Storm2k to 8,751,249 posts

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#21 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:44 pm

Tom you are doing great doing all the stats and continue to do so helping us with numbers and % about different things in storm2k. :)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

OtherHD
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby OtherHD » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:10 pm

There's nothing bad about it, but it does skew the post counts by over 70,000. Most posts in that forum, as I have said before, are just one word long. Somebody new will come in and think that we really have 150,000 posts even though almost half of then are just a bunch of one word posts. By having it to where posts in that forum don't count (which is a moot suggestion because it can't be done technically as MF said), people would come in and see that we have 100,000 quality posts. I'll be honest, I don't consider random one word blurbs to be of much quality.

AND SOMEONE PLEASE POINT OUT WHERE I SAID THAT I WANTED TO REMOVE THE GAMES FORUM!!!
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#23 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:15 pm

I know you didn't say to remove the Fun & Games forum. My post count goes up when I post there like everyone else. I know of some message boards that post count only goes up after you post a certain number of words... if that isn't the case here we rack up the posts.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:51 pm

Somebody new will come in and think that we really have 150,000 posts even though almost half of then are just a bunch of one word posts

and the problem with that is?

Just playing devils advocate
0 likes   

OtherHD
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby OtherHD » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:00 pm

It seems misleading to me...
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:02 pm

I don't see why you think that one word posts are not quality. If I say the word, "Tornado!" it is a whole lot more informative than "Well I um see you can I it." That is a weird example, but it shows that quality isn't necessarily expressed in quantity. That one word is much better than the other whole sentence. Your definition of quality must be different than mine. And say for a minute that the fun and games forum didn't count, like someone else (Tom I believe) mentioned people could just bump up their totals by posting useless posts in the other forums such as Tropics... making the "quality" of the whole board suffer.

And nowhere did you say that you wanted to close the fun and games forum... that is correct. But I said that by taking away the post totals (which we know is not possible) from the games then that forum would die. So yes... in essence your suggestion could close that forum down or make its use very minimal.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:06 pm

OtherHD wrote:It seems misleading to me...

OtherHD -- nowhere does it say that we have reached 150,000 "quality posts" as you like to call them. It says 150,000 posts. A post is a post is a post. If we start only counting posts that are quality, not very many of mine would count... even in the tropics or USA Weather Forum. :lol:

You also mention people coming in and seeing we have a certain number of quality posts. I wonder if anyone actually does that...
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:08 pm

I dont feel it is.. and if someone feels the need to make one word posts that dont make sence like you say, wouldnt you rather them do it there then all over the rest of the board?
0 likes   

OtherHD
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby OtherHD » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:18 pm

I don't see why you think that one word posts are not quality. If I say the word, "Tornado!" it is a whole lot more informative than "Well I um see you can I it." That is a weird example, but it shows that quality isn't necessarily expressed in quantity. That one word is much better than the other whole sentence.

Yes, in context, "Tornado!" is informative (ie. when there's a severe weather outbreak), but when you have "tornado" followed by...oh...let's say "olives", as you would find in the word game thread, it isn't of much quality.

Your definition of quality must be different than mine. And say for a minute that the fun and games forum didn't count, like someone else (Tom I believe) mentioned people could just bump up their totals by posting useless posts in the other forums such as Tropics... making the "quality" of the whole board suffer.

I'm sure if people started posting useless posts in the tropics forum (or any other besides the games forum), that person would be dealt with accordingly. That's called flooding and is against board policy. Not to mention bad netiquette.

And nowhere did you say that you wanted to close the fun and games forum... that is correct. But I said that by taking away the post totals (which we know is not possible) from the games then that forum would die. So yes... in essence your suggestion could close that forum down or make its use very minimal.

So why all these posts mentioning closing the games forum?

