Hospital taken over by gunmen

Discuss the recovery and aftermath of landfalling hurricanes. Please be sensitive to those that have been directly impacted. Political threads will be deleted without notice. This is the place to come together not divide.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Hospital taken over by gunmen

#1 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:28 pm

Just reported on WDSU a nurse from Charity Hospital text msgs said armed gunmen have taken over and are looting supplies.

http://www.wdsu.com/video/4907831/detail.html
Last edited by CaptinCrunch on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

loon
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby loon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:32 pm

Here we go....=[

Soon once the military gets there I'm afraid their will be US on US killings in attempt to keep control of the area...=[
0 likes   

damicatz
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby damicatz » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:56 pm

I thought the cell phone networks were down? How did a text message get out?
0 likes   

lester
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Hospital taken over by gunmen

#4 Postby lester » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:00 pm

CaptinCrunch wrote:Just reported on WDSU a nurse from Charity Hospital text msgs said armed gunmen have taken over and are looting supplies.

http://www.wdsu.com/video/4907831/detail.html

pray for the victims :cry: :cry:
0 likes   

vacanechaser
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby vacanechaser » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:06 pm

damicatz wrote:I thought the cell phone networks were down? How did a text message get out?

Not sure, but I will tell you that last night, Mark Sudduth drove back into Mississippi, gulfport, and was able to text me and send email using the Sprint Wireless network.... That way I could update the site, hurricanetrack.com , however, after finding that he could email, he was able to update it himself....

strange stuff..

Jesse V. Bass III
http://www.vastormphoto.com
hurricane Intercept Research Team
0 likes   
Jesse V. Bass III
Hurricane Intercept Research Team

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby sunny » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:09 pm

vacanechaser wrote:
damicatz wrote:I thought the cell phone networks were down? How did a text message get out?

Not sure, but I will tell you that last night, Mark Sudduth drove back into Mississippi, gulfport, and was able to text me and send email using the Sprint Wireless network.... That way I could update the site, hurricanetrack.com , however, after finding that he could email, he was able to update it himself....

strange stuff..

Jesse V. Bass III
hurricane Intercept Research Team

It is difficult, but we have also managed to contact a few people we know who are still in New Orleans.
0 likes   

TSmith274
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby TSmith274 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:11 pm

Charity Hospital has been totally evacuated. I'd wait for AP confirmation here too.
0 likes   

therealashe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby therealashe » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:30 pm

This is from NOLA.com

No Children's Hospital Looting
4:35 p.m.

Doug Mittelstaedt, vice-president of Human Resources for Children's Hospital in New Orleans, said one of the biggest issues at the hospital on Wednesday was debunking the prevalent rumor that looters had stormed the hospital.

Mittelstaedt said things actually were operating smoothly at the hospital - the generator was running efficiently and efforts to relocate patients were going well - but fighting the rumor was a major issue.

Officials had to lock the doors of the hospital because people had arrived, apparently thinking there was a mob scene and they could get in on looting.

He said the hospital has been flooded with calls offering assistance from other Children's Hospitals in Louisiana and Texas. "The amount of calls we have gotten for support have been overwhelming," Mittelstaedt said. "The phones literally have been ringing off the hook."

With so many calls, Mittelstaedt said officials have been able to match up the 100 patients with hospitals that specialize in the particular treatments for each.
0 likes   

Return to “Hurricane Recovery and Aftermath”