A Question (Mets help please!)

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Weatherfreak000

A Question (Mets help please!)

#1 Postby Weatherfreak000 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:34 am

Which Schools down here in the South offer the best Meteorology Programs?
Last edited by Weatherfreak000 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Ixolib
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Ixolib » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:04 pm

0 likes   

DrCloud
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby DrCloud » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:14 pm

First (with all due respect) you really should learn to spell the program you want to apply to. Your application will be far more credible that way -- typos are as bad as flat out misspellings in this regard.

The two links in the previous response are fairly good; but it's important that you do more research concerning just what you're looking for because there is no real "comprehensive" one-size-fits-all program anywhere. Nor are tropical meteorology programs confined places in (or close to) the tropics, contrary to the comments in those linked threads.

Another important question is whether you're looking for an undergraduate program or a graduate program; and, if the latter, what level (masters or doctoral). In addition, your specific area of interest becomes even more important at the graduate level.

A good listing, probably as comprehensive as anything out there, is at
http://www.ametsoc.org/amsucar_curricula/index.cfm . The information there is sketchy, but it will send you to the schools' sites for more.
HPH
0 likes   

caribepr
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby caribepr » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:46 pm

There is actually already a thread on this subject and if I were a really saintly type, I'd find it and list it here...but I'm not. It went on quite awhile with some good pro-met input. You might want to do a search for it.
0 likes   

Weatherfreak000

#5 Postby Weatherfreak000 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:07 pm

Does the University of New York have a good program?
0 likes   

caribepr
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby caribepr » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:58 pm

No offense, weatherfreak, but this forum isn't the best way to find what you are looking for (in other words, personal interests are exactly that, this is a more general place on the web to discuss weather, rather than important life choices).
If you want to use the internet for a search, I'd use a search engine, with UNY and the program you are looking for - or better yet, your school counselor, who has all sorts of guides for you and could tailor them to your available current records and what you need to get where you want to go. Good luck.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Blown Away » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:26 pm

Stop, the Mets don't need help they have Beltran, Delgado, Floyd, Laduca, and the allstar list goes on and on. Oops sorry wrong Mets, my bad.
0 likes   

Weatherfreak000

#8 Postby Weatherfreak000 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:43 pm

I didn't realize you members could be so insensitive sometimes, of course a place where it's logical to post a topic using an emoticon or reposting the same data over and over should definitely rule out my question. After all i'm not technically talking about Tropical Weather. Just in academic form.
0 likes   

caribepr
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby caribepr » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:21 pm

Please check your messages.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Blown Away » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:52 am

Sorry for the comment, I'm not a met, but here are some schools in FL that have decent programs FSU, Embry, and UM.
0 likes   

DrCloud
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#11 Postby DrCloud » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:49 pm

Does the University of New York have a good program?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The State University of New York (SUNY) is a university system, with campuses all over and different programs at different campuses. As I recall (and that AMS link I posted earlier may verify, I don't know), SUNY Albany and SUNY Stoney Brook have earth science programs that include meteorology options.

There's also New York University (NYU) in the city; I really don't know much about this. One of the previous posts is right, though -- if you're interested in a specific campus, Google their name, find their web site, and start looking at their programs.

As I tried to suggest before, only you know what you're interested in, so you need to do your own research to find out a good fit. HPH
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”