yeah i think you are right. the post 9/11 patriotic fervor sure didn't last long.
0 likes   

eolian
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby eolian » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:41 am

Well in IMHO people that left will be the ones who will probably try to ride out the next one. It will cost them several hundred to thousands of dollars for motels unless they get into a shelter somewhere. And if their property gets looted or they see this looting going on and think there stuff may get looted they will be more likely to ride out the next one...
0 likes   

inotherwords
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby inotherwords » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 am

eolian, FEMA reimburses them for their hotel or apartment. I rented a cottage to a displaced Charley couple last year and FEMA paid their rent for seven months.

Looting is an issue, but when your home will be under water up to the rooftop, there's not going to be much left anyway, so why stay to "protect" it?
0 likes   

eolian
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#9 Postby eolian » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:09 pm

My thoughts were about people who`s property after the storm had minor damage like broken glass and now which may get looted in the aftermath. I would have thought there would have been a huge influx of National Guard to keep order but it seems so many people stayed despited the mandatory evacuation order the amount of troops there are no where near enough. But putting myself in a simular situation if my business wasnt damaged by the storm and i got looted i would stay next time....IMHO
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby sunny » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:11 pm

swampdude wrote:I'm afraid it will be a case of dimming memories very fast. Bynext year we will hear, " It can't happen again" or "this is only a category 2 storm". I wish I were wrong but 50 years of observing human nature tells me otherwise. :(

Dimming memories? lol - don't think so!
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”