News from the Lone Star State

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#121 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:45 pm

Joyriders hit Dallas Country Club

Country club vandals go joyriding, then roll vehicles into creek

By HOLLY YAN / The Dallas Morning News

DALLAS, Texas - Several young men turned golf carts into go-carts early Sunday at Dallas Country Club when they went joyriding across the course in the stolen buggies.

After damaging the second green, the vandals discarded 14 golf carts in Turtle Creek.

"Occasionally we get reports of a cart that gets left out and taken for a spin, but nothing like this," Highland Park police Detective Randy Millican said.

About 7 p.m. Saturday, a security guard noticed that the bay door to the cart garage was closed, police reports state. Later in his shift, the security guard noticed the door was open and could not be closed.

"We believe the incident happened about 4 a.m.," Detective Millican said. "The security guard was probably patrolling other areas" of the club at the time, which spreads over 100 acres.

Four windows to the golf cart garage were found open, and the locking bar to the bay door was bent. But there was no damage to the doorframe or door.

Police are looking for five people believed to be in their 20s who were seen in the area.

Whatever the motive, police said, the spree was not proper golf etiquette.

"It's not common," Detective Millican said. "I can never recall this level of vandalism at a golf course."

Anyone with information can call Highland Park police at 214-521-5000.
0 likes   
Weather Enthusiast since 1991.
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:48 pm

Robbers strike 7 times in 3 days

By REBECCA LOPEZ / WFAA-TV

DALLAS, Texas - A team of robbers are holding up North Texans at gunpoint right in their driveways.

Police said they've linked the robbers to at least nine holdups in south and west Dallas; they said in each case the suspects pointed a gun at victims and demanded their money.

The robbers have been busy the last few days. Saturday they carjacked a man, on Sunday they robbed two people and Monday night they hit four places in less than two hours.

Michael Sabatini came face to face with two armed robbers, who literally took the money right out of his pockets.

"I had gotten out of the car," Sabatini said. "As I got out of the vehicle, he was getting out of the passenger side, and met me. He told me I was moving too quickly, and that's when he reached into my pocket and took my cash, and reached into the other pocket and took my wallet and took my watch."

"They get in there and seem to get what they need, and then they are gone again," said Dallas Police Lt. Jan Easterling. "They are very quick in their actions."

Easterling said all of the cases involve a black male suspect and a Latin male suspect; police are now combing the affected areas for the suspects.

"(They) are armed and dangerous, and they are driving a red Ford Mustang," she said.

Sabatini fears the robbers will come back, so he spent the day putting security lights around his house.

"No matter how safe you are, or how safe you think you are, you are just not safe enough," he said.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#123 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:52 pm

Basketball star's memorabilia stolen

Burglar took Final Four rings, other items from Kansas' Langford

By KARIN KELLY / WFAA ABC 8

FORT WORTH, Texas - Fort Worth police are investigating the home burglary of a college basketball star who is likely headed to the NBA after graduation this May.

Memorabilia from tournaments and championships was stolen from Keith Langford, a guard with the University of Kansas Jayhawks. Before heading to Lawrence, Kan., Langford played at North Crowley High School.

Only a picture remains of Charlene Taylor's son's championship rings from the Final Four games in 2002 and 2003.

Sunday, while the Jayhawks played in Kentucky and his mother cheered, a burglar broke into her home, stealing tournament mementos including a DVD player, jerseys, watches, awards, photos and four championship rings.

"I had his rings and watches and everything in here," Taylor said. "The first thing he said (was), 'they took my rings?'"

Taylor said the memorabilia was irreplaceable.

"Just a couple of months ago, I had taken them from Keith up in the dorm because he had them laying out," Taylor said. "I said, 'Keith, somebody is going to take this,' and he said, 'Oh Mom, nobody is gonna take this stuff.' So, I bring it home and somebody actually invades our privacy."

The Langford family believes the burglar opened up a back gate on Sunday evening, tied up the family's friendly black lab, found a piece of concrete and threw it through the window. The burglar then helped themselves to whatever they wanted.

"If they run across them (or) have already purchased them, they need to contact the police department," said Fort Worth Police Lt. Mark Krey.

More championship rings are likely in Langford's future - but first, his family wants to get back those from the past.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:54 pm

SMU law school investigating threat

By BRAD HAWKINS / WFAA ABC 8

DALLAS, Texas - The Dedman School of Law at Southern Methodist University called off classes Monday as word of an alleged threat against faculty, staff and students became public.

News 8 has learned that high-ranking university and Dallas Police staffers are working together on the case. They know the name of the first-year law student who is alleged to have told a classmate of his plans over a drink late last week.

What's unclear is what kind of charges that student may be facing; making a terrorist threat can be a third-degree felony. It is important to note they have not arrested him.

Tuesday night classes went on as scheduled at the law school, but with an increased police presence.

"There were some rumors flying around early this morning," said Dedman School of Law President Peter Schulte. "We didn't find out until there was an increased police presence, and some students started to ask questions about what was happening."

The dean's office sent a memo to all faculty and staff about "information that a law student allegedly had threatened to harm other law students, faculty and staff." The memo added the school's faculty felt it "best to cancel evening law classes."

The threats at SMU raised memories of a January 2002 attack in Virginia, in which a disgruntled student killed three people and injured several others at the Appalachian School of Law. That incident prompted other schools to re-examine security measures.

