Different levels of circulation, how to tell the difference

If you have a question, don't care what it is ~ If you need a hand, We can assure you this ~ We can help

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Loring
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Different levels of circulation, how to tell the difference

#1 Postby Loring » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:18 am

A while back i took a look at a swirl, which looked to me based on IR and WV, pretty healthy. turned out to be nothing, and i was told that it was just an ULL.

so how do you tell the difference by looking at satellite, or is there a better way to quickly discern?
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby wxmann_91 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:52 pm

If there is a lot of dry air wraping around a circulation on WV, it's probably an ULL.

It's really hard to tell whether something is a mid-level or low-level if it's a warm-core system. I'd use visibles and observations (or recon if available) to discern that.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#3 Postby JonathanBelles » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:08 pm

something ive been wondering as well. cant wait for a 3-d satellite/radar!
0 likes   

Wthrman13
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby Wthrman13 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:34 pm

There are a number of visual clues that will tell you whether a circulation is primarily in the low, mid, or upper-levels. As already stated, if the circulation is clearly visible on WV imagery, it is almost certainly primarily in the upper-levels (although it may have a surface reflection that is less visible). Also, the clouds in upper-level lows are typically of the cirrus variety, whereas clouds associated with surface lows are typically cumuliform. Surface lows in the tropics are usually easily visible in visible satellite imagery, but are very hard to see (but not impossible if you know where they are) on conventional IR imagery. Bottom line, if you can detect the circulation easily on WV or IR, it's probably in the mid and upper levels. If you can only easily see it on visible imagery, it is probably a low-level circulation. Of course, for a tropical cyclone, the circulation is present at almost all levels, but is strongest in the lower levels.
0 likes   

Return to “Got a question? I'm listening”