West Virginia Colleges

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

West Virginia Colleges

#1 Postby brunota2003 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:29 pm

This does pertain to the tropics (well...sort of...:lol:) Since most of the pro mets visit here, and other people, it made more sense to post this here. Mom called me and said we might be moving to West Virginia this summer. She wants to know if there are any colleges in West Virginia where I can pursue my Met degree in, so I can get the instate pay, instead of out of state. Thanks for the help!
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby brunota2003 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:04 pm

or maybe...is there a way I can get my degree online possibly?
0 likes   

DrCloud
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby DrCloud » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:00 am

The short answer is "no", I'm afraid. (If you check universities & colleges listed by the American Meteorological Society as having meteorology programs, there aren't any in West Virginia.)

Before you give up on that, however, do some web sleuthing.

First, some states have "reciprocal agreements" with other states, via which residents of state A can get residential tuition rates in state B. If West Virginia has such an agreement with its neighbors, the possibilities open up.

Second, because it will likely take a while to establish residency in WV for tuition purposes anyway, check out what the NC rules are. You're a resident now; if you enroll (or commit, or something) before you more, does that grandfather you in for a residential rate?

Third, depending on where you want to go with your college degree, a pure meteorology program may not be what you're limited to. Sometimes "environmental science" programs (or geography or earth science or, as with my university, geosciences) offer the flexibility to concentrate on a particular area, like meteorology, to assemble the course credits needed to have a credible meteorology background. An advantage of this approach is that it will widen your career opportunities for the future.

Finally, I'd recommend an in-person college experience. The virtual kind is hardly ever as solid, and you miss all sorts of interesting benefits. (The opposite sex, for example :wink: and other things that might float your boat.) HPH
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:40 pm

ok...cool, I know I saw several up there with the geosciences type things, so I'll have to email them and ask...and :lol: at your opposite sex comment, that was pretty funny ;) I figured that there were none up there...but I will ask about the geosciences, etc...I'm also going to email the Charleston NWS office and see what they have to say...thanks!
0 likes   

Tstormwatcher
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Tstormwatcher » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:06 pm

Brunota, Have you thought about going into the military and getting your training and education through them? It would put less of a burden on your parents and you financially. From what I have read, many Meteorologist get their start in the military. Just a thought.
0 likes   

tomboudreau
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby tomboudreau » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:09 pm

Depending on what part of West Virgina you are moving too, but Penn State might be an option to look at since its just a hop, skip and a jump to Pennsylvania? Just a suggestion.
0 likes   

DrCloud
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7 Postby DrCloud » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm

^^Very good point. Penn State has an outstanding meteorology program, for undergraduates on up to the top.

And a WV -- PA reciprocity agreement (where the states let residents go next door and get in-state tuition) is something to look into. HPH
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm

Yes...if we do go...the county mom is looking at is up near the northern border...so we should be just outside of Penn...
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:14 pm

Online, yes. It is in the Broadcast Meteorology Program at Mississippi State University. Two of the local (Houston) meteorologists graduated from this program.

http://msstate.edu/dept/geosciences/CT/BMP/Site.htm
0 likes   

Mesohunter
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#10 Postby Mesohunter » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:05 pm

I live in WV, however have applied to Millersville in PA (among other schools such as Iowa State).

WV doesn't have a typical domestic exchange program with PA, however the HEAPS grant will transfer over and that is about $3,000 per semester.

If you have a relative in NC, it might be an option to consider staying with them to keep NC residency.

if you have any questions just shoot me a PM or aim me "a rabid lemur" is my screen name.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”