"We live in a world where this is, unfortunately, something that we have to pay close attention to," said Associate Dean Christine Szaj. "It is always worrisome that somebody might be in danger, but we felt that we took the steps that needed to."
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:02 pm

Brownsville snowball sold for $92

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (The Dallas Morning News/AP) – An unidentified eBay bidder has agreed to pay $92 for a chunk of what may have been the Rio Grande Valley's first-ever white Christmas.

Bids closed Saturday for the basketball-sized snowball now waiting next to the ice cream in 23-year-old Oscar J. Garza's kitchen freezer.

Eighteen people bid on the ball of "Miracle Snow" between Jan. 3 and Jan. 7, starting at a few dollars. Some bids, including one for $99 million, were canceled or retracted before closing.

Garza, a student at Texas A&M University, told The Brownsville Herald he was surprised the snowball actually sold.

"I kind of did it as a joke and I ended up getting local and national coverage," Garza said.

Brownsville got several inches of snow in the pre-dawn hours of Dec. 25, the area's first snow accumulation in 109 years.

"As far as we know this is the first white Christmas ever recorded," National Weather Service meteorologist Fred Vega said.

The bidder has 10 days to make good on his pledge.

Bidding also has closed for a Brownsville snowman, which went for $73.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:09 pm

School finance tops Legislature agenda

By CHRISTY HOPPE and TERRENCE STUTZ / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas Legislature returned to work Tuesday with pledges to revamp the crumbling systems of school finance and Child Protective Services while rebuilding the bipartisan good will lost during last session's redistricting battles.

In chambers filled with families, squirming children and hopeful speeches, lawmakers were sworn into office and challenged to work together to tackle the daunting tasks ahead.

"Without a doubt, the primary objective this session will be school finance," House Speaker Tom Craddick said. "We've tried repeatedly to get it done, and repeatedly, we have come up short."

In the Senate, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said the chamber he leads was moving toward consensus on school funding and will include reforms such as incentive pay for teachers.

"It will forever change the way we pay for public education so that it is fair and gives tax relief to homeowners and businesses," Mr. Dewhurst said.

Before the work of the session began, House members overwhelmingly re-elected Mr. Craddick, R-Midland, to a second term as speaker. But lingering bitterness still percolated from the last session, when Democrats fled the state to stall a GOP congressional redistricting plan.

The election of the speaker is almost always unanimous because lawmakers know in advance who will win and want to show unity. But this time, House members voted 142-4, with two present but not voting, to return Mr. Craddick to his leadership role.

Handful of dissenters

Rep. Joe Moreno, D-Houston, like other anti-Craddick voters, said he warily supported the speaker last session but has changed his mind because of what he called an ideological agenda that harmed the poor and vulnerable.

"You know, I'll take in a stray dog, but when that dog bites you, what do you do? You kick him out," Mr. Moreno said.

Mr. Craddick said that while those members did what they thought was right, he believes most of the rancor from two years ago has dissipated.

"I've visited with most of the members, and I feel everything is pretty well gone," Mr. Craddick said. "Redistricting is a very controversial and partisan plan every time we do it every 10 years, so I think that's just part of the system and that's gone."

Indeed, several Democrats stood and praised Mr. Craddick, with Rep. Harold Dutton of Houston extolling him as "a man who chooses moderation over ideology," "compromise over confrontation" and "cooperation over defiance."

In his acceptance speech, Mr. Craddick told members that they are in a fight together for the good of Texas.

"We cross swords because we come from different political backgrounds, but no one else understands, as each of us do, how hard we work for what we believe or how much we share in common," he said.

While Republicans hold strong majorities over Democrats – 87 to 63 in the House and 19 to 12 in the Senate – to pass school financing reforms and other far-reaching changes will require constitutional amendments, which must pass with a two-thirds vote. That means Republicans need a significant number of Democrats.

Mr. Dewhurst also said he was ready to return to the Legislature's bipartisan tradition and leave redistricting behind.

"There is no hangover from redistricting," he said. "We are 31 senators and the lieutenant governor working together to solve some very important problems in front of us. There will be bipartisan support to do what is right for Texas."

Gov. Rick Perry, who called three special sessions to force through the redistricting plan, also spoke Tuesday of Republicans and Democrats working together.

"Today is a day of celebration, the beginning of a bipartisan effort to protect the most vulnerable in our society, to provide a future of unlimited opportunity for 4 million-plus schoolchildren in this state," Mr. Perry said.

"I for one am very optimistic that we will live up to our calling, which is to leave Texas a better place than how we found it," he said.

Other likely debates

In addition to school finance and protective services, state leaders have said they want to fix a cumbersome and expensive workers compensation system and retool automatic college admission for the top 10 percent of high school graduates.

The legislative debate also will include discussions of a pilot program for school vouchers, execution of the mentally retarded and juveniles, a constitutional ban on same-sex marriages, slot machine gambling and campaign finance laws.

For the first time in three years, lawmakers have a slight surplus to spend, about $400 million. But they would need about 10 times that to lower property taxes, provide new cash for the governor's economic development fund and restore funding lost last session for children's health insurance, Medicaid, school textbooks and teachers' health benefits.

The emerging Senate plan on school finance would cut school property taxes by a third – reducing the maximum tax rate from $1.50 to $1 per $100 valuation – and replace the revenue with a revamped business franchise tax and increases in the state sales, motor vehicle sales and cigarette taxes.

