Toilet Water Phenomena

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

whereverwx
Category 5
Category 5

Toilet Water Phenomena

#1 Postby whereverwx » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:40 pm

OK, so I observed something strange last night during Ernesto’s peak.

So, here’s the story. I went to the bathroom at around 3am, which was about when the strongest winds arrived, and when I looked down at the toilet, it was a bit “ripply.” And an example of that would be a gentle bump on a bucket of water.

Now, I assume it was caused by pressure differences in the house from the wind and suction from the sewers, possibly. And I suppose that if the wind was strong enough, it could suck all the water out of the toilet. Am I the only one who noticed this, and am I correct on my hypothesis?

Also, I observed lightning and thunder during Ernesto. It was quite cool, actually.
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

Re: Toilet Water Phenomena

#2 Postby senorpepr » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:42 pm

calamity wrote:OK, so I observed something strange last night during Ernesto’s peak.

So, here’s the story. I went to the bathroom at around 3am, which was about when the strongest winds arrived, and when I looked down at the toilet, it was a bit “ripply.” And an example of that would be a gentle bump on a bucket of water.

Now, I assume it was caused by pressure differences in the house from the wind and suction from the sewers, possibly. And I suppose that if the wind was strong enough, it could suck all the water out of the toilet. Am I the only one who noticed this, and am I correct on my hypothesis?

Also, I observed lightning and thunder during Ernesto. It was quite cool, actually.

Ummm... are you sure the "ripply" effect wasn't from you... ummm... using the toilet?

:wink:
0 likes   

whereverwx
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby whereverwx » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:43 pm

senorpepr wrote:
calamity wrote:OK, so I observed something strange last night during Ernesto’s peak.

Ummm... are you sure the "ripply" effect wasn't from you... ummm... using the toilet?

:wink:

LOL, no.
0 likes   

NFLDART
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby NFLDART » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:35 am

:eek:
0 likes   

senorpepr
Military Met/Moderator
Military Met/Moderator

#5 Postby senorpepr » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:03 pm

I was thinking about this question yesterday and I believe this is your answer: It's not really a pressure difference between the atmosphere and the house. In reality, during hurricanes and tornadoes, the pressure difference between inside and outside a home isn't that significant. Our homes are simply not that well sealed. (If they were, you'd have other problems such as excessive moisture.)

Most likely, it had something to do with the wind creating a suction in the sewer pipes, via vents. I have heard stories where the wind is intense enough where the water actually exits the toilet. (I wouldn't know first hand--it's been a while since we've had a hurricane in these parts of the world. :wink: )
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby LaPlaceFF » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:19 pm

Great, a storm is raging outside and you are looking at toilet water. :roll:
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby terstorm1012 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:44 pm

hey, when the wind blows my building sways back and forth (i live in a highrise) and it causes the same effects in the toilet that you see.

I've noticed this in other highrises I've lived in too.
0 likes   

whereverwx
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby whereverwx » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:44 pm

Thank you senorpepr!! I also, now, strongly believe it has to do with the sewers.

LaPlaceFF wrote:Great, a storm is raging outside and you are looking at toilet water. :roll:

Yeah, so? Think about the fishies! :wink: Also, it was only about a one minute observation.

terstorm1012 wrote:hey, when the wind blows my building sways back and forth (i live in a highrise) and it causes the same effects in the toilet that you see.

I've noticed this in other highrises I've lived in too.

That is possible, but I should have mentioned that it was the toilet on the first floor (of a two story building).
0 likes   

WindRunner
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby WindRunner » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:34 pm

calamity wrote:
LaPlaceFF wrote:Great, a storm is raging outside and you are looking at toilet water. :roll:

Yeah, so? Think about the fishies! :wink: Also, it was only about a one minute observation.

Well then, be glad you don't live in the Pacific. They make ten minute observations. Guess the Japanese must really like their toilets . . . :wink:
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby wxmann_91 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:44 pm

WindRunner wrote:
calamity wrote:

Well then, be glad you don't live in the Pacific. They make ten minute observations. Guess the Japanese must really like their toilets . . . :wink:

http://www.ezprezzo.com/videoclips/japanese_toilet.html
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#11 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:52 pm

0 likes   

WindRunner
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby WindRunner » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:52 pm

That's the ULTIMATE candid camera trick right there . . . beautiful, wxmann_91, absolutely beautiful! :lol: :lol:
0 likes   

LaPlaceFF
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby LaPlaceFF » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:49 pm

fact789 wrote:http://www.ezprezzo.com/videoclips/japanese_toilet.html

thats great :lol:

I'd hold it if I was in Japan.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#14 Postby wxman57 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:31 pm

I believe you were seeing the effects of wind gusts blowing across the toilet's vent stack pipe on your roof. Air blowing across a surface creates a lower pressure (that's what makes planes fly). Your toilet has a P-trap below it and a vent that goes up the wall behind the toilet to the roof. Air blowing across the vent stack would produce frequent fluctuations in the air pressure inside the vent, pushing on the water column below which is connected to your toilet. This would cause ripples on the surface of your toilet.
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby isobar » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:14 pm

I read reports that this phenom caused toilets to completely empty out during Andrew.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#16 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:21 pm

isobar wrote:I read reports that this phenom caused toilets to completely empty out during Andrew.

Right. High wind blowing across the top of the toilet vent stack produced a low pressure area in the vent. Toilet water drained out of the bowl and up the vent stack.

I'm glad this issue is finally put to rest. ;-)
0 likes   

Jim Cantore

#17 Postby Jim Cantore » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:48 pm

I've witnessed this myself, during Hurricane Floyd, pretty much what was described.
0 likes   

accuweather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Toilet Slosh Video From High Winds

#18 Postby accuweather » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:32 am

I also experienced this phenomenon on Friday. I took some video and posted it on my blog.

Nothing like that to freak you out when you're tired. :eek:

Same idea -- wind blowing over vent pipe sucks air temporarily up and out of the pipe. MadSci.Org explains it as the Bernoulli effect.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”