Ethanol vs Natural Gas

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

What is the energy solution ?

Ethanol
18%
Natural Gas
45%
Electricity
36%

Total votes: 11

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Ethanol vs Natural Gas

#21 Postby Stephanie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm more concerned with the farmer's livelihood at this stage of the game. However, like fishing, crabbing, etc. you'll have good years and bad years which you need to plan ahead for.

IMHO, any combination of ethanol, natural gas, solar, bio-fuel or wind could be and should be used to help to feed our need for energy and they can all be American made. I don't think that there's one right solution, but solar, IMHO, is the most consistent and limitless.
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Ethanol vs Natural Gas

#22 Postby gigabite » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:56 am

80% of the corn belt has seen some rain this month. The optimum soil moisture for corn is between 30 and 40 percent. The sensitivity of the process leaves something to be desired. The percentage of soil moisture western 1/3 of the of the is below 26 percent and in the eastern 1/3 it is above 40 percent. The point is that the overall harvest is far from being toast.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby gigabite » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:43 am

I am surprised to see that Kentucky's yield drop by 73 bushels per. I did not think that the soil moisture dropped
so low there. There was some rain in that area in July, maybe the planting date was later so the tassel date dryer.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_state.htm?KY,MW

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Can Natural Gas Become the New Gasoline?

#24 Postby gigabite » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:51 pm

This week, BNSF Railway, one of the largest consumers of U.S. diesel fuel and a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, announced a natural gas pilot program for its fleet of locomotives. Observers and market participants say it could be the first step toward eroding the stranglehold oil and traditional gasoline has on cars, trucks and trains.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100537924
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#25 Postby Stephanie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 pm

RL3AO wrote:American oil and natural gas for fuel.

Wind and increased solar as it becomes more efficient.

Nuclear and coal for electricity.

Hopefully within 50 years fusion power will make hydrocarbons obsolete.

I'm still nervous about nuclear because I do not trust any company or agency to be thorough or honest in their oversight of it.

I do believe that the energy solution is a combination of different sources. As far as chicken littles are concerned, all you need to do is compare the air quality in Bejing and people walking around in masks to the air quality in the US for the most part (LA is an exception) and BECAUSE of the chicken littles insisting on regulations and oversight, we don't need to breathe through masks. Also, don't forget about 3,000 floating, poisoned dead piggies in China. Did you know it wasn't safe for pigs to drink the water?
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”