More money could come from alcohol taxes, renewal of a telecommunications tax and closing of the used car sales tax loophole.

Besides replacing about $5.5 billion from the property tax cut, Senate leaders also want to boost funding for public education by $1.5 billion to $2 billion a year for various reforms and an increase in teacher salaries and benefits. Also part of the plan is more funding for bilingual education.

"We're extremely excited about the opportunity to add resources to our public school system," said Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, D-San Antonio, leader of the Senate Democratic Caucus.

"This is something that needs to be done with or without a judge's order," she said, referring to a recent court decision that the current $30 billion-a-year system provides unconstitutionally inadequate funding for schools.

She predicted the Senate would restructure the business franchise tax, which currently is paid by only one out of six businesses in the state. "It's going to be a tough vote, but it's one that the Senate will be willing to make," Ms. Van de Putte said.

Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Lewisville, said the comptroller's revenue estimate gives lawmakers a lot more breathing room than two years ago, when they were slapped with a $10 billion shortfall.

"I still think it will be very difficult this session," she said.

Tuesday's session began with the swearing-in of 15 members of the Senate who won new four-year terms in November. Senators also voted to dismiss an election challenge filed against Sen. Mario Gallegos, D-Houston, by an opponent who is also his former mistress.

One of the Senate's few actions on opening day was to elect Sen. Florence Shapiro, R-Plano, as president pro tem. The selection – by tradition based on seniority – places her second in the line of succession to governor after Mr. Dewhurst.

Addressing the Senate after her selection, the Education Committee chairwoman said, "This session, let's ask ourselves: 'How does what we are doing help improve the lives of our children?' If all of us will ask the right question, I'm certain we will find the right answer."
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:11 pm

Demonstrators Picket Store After Marine Refused Service

FORT WORTH, Texas (KXAS NBC 5) -- Family and friends of a Marine who reportedly was refused service at a Fort Worth convenience store staged a protest at the store Tuesday. The demonstration brought a sense of resolution to family members, according to NBC 5, after the store owner fired the employee who denied the service.

Lance Cpl. Jason Young, who served a tour of duty in Iraq, wore a U.S. Marine Corps shirt when he entered the One Stop Grocery and Grill on 8th Street in Fort Worth. The clerk reportedly asked Young if he were a Marine, and Young said he was. The clerk then walked out from behind the sales counter and did not return, according to reports.

The refusal of service outraged Young's family.

"(We were) very upset that my son has been over in Iraq and served, and he fights for freedoms for people to speak their piece," Vivian Young, Jason Young's mother, said. "I appreciate that, but refusing service in this day and time is not acceptable."

The store owner took action after reports of the refusal became public.

"When we heard about this thing last week, we fired the guy that minute, but we apologized to the mom and everybody," owner Munirah Kabani said.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:12 pm

Teens Arrested Following School Bus Demolition Derby

Ditched Buses Found In Creek

FORT WORTH, Texas (KXAS NBC 5) -- Three teenagers have been arrested after police say they are responsible for the destruction of four Fort Worth school buses last week.

Officers said two buses were found on the lot with broken windows. Two others were found in a creek after apparently being used in a demolition derby joy ride.

The buses were stolen from the school district's northwest bus yard on Jan. 2.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:00 pm

School bus ads may be rolled out

Transit operator says it would pass savings to districts

By RUSSELL RIAN / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING, Texas - Dallas County Schools officials are weighing plans to allow ads on the more than 1,200 school buses that the agency operates for nine North Texas school districts, including Dallas, Irving and Richardson.

Officials said the ads would be limited to the left rear corner of buses and would have to generate at least $1 million a year, with the savings passed on to each district based on how many buses each uses. Districts could see savings ranging from $23,000 to more than $400,000 for Dallas ISD, according to hypothetical projections by Dallas County Schools.

"We're looking for all the opportunities we can for revenues," said Rick Sorrells, superintendent for Dallas County Schools, who sent letters to its member districts to gauge interest.

Dallas school trustee Ron Price, who heads the school board's finance committee, said he hadn't heard the proposal yet but said it's worth considering.

"This is a discussion I wouldn't mind having, but I would not want the kids to be used for financial gain," he said.

Acceptable ads would stay away from hot-button topics such as alcohol, tobacco, guns and any products not legal for minors. Religious and political ads would not be accepted, nor ads for products that don't conform to school nutrition guidelines or those that "contribute to obesity or unhealthy lifestyles." Ads also would avoid apparel that might conflict with school dress codes.

Irving trustee Michael Hill questioned whether the standards would be adequate – for instance, "Who's to say Britney Spears in a bikini is a concern?"

Proposed standards would give the Dallas County Schools board the discretion to have ads removed if the board deems they "create a negative public perception."

Companies that have indicated interest include Texas Instruments, the Florida Citrus Growers Association and energy and wireless companies, Mr. Sorrells said.

"My board is probably about 50-50 split on whether it's a good idea or not a good idea," he said. "I've heard similar things from some of the districts that we serve."

Dallas County Schools provides bus service to the Dallas, Richardson, Irving, Carrollton-Farmers Branch, Coppell, DeSoto, Lancaster, Cedar Hill and Wilmer-Hutchins districts, but officials from Dallas and several other districts said school boards had not taken up the proposal.

