Looking for some new features for the newsletter???

If you don't read these, it's your own fault. They will be enforced by the staff. You will also find Management Announcements & S2K Gatherings here

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Looking for some new features for the newsletter???

#1 Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 2:18 pm

I am wanting to make some changes to the newsletter - all for the good I hope - mostly I would like to add some more permament features that are done by our members. One idea I had was asking members to write about their hometown - feature this in our newsletter. Another was an advice column - ask any question - NOT RELATED TO WEATHER - lol and get answers - aka Dear Abbey.

Can ya'll give me some more suggestions? Just post your comments or suggestions in this thread.
0 likes   

GulfBreezer
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby GulfBreezer » Mon May 05, 2003 7:48 am

I think the advice column and the hometown column both sound like GREAT ideas!! Let me know if I can help with anything!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#3 Postby Miss Mary » Mon May 05, 2003 7:53 am

Patricia - good ideas!!! The hometown thing would be very nice. Members could post something about their hometown that isn't very well known. For instance, did you know that in Cincinnati you'll hear people say the word "Please?" instead of "excuse me, or could you please repeat that?". Just a quirky little Cincy trivia thing.

One continuing column or space could be a member's personal account of being in the path of a hurricane or tornado. Where, when, how they survived. A storm story, to borrow from TWC, if I may. Rephrase it of course for your newsletter.

You could also have a recipe of the month! For instance a summer type recipe for May-August. Cookie recipe for the holiday season. Recipe for Super Bowl time.

The suggestions or ideas are endless! Thanks for asking for input!
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Stephanie » Mon May 05, 2003 11:14 am

Miss Mary wrote:Patricia - good ideas!!! The hometown thing would be very nice. Members could post something about their hometown that isn't very well known. For instance, did you know that in Cincinnati you'll hear people say the word "Please?" instead of "excuse me, or could you please repeat that?". Just a quirky little Cincy trivia thing.

One continuing column or space could be a member's personal account of being in the path of a hurricane or tornado. Where, when, how they survived. A storm story, to borrow from TWC, if I may. Rephrase it of course for your newsletter.

You could also have a recipe of the month! For instance a summer type recipe for May-August. Cookie recipe for the holiday season. Recipe for Super Bowl time.

The suggestions or ideas are endless! Thanks for asking for input!

Great ideas also Miss Mary! I like the hometown section as well!
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Amanzi » Mon May 05, 2003 11:29 am

Great suggestions MissMary!

Ticka if you ever need any help, just shout. I will do what ever I can to give you a hand.
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby isobar » Mon May 05, 2003 11:33 am

Great ideas! I nominate streetsoldier to do the Dear Abby column. :wink: Call it "Dear Annabelle (she be a knowledgable 'ho)"
I'd like to see a "Guess That Weather Event" column.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby mf_dolphin » Mon May 05, 2003 11:37 am

ROFL Isobar.... We could call Annabelle's column

"Helping Ho" :-)
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Stephanie » Mon May 05, 2003 3:11 pm

isobar wrote:Great ideas! I nominate streetsoldier to do the Dear Abby column. :wink: Call it "Dear Annabelle (she be a knowledgable 'ho)"I'd like to see a "Guess That Weather Event" column.

Lord help us all!!! :lol:

Very clever though isobar!! :wink:
0 likes   

Rainband

#9 Postby Rainband » Mon May 05, 2003 4:21 pm

What about a forecaster on here doing as monthly weather round up!!! Or the next months forecast. In severe season an article about the months path of storms??? How about a MOM Biography?? Just some ideas..A weather crossword would rule too!!!! :wink:
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#10 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon May 05, 2003 4:34 pm

I can't think of something off the top of my head that could be added to the Newsletter. Most ideas sound good.

If a biography is implemented for the Member of the Month... don't expect one from me. It takes me awhile to get what I want to say down and then I have to actually think of what would appropriate. Just thought I'd let you all know.
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby breeze » Mon May 05, 2003 6:39 pm

Understood, Tom.

LoL, my hometown is so small, you'd be
able to pinpoint the exact location of my
house just from the description of the things
that have affected me throughout
my life...that would kinda weird me out...it
would be like posting my address on here!
(Really, ya'll - this town is small!)
But, I LOVE the idea of Annabelle's (she be
a 'Ho) Corner! :wink:
0 likes   

JQ Public
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby JQ Public » Mon May 05, 2003 7:49 pm

Maybe we should do drawing contests or design contests for storm2k items? Or maybe send in baby pics and try to guess who they are? A Storm2k puzzle and games section...crosswords etc made by a certain member or many members?
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby mf_dolphin » Mon May 05, 2003 7:53 pm

I like the Baby Pictures idea! :-) Have to be careful we don't get listed as a baby stuff site LOL
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#14 Postby ColdFront77 » Mon May 05, 2003 7:56 pm

JQ, The crossword puzzle idea sounds good. It may be time consuming, even with more than one member working on it. :wink:
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby Stephanie » Mon May 05, 2003 8:32 pm

Rainband wrote:What about a forecaster on here doing as monthly weather round up!!! Or the next months forecast. In severe season an article about the months path of storms??? How about a MOM Biography?? Just some ideas..A weather crossword would rule too!!!! :wink:

I like the forecaster idea as well. There are several castaways from TWC that always did an excellent job with their forecasts, Jim Schuyler (WXBuffJim), Allexpert Mike and Stormsfury just to name a few...
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby mf_dolphin » Mon May 05, 2003 8:36 pm

We actually have two pages set aside just for weather stuff. The "Weathervane" page is for any member to submit weather related articles. The "Forecasters Corner" page is being reserved for our Forecast Team. :-) If that isn't enough I'll be happy to add more :-)
Last edited by mf_dolphin on Mon May 05, 2003 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#17 Postby Miss Mary » Mon May 05, 2003 9:24 pm

I love the she be a ho column - perfect. Anyone run this past Bill?!!! I'm sure he'd have thoughts on this. You could include a picture of Annabelle sitting so dainty like, as if to say "they've created a column about advice from a dog? Give me a break." LOL
0 likes   

azskyman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby azskyman » Mon May 05, 2003 10:54 pm

Miss Mary...I'm sure that Annabelle would love the attention.

As a weather publisher for many years, I had a variety of columns that stirred some interest. I'd consider helping with one of these on a regular basis if there were any interest.

BEST AND WORST - weather extremes for the previous month
IN THE WINDS - quick facts about things going on in members' lives
SECOND SEASON - Flashbacks of weather events 50 and 100 years ago
SNAPSHOT - Short summary of major weather events of the last month
WEATHER WIT - Jokes and puns about weather
OUT OF THE BLUE - A one-topic discussion of one particular aspect of weather or climate.
SKYWARD - Poetry and verse submitted by members
I. C. RAIN - My own column on various aspects of being a backyard weather observer
GUESS WHAT? - Weather question of the month. Drawing from among the correct answers for some prize or gift.
LETTERS - Input from members on any topic beeing discussed.

There were more...but you might want to kick around such ideas by those names or others of your own choosing.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#19 Postby Miss Mary » Tue May 06, 2003 6:00 am

Wow, Steve - leave it to you to not only have good ideas but column titles too, for lack of a better term! Impressive......lots of good ideas here.
0 likes   

Amanzi
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Amanzi » Tue May 06, 2003 9:38 am

Those are all fantastic ideas Steve, I for one would love to read each of those columns in the newsletter. :)
0 likes   

Return to “Storm2K Rules & Announcements”