CBS Just Reported

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

CBS Just Reported

#1 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:07 pm

Dept. of Homeland Security for first time ever is taking over all operations related to disaster recovery.

Everyone still in N.O. MUST evacuate; it may take WEEKS to get everyone out.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:11 pm

Also Law enforcement was addressed. They feel that the local and nation Guard can handle the law enforcement alone.They are under the direction of the state and govenor. There has been no request for martial law that could be emplemented only by the president, which then would send active duty soldiers in to do law enforcement.
0 likes   

JamesFromMaine2
Category 4
Category 4

#3 Postby JamesFromMaine2 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:16 pm

ok why can't the news get their story right? Yesterday Offical news came that martial law had been actvated now today they are saying it hasn't been? Last night I hear that the breach is 500feet wide and today I hear its 200feet wide? Come on will they make up their minds! lol I have no clue who to believe any more! I wish for once we could get a straight story out of N.O. thats not going to be changed in a few hours! lol
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#4 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:19 pm

After looking at those satellite images it's a miracle that we already know what we do.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:21 pm

JamesFromMaine2 wrote:ok why can't the news get their story right? Yesterday Offical news came that martial law had been actvated now today they are saying it hasn't been? Last night I hear that the breach is 500feet wide and today I hear its 200feet wide? Come on will they make up their minds! lol I have no clue who to believe any more! I wish for once we could get a straight story out of N.O. thats not going to be changed in a few hours! lol

Put it this way.... As long as it is only Nat Guard, they are only augmenting civil authorities. They are only supporting civil. They answer to the state not the national authorities.
If ever we see ACTIVE DUTY soldiers, THEN that would be martial law. They answer only to the President. They are saying that at this point, this is a LAST resort and it is not needed.
I don't think we will see this ran like they did for Andrew.
No tent cities, no chow lines ect.... Astrodome will be contracting out for food. Seems the states are trying to handle this WITHOUT the help of the military.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby LSU2001 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:22 pm

JamesFromMaine2 wrote:ok why can't the news get their story right? Yesterday Offical news came that martial law had been actvated now today they are saying it hasn't been? Last night I hear that the breach is 500feet wide and today I hear its 200feet wide? Come on will they make up their minds! lol I have no clue who to believe any more! I wish for once we could get a straight story out of N.O. thats not going to be changed in a few hours! lol

There are several breaches in the levee system not just one. This could be the source of conflicting info. Also there has been conflicting information about the number of people in the superdome. Gov. Blanco says the number is around 25,000.
TIM
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Mattie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Mattie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:27 pm

One other point brought by a news report this morning was that we will lose much of the coverage that we are getting now with the total evacuation of the city - no one will be there to report first hand. Not much to report on from the air but "still flooded", yep - "still flooded" day after day.
0 likes   

gunner1551
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby gunner1551 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:31 pm

You have no clue because they have none either. communacations breakdowns are everywhere, unfortunitly.
0 likes   

soonertwister
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby soonertwister » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:44 pm

It's hard to determine whether or not things are getting better faster than they are getting worse. The hospitals have hundreds of patients and have run out of fuel for the generators. Apparently there are still thousands of people on rooftops (or stuck in attics) that haven't been rescued, presumably those people haven't had any water or food for two days.

In Jefferson Parish things are going downhill fast. Water is running over I-10 at the Jefferson/Orleans line and filling up the parish with water. There isn't a lot of dry ground, and people are scrambling to reach the West Bank (wherever that is), which is a high spot.

Persons from NOLA are coming into to Jefferson in search of water, food and shelter; the refugees are increasing by a reported 200 per hour, and the officials are begging for basic necessities of life. Apparently they haven't had any water for some time.

It's kind of overwhelming when you read stuff like this and realize what a truly dire situation it is.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”