Districts could not opt in or out individually. All school boards would have to approve the idea before Dallas County Schools board members would consider the plan and seek formal proposals, Mr. Sorrells said.

"It would be an administrative nightmare to keep up with," he said.

Irving trustees are the first to formally consider the proposal, county officials said. Officials estimated Irving could possibly shave $63,000 off its costs.

"I'm not opposed to it," said Irving trustee Jerry Christian. "That money would certainly help when we get to budget-cutting time."

But others disapproved.

"I don't even like the DART buses. I am appalled at what they do," said Barbara Cardwell, Irving ISD board president. "They don't care what they put out there."

Irving trustee Randy Stipes questioned where advertising at schools – already visible on athletic fields and contracts for soft drinks in cafeterias – will stop.

"To me, school buses are the last bastion," he said. "I guess I'm an old-timer. I like the yellow school buses."

The Plano school district has had advertising on its buses for several years.

"I'm not aware of any problems," said school board president Mary Beth King.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:02 pm

Irving officer is investigated after reporting use of force

Leader of police group on leave after video of traffic stop reviewed

By ERIC AASEN / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING, Texas - The leader of an Irving police officers' group has been placed on administrative leave while the department investigates the use of force during a traffic stop.

Officer Dan Miller, a 28-year veteran, stopped a motorist on Jan. 5 because of erratic driving near Britain Road and Cason Street, police said. The department wouldn't disclose details about the use of force, but it occurred when Officer Miller took the driver into custody, police said.

Chief Larry Boyd said the issue is of a "very serious nature."

It "is obviously not representative of the professionalism expected of our officers and the department," he said in a statement.

Officer Miller, who has served as president of Irving's Fraternal Order of Police, could not be reached for comment.

Video footage of the incident shot from a squad car was reviewed after Officer Miller reported to his supervisor that he had used force during the traffic stop. After seeing the video, the supervisor was concerned that Officer Miller acted outside department policy, said Officer David Tull, Irving police spokesman.

The motorist was taken into custody on suspicion of DWI and resisting arrest, Officer Tull said. No charges were filed and the motorist was released.

The department will submit the results of its investigation to the Dallas County district attorney's office for review.

Officer Miller has been president of the police organization for about two years, said Officer Keith McCain, who will serve as president until the matter is resolved.

Officer McCain wouldn't comment on the investigation.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby TexasStooge » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:11 pm

Comcast Adds Fort Worth based FamilyNet Television to Digital Classic Lineup in Dallas Fort Worth

From the Staff writers of Cedar Hill Sentinel

FamilyNet Television joins the Comcast Digital line-up in the Dallas area on December 28th, 2004 as a part of the Digital Classic package.

FamilyNet will be seen on channel 296 which serves customers in the following communities: Addison, Allen, Arlington, Bedford, Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Cockrell Hill, Colleyville, Coppell, Dallas, Dalworthington Gardens, DeSoto, Double Oak, Euless, Farmers Branch, Flower Mound, Frisco, Garland, Grand Prairie, Grapevine, Hebron, Highland Village, Hutchins, Irving, Lancaster, Lewisville, McKinney, Mesquite, Murphy, Pantego, Parker, Plano, Princeton, Richardson, Rowlett, Sachse, St. Paul, Sunnyvale, The Colony, and Wylie.

"Comcast is very excited to provide another quality family programming service to our lineup," said Mike Cleland, Comcast's Area Vice President. "We are always focused on providing a variety of programming that our customers desire and FamilyNet does just that."

"We are excited about our launch by Comcast in Dallas," said R. Chip Turner, vice president for marketing and distribution. "There is a huge demand for family and faith-based programming in the Metroplex and our operations are based in Fort Worth. This is a perfect fit."

FamilyNet Television is a faith-based cable channel with award-winning programs that entertain and equip today's family. FamilyNet carries programs that appeal to all ages, including live interviews from its Fort Worth studios, news and current events with public policy experts like Janet Parshall and Jay Sekulow, music specials, classic movies and TV series, along with original children's shows, documentaries, and the best in Sunday worship from churches around the country.

Numerous Dallas-based personalities have appeared on FamilyNet including Zig Ziglar, Jay Novacek, Chad Hennings, Cool River Café Chef Bob Stephenson, Josh McDowell, Dr. Kenneth Cooper, Lisa Whelchel, Nichole Nordeman; Dr. Mac Brunson, the pastor of First Baptist Church Dallas; along with the Plano based Women of Faith speakers: Sheila Walsh, Thelma Wells, Nichole Johnson, Marilyn Meberg, Luci Swindoll, and Patsy Clairmont.

Two Dallas area churches air on FamilyNet. Dr. Jack Graham, pastor of Prestonwood in Plano, airs Sunday at 2 pm CT; and Dr. Tony Evans of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship airs Sunday at 12:30 pm CT.

"We are thrilled that FamilyNet will soon be available to Comcast subscribers in the Dallas area," said Dr. Jack Graham, pastor of Prestonwood. "Comcast's leaders are to be commended for responding to our requests, and the requests of other Christians, to bring more faith and family programming to television viewers throughout the metroplex. FamilyNet provides first-rate programming that will strengthen families and encourage people of faith. I, for one, will be watching, and urging others to tune in."

"I am ecstatic about the new relationship between Comcast and FamilyNet that will make available God's Word to thousands of new homes throughout the greater Dallas area," said Dr. Tony Evans of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship. "I am confident this relationship will strengthen families and improve our communities."

