A few prayers for a friend please-Thanksgiving Update

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

A few prayers for a friend please-Thanksgiving Update

#1 Postby vbhoutex » Mon May 14, 2012 1:08 pm

My wife and I have a friend who is having a kidney transplant tomorrow. He is very anxious about it since his kidney problems were caused by his diabetes. He fears a new kidney may throw his body off and cause more problems with his diabetes, which he has well under control. He has been on dialysis for a long time and his kidney function is down to 19% so it was time. If you would throw up prayers or good vibes or whatever you care to do for Tracy and his family as they go through this it would be appreciated.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 am

Consider it done David.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#3 Postby CajunMama » Tue May 15, 2012 5:58 pm

How is your friend, David? I hope everything went well.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: A few prayers for a friend please

#4 Postby angelwing » Tue May 15, 2012 5:59 pm

I am sorry I missed this, prayers being said here.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Stephanie » Wed May 16, 2012 8:34 pm

My prayers are going out to your friend for a successful surgery and few, if any, complications.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby vbhoutex » Thu May 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Tracy and his cousin who donated came through the surgery well. He is in isolation for at least a few weeks, but word is that his output is considered to be good, so prayers answered. Now if we can just pray him/them through the recovery phase all will be good. Thanks all for your prayers and concern.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: A few prayers for a friend please-surgery successful

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Tue May 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Well, so much for the isolation. He is doing so well he went home Saturday. Hopefully his recovery will continue this well.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Stephanie » Thu May 24, 2012 8:15 pm

vbhoutex wrote:Well, so much for the isolation. He is doing so well he went home Saturday. Hopefully his recovery will continue this well.

That's great news.
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby DaylilyDawn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:20 am

If your friend needs to talk to someone that has a kidney transplant let me know and I can get you in touch with my oldest son. In 1999 my oldest son went into kidney failure and almost died. Hi blood work numbers were off the chart when his doctor told him he had good news and bad news. My son wanted the bad news first. The doctor said you have to go on dialysis now. Then my son wanted the good news and the doctor said , the good news is that you are still alive. Looking at your chart, your blood work numbers say that you should be dead. On Sept 2 2000 my son received a kidney transplant , a young man nearly the same age as my son was brain dead after his truck ran off the interstate overpass on I4 as it comes into Lakeland at the 3rd Lakeland exit coming east. The young man had been visiting his girlfriend and fell asleep while driving home. The funny thing about this is my son would never eat greens such as collard, turnip or mustard greens. After the transplant my son started to eat greens. My son got a letter from the donor's sister and she said that her brother loved greens,
So if your friend starts eating things he never ate before it may come from his donor's kidney.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#10 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 am

DaylilyDawn wrote:If your friend needs to talk to someone that has a kidney transplant let me know and I can get you in touch with my oldest son. In 1999 my oldest son went into kidney failure and almost died. Hi blood work numbers were off the chart when his doctor told him he had good news and bad news. My son wanted the bad news first. The doctor said you have to go on dialysis now. Then my son wanted the good news and the doctor said , the good news is that you are still alive. Looking at your chart, your blood work numbers say that you should be dead. On Sept 2 2000 my son received a kidney transplant , a young man nearly the same age as my son was brain dead after his truck ran off the interstate overpass on I4 as it comes into Lakeland at the 3rd Lakeland exit coming east. The young man had been visiting his girlfriend and fell asleep while driving home. The funny thing about this is my son would never eat greens such as collard, turnip or mustard greens. After the transplant my son started to eat greens. My son got a letter from the donor's sister and she said that her brother loved greens,
So if your friend starts eating things he never ate before it may come from his donor's kidney.

