Just Heard A Terrible Story From Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

BlowinNTheWind
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Just Heard A Terrible Story From Ocean Springs, Mississippi

#1 Postby BlowinNTheWind » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:45 am

My buddy's girlfriends parents live in Ocean Springs, Mississippi which is one of the towns there has been almost no news coverage from along with Pass Christian..Bay St Louis and Waveland...They evacuated to Meridian and were fine...they finally got back this morning..there house was completely gone along with every other one on the street..they were also told that 7 of their neighbors at least are confirmed dead...I think the death tolls from these cities is going to be staggering when the numbers start being released...
0 likes   

Canelaw99
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Canelaw99 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 am

Thank goodness they evacuated when they could. How horrible for them :(
0 likes   

KG4HPN
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby KG4HPN » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:37 pm

What was the location of their house? I have a co-worker who has friends on Davidson Road that he is concerned about.

Thanks!
-Jet
0 likes   

scostorms
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby scostorms » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:00 pm

Off topicish, but the storm surge took the houses right? How did it come along, as a 20 foot wave? Or water that slowly started rising, CNN isn't saying it good. All they say is a 20 foot wave took away the houses. Well, I guess this is kind of in topic.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:07 pm

There's several members from Ocean Springs unaccounted for...

:cry:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Tehuantepecer
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6 Postby Tehuantepecer » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:12 pm

Thanks for the information. My brother still has not been allowed out of the hospital in Biloxi and has not heard anything about his home in Ocean Springs. We can only hope that 'no news is good news' regarding people in Ocean Springs.
0 likes   

Courtnay Mccullers
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby Courtnay Mccullers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:36 pm

i rode this storm out in ocean springs, away from the surge.

the wind was high... i gusted to 127 before my roof which held my anemometer was ripped off.

i didn't take a look at the surge-affected areas when i left immediately after the storm (fled to Citronelle, AL).

pure wind damage between Ocean Springs and Citronelle was extensive to trees and power lines. wind damage to structures was moderately heavy in ocean springs/pascagoula/moss point, and minor to moderate once i headed north and east into mobile county, alabama.

i do have a feeling though looking at the pictures from gulfport and biloxi from the surge that ocean springs didn't take it too well either.

plus, our mayor who evidently rode the storm out in the city is missing.
0 likes   

traciepb
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby traciepb » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:06 pm

I'm afraid that we are only going to hear more about deaths in smaller communities as well as time passes. I checked in to a hotel in Tallahassee today (which is jam packed with evacuees) and of course, this disaster was the topic. One older gentlemen heard a friend and I talking, and walked over and said.. "in my town, there's 100 dead - and you won't see that on the news". I'm not sure what that meant, and he seemed too distraught for me to ask where he was from.

My heart goes out to everyone. So many lives are changed forever.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”