FamilyNet features Dallas area talent on two of its live morning programs from the Fort Worth studios. At Home-Live!, hosted by husband/wife team Dr. Chuck and Jenni Borsellino, airs weekdays at 10 am CT. The program features a variety of topics that relate to parenting, family relationships and the home.

Immediately following At Home-Live! is Your Health at 11 am CT, hosted by Dr. Richard Becker and his wife, Cindy of the Rockwall based company, Bio Innovations. Your Health, viewers have the opportunity to call in and talk to the doctor one-on-one.

FamilyNet also offers a variety of entertainment programs from comedians Dennis Swanberg, Ken Davis and Chonda Pierce to music artists such as Gaither Vocal Band, Michael W. Smith, John Tesh and many more. Children love Mary Lou Retton's Flip Flop Shop, The Nana Puddin' Show and JOT, which teach godly principles to young generations.
Teens enjoy watching FamilyNet's reality show TruthQuest: California, along with contemporary talk shows Straight Talk from Teens, and The Zone. FamilyNet features worship services from across the country with the teaching of pastors Jack Graham, Charles Stanley, Adrian Rogers, Tony Evans and Ed Young just to name a few.

News breaks run throughout the day from the FamilyNet News desk anchored by Lorri Allen, bringing headline news, in-depth interviews, live shots and investigative reporting. FamilyNet can be seen on Comcast Digital Classic, channel 296. Customers who wish to subscribe or upgrade their service to FamilyNet can telephone 1-800 COMCAST or visit http://www.comcast.com.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:27 pm

Turnpike extension to open early

By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV

The missing link that completes the President George Bush Turnpike will finish ahead of schedule.

The North Texas Tollway Authority announced Wednesday the five-mile "super connector" between Interstate 35E and LBJ Freeway will now open in October.

Since construction began in January 2003 on the $339 million project, NTTA officials said they have had extraordinary good luck. There have been no major storms that forced delays, and other anticipated problems never materialized.

Once the final segment is finished, the 30-mile turnpike will connect seven cities in three counties, from Garland to Irving.

"I think it's going to make a lot of people really happy," said motorist Heather Windsor. "It's going to make (their) commute to work a lot shorter."

The Bush Turnpike will also provide a vital connection between Dallas' northern suburbs and D/FW International Airport.

After rush hour, News 8 drove the two most common routes to the airport, starting from the westbound turnpike lanes as they divert traffic onto I-35E. The drive time going south down the interstate from there, and then east on LBJ Freeway to the airport, took 16 minutes.

The second trip went from the turnpike north on I-35 to State Highway 121, which winds through Coppell and Grapevine on to D/FW. Drive time there was 13 minutes.

Once it's finished, the new five-mile turnpike stretch will give travelers a more direct - and faster - route.

"This should save several minutes just through that stretch, and definitely more during rush hour," said NTTA Engineering Director Mark Bouma.

"It's a hassle to go down I-35, and try and go west on 635," said motorist Ron Hudmall. "To be able to cut through is really neat."

"It will be a great advantage, especially for people coming from Plano all the way to the airport," motorist Ileana Noel said. "They won't have to go through the detour of I-35."

The project will cost NTTA a little more than expected, because they pay incentives to contractors who finish early.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#133 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:29 pm

Irving man recalls beating by officer

By REBECCA LOPEZ / WFAA-TV

IRVING, Texas - An Irving man said he thought he was going to die after being beaten by a police officer during a traffic stop on Jan. 5.

Palomino Ochoa said he was driving home from church when the officer pulled him over. He said what happened next was frightening.

"I was scared," Ochoa said. "I was very scared ... he kept yelling at me in English, and I didn't understand."

Ochoa said the officer never got out of his car, so he said he got out of his, and that's when things turned ugly.

"When I saw the reaction of the officer, it was like he wanted to attack me," he said. "He was pointing a gun at my head."

Witnesses said they saw the officer screaming at Ochoa. Pedro Solano said he watched the whole thing from his balcony.

"He got down on the ground," Solano said. "The officer sprayed him with mace after he was handcuffed and then started beating him with a nightstick."

Ochoa said he could feel the blows.

"When he was beating me, I felt that he was grabbing my hair to try and smash my head into the concrete," he said.

Irving Police officials said the officer, Dan Miller, is a 28-year veteran with no citizen complaints against him. He's been placed on administrative leave while an investigation takes place, and the district attorney is looking into criminal allegations.

As for Ochoa, he said after the incident he lost his job, and he said he still feels the pain from all the blows to his body.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:42 pm

Homeless center to be open 24 hours

By CHRIS HEINBAUGH / WFAA ABC 8

DALLAS, Texas - The Dallas City Council decided Wednesday to allow the Day Resource Center to open its doors to the homeless around the clock.

It was the day many homeless advocates have been waiting for - but the decision didn't come without a fight.

The council was set to clear up zoning issues that have kept the center from opening 24 hours. It was good news for the center's clients, who said the expanded hours are needed.

"I think if you shut it down, the homeless will venture out somewhere else," said homeless client Bennie Henderson. "I understand that there is some bad and some good, but those that are good are trying to change their life. So please leave it open 24 hours."

But the center's neighbors wanted security guarantees first. The proposal called for four security guards, but neighbors wanted two to be Dallas police officers, who can also enforce the law in the blocks around the facility.

