Air pressure question

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Jim Cantore

Air pressure question

#1 Postby Jim Cantore » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:24 pm

How low does the pressure have to be when your ears begin to pop?
0 likes   

PeterRadanovic
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#2 Postby PeterRadanovic » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:46 pm

Hm, I don't know exactly, but it would be somewhat equivalent to the air pressure that you would experience at one kilometer or so above standard ground level. I know that at nearly (450) meters, your ears feel slightly uncomfortable, as I experienced on the CN Tower. Sorry, but I don't know how to convert that in to millibars.
But the only weather phenomenon that I know of with enough low pressure to cause human-ears to pop would be a tornado. Consequently, the more stationary you are within a tornado, the lower the pressure will be around you, as when air moves through a vacuum, its displacement is relatively the same within it, meaning very little instability in the pressure; when you're stationary, the air moves away from you faster. Is this true, though, as I've only thought of this about a minute ago! But I have heard stories of people feeling their lungs burn from the low pressure.
0 likes   

WindRunner
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby WindRunner » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:56 pm

I know going up the ridge nearby (where Skyline Drive is if anyone is familiar with the area) will make my ears pop a couple of times. I believe the top is slightly under 3000ft ASL, with the base of the ridge at about 500ft. I can also have sensative ears sometimes, so that might not be a typical occurance.
0 likes   

Tstormwatcher
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Tstormwatcher » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:03 pm

It really depends on how quick you ascend. The faster you do the more likely they will pop. 500 ft difference in a few seconds can do it.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:51 pm

Tstormwatcher wrote:It really depends on how quick you ascend. The faster you do the more likely they will pop. 500 ft difference in a few seconds can do it.

So true. I have that ear popping inside the elevator of the Empire State Building.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”