GPT Airport

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

mommasue
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

GPT Airport

#1 Postby mommasue » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:42 pm

I am trying to get back to Jackson County, MS. Does anybody know if or when the Biloxi/Gulfport will reopen for commercial flights? When I tried to reschedule my flight back today, they said that they have scheduled flights into Gulfport, but I find this hard to believe with all the destruction in that area and to fly into Mobile instead of Gulfport, Continental wanted $206.00 in addition to the fare I already paid. My family came through Katrina OK (we live about 25 miles north of Pascagoula). Any info would be great.
0 likes   

cancunkid
Category 1
Category 1

#2 Postby cancunkid » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:45 pm

My mother told me last night that they were expecting to open but I have got to believe that isn't commercial traffic. My cousin works there in security and I haven't been able to locate her yet but since the house is gone I can't imagine how anyone could be expected to go to work.
0 likes   

Mello1
Category 1
Category 1

Re: GPT Airport

#3 Postby Mello1 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:03 pm

mommasue wrote:I am trying to get back to Jackson County, MS. Does anybody know if or when the Biloxi/Gulfport will reopen for commercial flights? When I tried to reschedule my flight back today, they said that they have scheduled flights into Gulfport, but I find this hard to believe with all the destruction in that area and to fly into Mobile instead of Gulfport, Continental wanted $206.00 in addition to the fare I already paid. My family came through Katrina OK (we live about 25 miles north of Pascagoula). Any info would be great.

You need to call the airline back and ask them for confirmation that that GPT is open or will be open. Ask to speak to a supervisor and make sure that they are American. No offense to our Indian friends, but the outsourced operators can't possibly know what is going on in the United States. Also, go to the official state website and look under transportation to see if you can find the status of the airport.

I highly doubt the port is open now and when it does, flights may be restricted. However if you are anxious to get back, you may have to pay extra fly into Mobile and then drive over to Gulfport.
0 likes   

AL Chili Pepper
Category 3
Category 3

Re: GPT Airport

#4 Postby AL Chili Pepper » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:10 pm

mommasue wrote:I am trying to get back to Jackson County, MS. Does anybody know if or when the Biloxi/Gulfport will reopen for commercial flights? When I tried to reschedule my flight back today, they said that they have scheduled flights into Gulfport, but I find this hard to believe with all the destruction in that area and to fly into Mobile instead of Gulfport, Continental wanted $206.00 in addition to the fare I already paid. My family came through Katrina OK (we live about 25 miles north of Pascagoula). Any info would be great.

You also might want to check fares into Pensacola. It'd be a longer haul, but you might save a few bucks.
0 likes   

MBismyPlayground
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MBismyPlayground » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:13 pm

Just an add on here.
I would make darn good and sure I mention WHY it is paramount that you get home! I think the circumstances you are in may have an impact.
(you are the one who was at a class reuinion with 5 kids at home with hubbie, right??)
0 likes   

schmita
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby schmita » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:41 pm

I would definetly call Continental back and tell them your circumstances. They should not be charging you extra!! That's ridiculous.
I think the media should know about this.

Good Luck
irina
0 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby N2FSU » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:54 pm

As of early this afternoon the Gulfport (KGPT) airport was still closed.
I am a pilot and I checked the NOTAMS (Notices to Airmen) for that airport for a possible relief flight, and they advised it is closed. No word yet on when it will reopen. There is also a Temporary Flight Restriction for that whole area of the Gulf coast which prohibits any flights below 5000 ft except those involved in relief efforts/ medevac.
0 likes   

mommasue
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby mommasue » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:00 pm

Yep that's me! I have tried to explain why I need to get back and they still say sorry it will cost you extra to fly into Mobile (I'm only 17 miles from the Mobile airport, but it is cheaper to fly out of GPT) I've heard that the tower at GPT was destroyed and the terminal damaged. Still they were telling me that flights were scheduled for GPT, I can see me flying into Houston and getting stuck there for who knows how long perhaps I should try Pensacola....
0 likes   

beachbum_al
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby beachbum_al » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:01 pm

I don't know about the airport but I do know that flying into Pensacola Airport is cheaper than the Mobile Airport. My husband always flies out of Pensacola even though we live in Fairhope because the fare is couple hundred of dollars cheaper. Might check there. Also tell them that you left because of Katrina and they might work with you on this.
0 likes   

mommasue
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby mommasue » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:56 am

Just wanted to thank everybody that replied to my post, I have good news! I tried Continental one more time and got a ticket agent that went out of her way to help me, not only did she get the extra charge waived but helped me with times that worked out for my families on both ends. I will be going back to MS Gulf Coast on Sept 6th..
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”