The center's clients are already costing neighbors added security costs.

"All we're asking is that the Day Resource Center provide the same safety, and the same security, and the same cleanliness in the 200-foot perimeter around the property, which is where their client base is impacting the neighborhood," said Herschel Weisfeld.

There were concerns about liability. The building's owner never expected a 24-7 operation, and fears getting sued if someone is hurt. But the city refused to pay insurance, and the police chief did not want to commit two officers to that site alone.

That struck council member Bill Blaydes as unfair.

"Why are we not working with the property owner to guarantee him his insurance program, to guarantee him his security that he is requesting? We are forcing this on the property owner," Blaydes said.

The rest of the council approved the plan, but with the knowledge this is merely a quick fix. The center's lease expires in one year.

"There's a lot of work to be done, and a lot at stake," council member Lois Finkelman said.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:44 pm

Senators back broad plan for schools

By TERRENCE STUTZ / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN, Texas – The knotty effort to fix school finance got a jump start in the Texas Senate on Wednesday, as Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst announced that all 31 senators agree on a broad plan to cut school property taxes and boost funding.

But a broad plan is a long way from a consensus on details, and this problem is still a long way from being solved.

Mr. Dewhurst spent much of the day persuading reluctant senators to sign on to his proposal, then called a late-afternoon news conference to announce the agreement that sets the stage for talks with the House and Gov. Rick Perry on education.

Most senators appeared with him.

"All 31 senators have signed on to our draft plan that will change the way we pay for our schools, dramatically improve quality and put substantial new resources into public education," Mr. Dewhurst said. The lieutenant governor also said the plan would deliver much-promised property tax relief by lowering the maximum property tax rate for school operating expenses from $1.50 to $1 per $100 valuation. Schools can levy up to 50 cents more per $100 for construction bonds.

"This is meant to be a starting point," Mr. Dewhurst explained. "Our feet are not in concrete, but that's the legislative process."

The plan, titled "Texas Children First," would create a statewide property tax to replace locally levied school taxes. Revenue would be distributed equally to all districts. The districts could then levy an extra 5 cents each two years for local programs, up to 15 cents over six years.

Some $5.6 billion in property tax cuts would be replaced with increases to the state sales tax and motor vehicle sales, cigarette, alcohol and franchise taxes. Another $1.6 billion would be raised next year through a telecommunications tax and by closing the used car sales tax loophole and improving delinquent tax collections.

The biggest new source of revenue would occur with reform of the state's main business tax, the franchise tax, so that all businesses – except sole proprietorships – would pay.

A leading option is to levy a franchise tax of about 1.25 percent on after-tax earnings, plus compensation. The projected new annual revenue is $3.5 billion.

Agreement on the broad plan – which leaves out many details that will have to be worked on later – came on the second day of the 2005 legislative session.

Gov. Perry applauded the Senate for developing a "good starting point" in the debate, and House Speaker Tom Craddick, R-Midland, also complimented senators.

Mr. Dewhurst said specific increases for any of the proposed taxes are still to be decided. However, the combined new revenues would total $7.2 billion next year and $7.5 billion the following year.

The plan envisions that total spending on public schools would increase $6.7 billion in the next two-year budget, including extra money for enrollment growth. Texas now spends about $30 billion a year.

Sen. Florence Shapiro, R-Plano, who will be lead author of the legislation, said creation of the state property tax is the only element that requires a constitutional amendment. That means approval is needed from two-thirds of the House and Senate, and voters in a statewide election.

While local school districts and some House members are opposed to a state property tax, Ms. Shapiro said it has the advantage of equalizing funding of schools and eliminating the current "Robin Hood" system where high-wealth districts must share property tax revenue.

"A state property tax is the great equalizer," the senator said. "We want to be sure we preserve equity in the system as we get rid of Robin Hood."

Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas, said the agreement is a signal to the House that Republicans and Democrats in the Senate "are ready to take on the number one issue in the state."

"We don't all agree on everything, but we do agree that something must be done."
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#136 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:45 pm

Testimony: Graner didn't join in abuse

FORT HOOD, Texas (The Dallas Morning News/AP) - A former guard at Abu Ghraib testified Thursday that Spc. Charles Graner Jr. did not take part in a number of the abuses he is accused of committing at the Baghdad prison.

But Megan Ambuhl, who made a plea deal with prosecutors regarding her actions at Abu Ghraib, admitted under cross-examination that she had had a brief sexual relationship with Graner and remains a close friend.

"And you don't want your friend to go to jail?" asked Maj. Michael Holley, the prosecutor.

"No, sir," she answered.

Ambuhl also said she lied to investigators who sought to search her personal computer for photos and other evidence of abuse.

Graner, 36, is the first soldier to be tried in the Abu Ghraib scandal and is alleged to be the ringleader of the abuse. He is accused of conspiracy to abuse detainees, assault, dereliction of duty and committing indecent acts, and faces up to 171/2 years in prison if convicted.

The defense maintains that military and civilian intelligence agents controlled Graner's area of Abu Ghraib, and that Graner had to follow their orders to soften up prisoners for interrogation.

Ambuhl testified about several incidents in which intelligence officers directed the prison's guards to rough up and sexually humiliate detainees, and that the guards were praised for their efforts.

On one occasion, she said, an intelligence officer known as Steve told guards to "break" a prisoner known as al-Qaeda, who was believed to have valuable information.