Wow!!! I'll have to keep that in mind.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#11 Postby Stephanie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:32 am

DaylilyDawn wrote:If your friend needs to talk to someone that has a kidney transplant let me know and I can get you in touch with my oldest son. In 1999 my oldest son went into kidney failure and almost died. Hi blood work numbers were off the chart when his doctor told him he had good news and bad news. My son wanted the bad news first. The doctor said you have to go on dialysis now. Then my son wanted the good news and the doctor said , the good news is that you are still alive. Looking at your chart, your blood work numbers say that you should be dead. On Sept 2 2000 my son received a kidney transplant , a young man nearly the same age as my son was brain dead after his truck ran off the interstate overpass on I4 as it comes into Lakeland at the 3rd Lakeland exit coming east. The young man had been visiting his girlfriend and fell asleep while driving home. The funny thing about this is my son would never eat greens such as collard, turnip or mustard greens. After the transplant my son started to eat greens. My son got a letter from the donor's sister and she said that her brother loved greens,

Oh wow! That's fascinating. I hope that that young man is smiling from above knowing that he helped to save your son's life.
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby DaylilyDawn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Stephanie, I agree, it is fascinating. My son would never even try to eat greens before the transplant. He doesn't eat a whole lot of the greens at a time, but he is eating them . Before the transplant, my son ate very little meat ,very little vegetables pretty much just a very bland diet. His doctor said that may have extended the life of the kidney that finally died . He was in his early 20's when he went into failure. He was born with abnormally small kidneys that only worked at half the rate of a normal kidney. His remaining kidney could not handle all of the work . It continued to produce urine but the toxins in the urine built up in the blood. The toxins were what were killing my son. His doctor said that if he had waited another day before coming in, he would have passed away in his sleep.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Stephanie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:15 pm

DaylilyDawn wrote:Stephanie, I agree, it is fascinating. My son would never even try to eat greens before the transplant. He doesn't eat a whole lot of the greens at a time, but he is eating them . Before the transplant, my son ate very little meat ,very little vegetables pretty much just a very bland diet. His doctor said that may have extended the life of the kidney that finally died . He was in his early 20's when he went into failure. He was born with abnormally small kidneys that only worked at half the rate of a normal kidney. His remaining kidney could not handle all of the work . It continued to produce urine but the toxins in the urine built up in the blood. The toxins were what were killing my son. His doctor said that if he had waited another day before coming in, he would have passed away in his sleep.

Well, thank God that he did get in when he did and everything seems to be working out for him! :D
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby DaylilyDawn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:34 pm

It will be 12 years this Sept. since my son's transplant. He is back to normal as far as body functions go but he does had some problems due to osteoporosis in his hip and his spine and has limits of how much weight he should be lifting. Dr.s have said nothing heavier than 20 lbs. so that rules out a lot of jobs for a man his age. He will be 37 next May. He is a small framed man that is frequently mistaken to be a teen ager. Most people do not believe he is in his late 30's. When he shaves, young girls as young as 10 years old continually ask him to go out with them. Any where he goes the girls do it. it really shocks the mothers when they find out how old he is. But my son is not the type to take advantage of the situations when he gets asked that question.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#15 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Talked to our friends dad at church this morning. Last checkup was great. Not sure I heard everything right since I had and 8 week old in one hand, but he said they are not finding any of the enzymes they would be looking for if there were any problems. Tracy continues to improve each week. Many prayers have been answered.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby DaylilyDawn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:22 pm

I am glad that your friend is doing so well. I am keeping Tracy in my prayers so that he continues to get better
0 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby underthwx » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:33 pm

i echo the sentiments others have posted here...heres to a complete recovery and a long happy life...
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#18 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks everyone. I will pass along your continued support. We just continue to pray that there are no setbacks. I think that is everyone's biggest fear in a situation such as this.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby DaylilyDawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:37 pm

How about another update on Tracy. How is he is dealing with all the medicines?
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#20 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 am

Tracy has been having a few issues lately. I am not positive what they are, but I believe it is something to do with a virus. He was supposed to go back to work a few weeks ago and wasn't able to. I will try to get more info on Sunday if I see his parents or other family members. From what I understand nothing that is going on is life threatening.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Return to “Off Topic”