As for the last sentence, we've been through this before. I don't think that people will stop posting in the games section if we disbled post counts for that forum. If so, then we know that the only reason people posted was to boost their post count (spamming), instead of playing games.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:25 pm

It all boils down to what you think vs. what I think and we aren't going to change our minds. I think that the fun and games forum is here for us to use... if it boosts our posting count then who cares? I can't think of one person who was left this board over the posting counts being "skewed" and I doubt seriously someone would care if 70,000 of the 150,000 are from the games forum when they joined and/or if that would make a difference. The admins knew what would happen when they added and they don't seem to care so I don't know why we have made it a big deal. A post is a post is a post. Nowhere does it say we are only REQUIRED to make posts that are of the deepest intellectual quality. Tornado-olives-spinach-hall-liver... if that doesn't meet your expectation of quality then I am sorry, but it is here and you are more than welcome to "boost" your count in the forum too. :)
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby wx247 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:27 pm

It is equal opportunity boosting... we don't discriminate or have affirmative action posting privileges. :lol:
0 likes   

OtherHD
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby OtherHD » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:34 pm

I think I've said just about all I can say to the point where I am not repeating myself anymore. Like I said, I think the whole thing is a moot point now since MF said it can't technically be done in the first place. Oh well. If anyone wants to keep discussing it, I'm more than happy to!
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:37 pm

I actually think it can be done... I just have not been sold on why we would need to do it yet.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#34 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:46 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Garrett... those that aren't using the Fun & Games forum are more than welcome to do delve in and post there.
0 likes   

JetMaxx

#35 Postby JetMaxx » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:59 pm

After thinking on it in more detail this afternoon...I'll say this..

If the Games forum posts were suddenly "not counted", I can assure you there would be people leave this forum/ website because of that decision; and in all honesty...I might be one of them. I'd consider it a slap in my face; almost as if I were (or what I was posting) wasn't welcome anymore.

I've changed quite a bit since my GoPBI days (2000-01). I don't rant and rave like I did then. If a forum or someone in a forum p#sses me off -- I simply stop posting there and move on.

I've posted one post at GoPBI since last August 7th and will never post there again; I've posted only a time or two at WWBB in the past four months...because I refuse to post in a hornets nest or where I'm disrespected. Things were said to me at WWBB that were uncalled for (slurs/ taunts about me and my home state); and I left....even though I left many good friends behind (which I regret). I have more than enough stress in my life from my family without adding more when I don't have too.

Today I've posted in virtually every forum on this website...and I value each post equally, and don't want to see some posts counted while others aren't.

PW
0 likes   

hunter84
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby hunter84 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:50 pm

lol

I just had to do that in memory of Rob. ya know he'd probably have 8751249 posts if he hadn't been banned
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:52 pm

Chad is probably technically right that we could modify the board to not include Games posting in the user total. That would require either modification of the code my one of us or a search for a existing board modification to add that capability. It is not a standard feature of the board as it exists now. I know I spend enough time on the board as it is that this isn't going to be a priotity anytime in the foreseeable future. ;-)

The ranks and posts counts are for fun and should be looked at that way. Does anyone on this board not value the opinions of some of our lower post count members? Of course not! I know I don't look at the post count when I decide what posts to read.

I think everyone would agree that if we get in a position of needing disk space in the future then the Games forum will be the first one to be pruned. This just means we will delete some of the older posts. IMO the Games Forum is just one of many great facets of the board. :-) Maybe we've gotten a little carried away with the races but again, it's just for fun! :-) Game on!
0 likes   

weatherlover427

#38 Postby weatherlover427 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:14 am

Pardon me for coming in late but I know that I was one of the ones who got carried away in the beginning about the post races; now I don't post nearly as much as I used to per day - and in addition to that I make a "sweep" of all of the other forums first, by that I mean I look at all of the other forums that I regularly post in BEFORE I even touch the games forum.

And in the games forum, I have been more considerate in letting people catch up to me since I used to post so fast there that they couldn't keep up; which in turn led to my super rapidly increasing post count.

I am posting in threads now where I have something worthwhile to say; save for the games forum.

I have made some changes after we had that sticky placed in the off topic forum, which is what made me look at my past behaviors and realize that what I was doing was wrong.

I certainly won't go down that route again because there were people who made me realize that what I was doing was wrong. Post counts aren't everything. I have learned that from other sites.

But I hope that we will not do anything drastic like shutting down certain forums. That would be going too far IMHO.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby chadtm80 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:54 am

The ranks and posts counts are for fun and should be looked at that way. Does anyone on this board not value the opinions of some of our lower post count members? Of course not! I know I don't look at the post count when I decide what posts to read

Exactly the point I was slowly trying to prove.
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#40 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:34 am

Exactly, Chad and Marshall! I wouldn't be reading just about every single post if I was choosing those members that are ranked highest on the list.

I am looking forward to those that haven't posted much and not at all.
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”