"Steve told us that we were doing a good job and that breaking al-Qaeda would save a lot of lives," she said.

Another time, she said, two military intelligence officers told Graner to physically abuse a prisoner in a shower.

Mohanded Juma testified Wednesday that he wasn't sure whether Graner got orders from interrogators that time. He did say, however, that Graner once beat him with a chair so hard that the chair broke.

Charges against Graner, an Army reservist from Uniontown, Pa., include that in November 2003 he stripped seven detainees accused of rioting and stacked them in a human pyramid in a hallway, and that he ordered those prisoners to masturbate and simulate oral sex.

Ambuhl said, however, that Graner was with her in the guard's office when the masturbation and oral sex incidents occurred.

She said she and Graner later returned to the hallway and saw what was going on.

Regarding Graner's reaction to those abuses, she told defense lawyer Capt. Jay Heath, "I think he was surprised by it, sir."

Her testimony lined up with that of Pvt. Ivan Frederick, who also made a plea deal in the case. Frederick, formerly a staff sergeant, admitted Monday that he instigated the masturbation and oral sex acts and that Graner was not present.

The prosecution to undercut Ambuhl's testimony by revealing that she and Graner had a sexual relationship beginning after the alleged abuses involving the seven detainees.

Holley also got her to admit that she used a software program to erase incriminating photos from her computer's hard drive, and that afterward she lied to an investigator by saying the computer didn't have to be searched because it was new.

"When necessary, you can tell a lie, can't you?" Holley asked.

"Yes, sir," Ambuhl said.

Ambuhl is the second member of the 372nd Military Police Company to admit having a physical relationship with Graner. He is believed to have fathered a baby with Pfc. Lynndie England, who is awaiting trial on Abu Ghraib charges.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:47 pm

Kids to return to father in Plano

Aunt will help man whose wife is accused of cutting off baby's arms

By TIARA M. ELLIS / The Dallas Morning News

McKINNEY, Texas – The two surviving children of a Plano woman accused of cutting off her baby's arms are expected to be returned to their father next week, a judge decided Wednesday.

John Schlosser's daughters – ages 6 and 9 – will move home Tuesday with the caveat that his sister Aleta Schlosser live in the home as an intermediary for at least 30 days, state District Judge Cynthia Wheless said. This custody situation will be reconsidered at a hearing next month.

Prosecutor Mary Scanlon opposed the decision and asked for another week to enable the court to hear from Mr. Schlosser's sister, who lives in New York, and to consider a psychologist's report on Mr. Schlosser that was submitted to the court Wednesday.

Dr. Jana Long performed a psychological exam on Mr. Schlosser last month but could not attend Wednesday's hearing. Copies of her report were not immediately available.

The judge denied the state's request.

"I agree with having the sister help. I am still very concerned with getting them back with their father," Judge Wheless said.

Loretta Keller, the girls' attorney, also wanted the opportunity to speak with Mr. Schlosser's sister, who is an Adult Protective Services worker in New York. Ms. Keller said she wanted to make sure Ms. Schlosser understood the girls' emotional and psychological needs before the girls moved back.

Ms. Schlosser is expected to speak with Ms. Keller and an agency appointed as the children's advocate Monday morning. She could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Mr. Schlosser did not speak during the hearing and declined to discuss the case, referring questions to his attorney, Howard Shapiro.

"John is happy for his children. We agree with having his sister come and help. It's hard enough to raise two girls by yourself in a normal situation. This has been a traumatic situation for everyone. John lost his wife, his child and his children," Mr. Shapiro said.

Linda Stevener, the court-appointed special advocate who has overseen Mr. Schlosser's weekly visits with his daughters, said during the hearing that based on her observations and Dr. Long's report, she questions Mr. Schlosser's "ability to recognize danger on behalf of the girls."

"With the aunt here, that would put a safeguard in place and that would no longer be an issue," she said.

Ms. Scanlon, chief of the family justice division for the Collin County district attorney's office, said her office is not trying to unnecessarily keep the girls from their father.

"We need to have the information in front of the court. It's imperative that [the court] hear the evaluation results," she said.

The two girls have been in the custody of Child Protective Services since their sister's death in November.

Dena Schlosser, 35, was charged with capital murder in the death of her 10-month-old daughter, Margaret Schlosser, after telling a police officer and a 911 dispatcher that she had severed the child's arms.

The day before, Mrs. Schlosser told her husband that she wanted to "give her child to God." CPS officials have written that Mr. Schlosser did not act to protect Margaret from his wife.

Mr. Schlosser has been ordered to begin parenting classes this month, has undergone a psychological exam and attended therapy classes. Family therapy will be added to that list when the kids return home.

Mr. Shapiro said his client is willing to do whatever is necessary to get his children back and give them a stable home.

At the hearing scheduled next month, Judge Wheless also plans to address Ms. Scanlon's effort to seek termination of Mrs. Schlosser's parental rights to her daughters.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:50 pm

Former North Richland Hills police chief arrested

By DEBRA DENNIS / The Dallas Morning News

NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, Texas - Thomas Shockley, North Richland Hills' former police chief, has a long resume in law enforcement that many in his field would envy.

A year after joining the department in 1972, he was named officer of the year. He earned several more commendations, including supervisor of the year in 1985.

