100 babies need to be transported out!!!

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

100 babies need to be transported out!!!

#1 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:42 pm

Guy on CNN works for Arcadian Ambulance Service says they need 100 newborns transported by dark. Says the crime in NO makes it too dangerous to move the babies after dark. BEGGING for MILITARY intervention!!!! Says that hospitals have been taken over, people are pushing over ambulances........that it is UNSAFE to be in the city due to the CRIME!
0 likes   

storm4u
Category 2
Category 2

#2 Postby storm4u » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:46 pm

this just gets worse and worse! I cant beleive there are gangs out after all this! :grrr: hope the babies are ok!!
0 likes   

Mattie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Mattie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:48 pm

The babies are being airlifted today - Yes there is crime - but the hospitals are locked. Everyone being evacuated. There isn't any working hospitals so I have no idea where these ambulances are going - they are evacuating people - not admitting new patients. They are beginning to retrieve the bodies however.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:52 pm

Mattie wrote:The babies are being airlifted today - Yes there is crime - but the hospitals are locked. Everyone being evacuated. There isn't any working hospitals so I have no idea where these ambulances are going - they are evacuating people - not admitting new patients. They are beginning to retrieve the bodies however.

This guy apparently has been asked to trasport these babies......he says he has 126 ambulances. Needs more. But it is unsafe to transport after dark. Also says the hospitals have been calling because scavengers are trying to break into the hospitals.

Not sure how they are going to "AIRLIFT" all of these people, based on the number of Copters. Babies, from neonatal units, include equipment, the people at the dome......it just keeps getting worse.
0 likes   

BLHutch
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5 Postby BLHutch » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:58 pm

My father works at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. He has been in Louisiana working with the dozens of hospitals and air ambulance services that have come to help out. He's been there since Tuesday morning. It is my understanding that they are taking them out by helicopter and flying them to Baton Rouge (I think) and then flying them by air ambulance (plane rather than helicopter) to various other hospitals.

I spoke to him briefly a couple of hours ago. He said the situation is pretty bad, but they are working as best they can. He also said that he probably won't be home for a while, obviously. They are planning on staying until all the patients have been taken care of (both child and adult).

Brady H.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:06 pm

BLHutch wrote:My father works at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston. He has been in Louisiana working with the dozens of hospitals and air ambulance services that have come to help out. He's been there since Tuesday morning. It is my understanding that they are taking them out by helicopter and flying them to Baton Rouge (I think) and then flying them by air ambulance (plane rather than helicopter) to various other hospitals.

I spoke to him briefly a couple of hours ago. He said the situation is pretty bad, but they are working as best they can. He also said that he probably won't be home for a while, obviously. They are planning on staying until all the patients have been taken care of (both child and adult).

Brady H.

Thank him for all of his hard work.......but mainly tell him to be safe. Seems even some of the reporters are moving away based on the crime levels and gun play going on in the city.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby CajunMama » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:08 pm

They've been airlifting babies. Acadian Ambulance has gone in and transported 25 neonatal infants, this being reported in this mornings Daily Advertiser. Some are here, some were moved to north LA and then will be going on to Arkansas.
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby tailgater » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:13 pm

Mattie wrote:The babies are being airlifted today - Yes there is crime - but the hospitals are locked. Everyone being evacuated. There isn't any working hospitals so I have no idea where these ambulances are going - they are evacuating people - not admitting new patients. They are beginning to retrieve the bodies however.

They are being transport by choppers and ambulances to Woman's hospital in Baton Rouge, My daughter-in-law works there (in the Neonatal care unit as an RN), they are being overwhelmed with babies. I think she said they received 45 infants in a very short time. I'm sure some parents don't have any idea where thier children are, what Choas.
0 likes   

N2Storms
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby N2Storms » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:26 pm

I talked to a friend of my mine at lunch and he was telling me that his niece and nephew who live in Slidell evacuated here in Panama City. They have a newborn in a hospital in Slidell who has been hospitalized over a week with some sort of bacterial infection...they went to bring him home Sat. before evacuating to Panama City and the Dr. told them that they baby was too weak and was not ready to leave the hospital. When his uncle insisted that he would stay with the baby he was informed that no one would be allowed to stay except patients and hospital personnel. They have been here since Sat. and have been unable to contact the hospital and they have no idea how their baby is doing.
0 likes   

Roxy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Roxy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:21 pm

N2Storms wrote:I talked to a friend of my mine at lunch and he was telling me that his niece and nephew who live in Slidell evacuated here in Panama City. They have a newborn in a hospital in Slidell who has been hospitalized over a week with some sort of bacterial infection...they went to bring him home Sat. before evacuating to Panama City and the Dr. told them that they baby was too weak and was not ready to leave the hospital. When his uncle insisted that he would stay with the baby he was informed that no one would be allowed to stay except patients and hospital personnel. They have been here since Sat. and have been unable to contact the hospital and they have no idea how their baby is doing.

That's heartbreaking.

:cry:
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”