Time for churches...

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

MomH
Category 1
Category 1

Time for churches...

#1 Postby MomH » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:04 pm

to get organized at the national level. If most of the churches of every denomination would "adopt" one family for the next few months we could overcome what may be the biggest economic disaster this nation has ever faced. I'm not talking hand outs forever--I'm talking funding them until the church can help them find a place to live and a job in the church's area. Helping them by transporting them from the devasted areas to the church's locale. Helping them by gathering the household necessities and clothes they need. Helping them by extending their love and respect. Helping them by providing the physical and mental support they need and very soon.

It could be done and would help alieve the need for tent cities and Fema trailors. If the government picks up all the cost of this disaster the nation will pay dearly for it economically.

I wish I knew how to get hold of national church leaders.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#2 Postby Persepone » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:11 pm

This is not a bad idea at all!

After 9/11 a lot of people were moved out of the city--especially people whose jobs had been lost, etc. or who could not get back into their homes into such unlikely places as rural New Hampshire where there was housing, jobs, etc. for them. I think those were temporary jobs and temporary housing, but I also think it was a church effort.... Some went back to NYC after a while, some just relocated.

I don't know who, in the end, "sponsored" this but I was aware of people asking for very specific sizes of clothing, etc. for specific families.

While it might be a culture shock to move some distance to a different part of the country, on the other hand, it would get children, etc. away from the disaster scenes. So moving families on a "one by one" basis might not be a bad idea at all.
0 likes   

temujin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby temujin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:43 pm

The Southern Baptist Convention is the second largest disaster relief charity in the United States, after the Red Cross. They are already rolling: http://www.bpnews.org/
0 likes   

MomH
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby MomH » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:04 pm

Very good but not what I meant. We need to embrace families not just send money though it is needed.

Don't guess I can adequately express what I'm feeling. These people need more than a roof over their heads - they need love and caring.
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby beachbum_al » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:56 pm

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/index_new.htm

Here is the national episcopal church site. I agree but it takes more than money. These people need someone to listen to them, hear their story, and be there for them.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:22 pm

The Christian Church(Disciples of Christ) is doing something similar. I posted about it in the For Texans and Everyone-Oppurtunites to help thread here in talking tropics. It isn't exactly what you are talking about, but it is similar. We are also doing much on the local level here since we probably have upwards of 30,000 LA refugees here in Houston once the dome refugees arrive.

One thing I want to point out is that a lot of these organizations can facilitate just what you are talking about MomH if they have the money available. I would start with the numbers on the S2K home page and keep asking to speak to the one in charge of rellief until they tell you they are the one, then pass along the idea.
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby lurkey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:52 pm

I would also like to point out the that there is a large Catholic population in Louisana, so you know that Catholic Church and associated charities are there also.. .

Here this list includes some of the religious-affiliated charitiable organizations are asking for donations for Hurricane Katrina Relief
0 likes   

MomH
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby MomH » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:57 pm

Finally dawned on me. I e-mailed the National Council of Churches this afternoon. Copied my idea and ask that they consider informing their member churches. Haven't heard anything yet.
0 likes   

birdwomn
Category 1
Category 1

#9 Postby birdwomn » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:36 pm

I think this is a great idea and I am sure local churches throughout the country would be willing to help.

I think the problem is that people from the area will want to stay close to the area and get back ASAP, which right now, they probably think will be soon.
0 likes   

memphisvol
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#10 Postby memphisvol » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:40 pm

temujin wrote:The Southern Baptist Convention is the second largest disaster relief charity in the United States, after the Red Cross. They are already rolling: http://www.bpnews.org/

Bellevue Baptist (largest in SBC?) here in memphis is opening the gym to 300 refugees starting tomorrow
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”