But on Wednesday, a week after he resigned as police chief, his track record got an unwelcome notch: The veteran police official was arrested and jailed on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

Mr. Shockley, 54, was driving his Lincoln LS sedan early Wednesday when he struck a Ford F-150 pickup from behind at Davis Boulevard and Rumfield Road, said Sgt. Ken Bounds, spokesman for the Police Department.

This is not the North Richland Hills resident's first embarrassing incident.

Mr. Shockley was suspended for three days without pay after being pulled over last month in North Richland Hills by one of his officers for driving erratically. However, he was not arrested, and an officer escorted him to the police station.

Mr. Shockley, who underwent back surgery in December, told city officials he had taken prescription drugs that may have impaired his driving.

On Wednesday, Mr. Shockley was arrested after failing a field sobriety test, officials said. After being in jail for four hours, he was released on a $500 bond posted by his attorney, Don Carter.

Mr. Carter said he hadn't discussed the incident with his client, who could not be reached for comment.

"I plan on meeting with him over the next few days," Mr. Carter said. "I do understand that he has some pain problems and that he takes medication for that, and this may or may not have been a factor."

Officials expect to file a case with the Tarrant County district attorney's office.

"We will process this just like any other DWI offense," Sgt. Bounds said.

Police said the accident was minor and resulted in no injuries.

The pickup driver, Jason O'Brien, 32, of Fort Worth, called police after the accident. He declined requests for interviews.

A drug recognition expert from the Euless Police Department is assisting North Richland Hills in the investigation.

"We want to avoid even the appearance of impropriety," Sgt. Bounds said. "It's an outside, objective individual assisting us."

Mr. Shockley's arrest shocked and disappointed city officials.

"I was devastated," said City Council member Nancy Bielik. "Had this been the second arrest instead of the first, he could have been in horrible trouble."

She said the incident damages the city's image and dampens morale among employees.

"The officers who had to arrest him, they were his employees," Ms. Bielik said. "They are police officers who care about their jobs and their city and they cared for him. Now, they've had to handcuff him and take him to jail. That's not fair to them."

Mayor Oscar Trevino said he hopes the city and Mr. Shockley can move forward.

"He's the former police chief, but he is a private citizen," Mr. Trevino said. "Police did what they were supposed to do. The whole thing is a shame. He's had such a great career. He's done so much. But we are not living in his shoes."

Mr. Shockley has had two employment stints with the North Richland Hills police. He served four years with the department before joining Grapevine police. He left law enforcement in 1980 to work in the private sector before returning to North Richland Hills in 1982.

Mr. Shockley, who became chief in 1998, resigned his $105,000 a year position Jan. 5.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:55 pm

Yates juror cites flawed testimony

HOUSTON, Texas (WFAA ABC 8/The Dallas Morning News/AP) - False testimony from the state's expert witness in a former nurse's capital murder trial was a basis by one juror for convicting the woman of drowning her children in the family bathtub.

Juror Ron Jones wrote the judge in Andrea Yates' case that he had decided she was insane, but changed his mind based on testimony by psychiatrist Park Dietz about an episode of the television show "Law & Order" where a woman was found innocent by reason of insanity for drowning her children. No such episode existed.

Earlier this month, a Texas appeals court threw out Yates' convictions in three of her five children's drownings because testimony from Dietz was false and the trial judge had denied a request by defense attorneys to declare a mistrial after it was learned that Dietz's testimony was false.

Jones wrote State District Judge Belinda Hill after the March 2002 trial that he was the only juror not convinced about finding Yates guilty during jury deliberations. He said he had gone to the bathroom for a few minutes to pray "and the understanding came to me."

The seventh juror on the panel that decided Yates' fate, Jones said he summarized that Yates watched the TV program two weeks before her children's June 20, 2001 drownings. Yates also had been taken off the antipsychotic drug Haldol at the same time.

"I figured if she watched the program, only been off of Haldol that day. Her mind should have been sane," Jones wrote the judge on April 5, 2002. "(An) easy way out of her horrible situation, I thought. This I told everyone of why I changed my mind from insane to guilty. That was the preponderance of the evidence that sealed her guilt to me."

Prosecutors used Dietz's testimony in closing arguments.

This week, another juror wrote to the Houston Chronicle, saying Dietz's testimony played no role in determining Yates' fate.

"I cannot speak for the other jury members, but I can say definitely that the inaccurate portion of Dr. Park Dietz testimony had no impact on my decision," Kenneth L. Blanchard, juror No. 5, wrote.

Blanchard added that in an informal jury poll on whether Dietz's controversial testimony affected panelists' decision, "The opinion of the other jurors appeared consistent with mine that it had no bearing."

Juror Robert Buxton agreed that Dietz's testimony did not influence the jury's decision. Buxton said the crime was so horrendous that Yates will "never be sane again."
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:56 pm

Elephant's art earns $7,000 for aid

By ESTHER WU / The Dallas Morning News

FORT WORTH, Texas - She's no Rembrandt, but Rasha the elephant commands a hefty price for her work – $7,000.

The North Hills Lincoln Mercury dealership in Hurst won the auction Wednesday for an abstract oil painting by the 7,000-pound elephant from Thailand.

Fort Worth Zoo officials had listed the painting on eBay for seven days to raise money for tsunami relief efforts. Proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross.

Rasha spends up to 30 minutes a day painting. No word on whether a trunk show is in the works.
0 likes   
- Facebook
- Twitter

Return to “Off Topic”