Transferring music from Nano to Itunes on new computer

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Transferring music from Nano to Itunes on new computer

#1 Postby Stephanie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:49 pm

HELP!

Itunes is so frustrating. The only songs it will recognize on a Nano or IPod when you get a new computer and authorize it are the ones that you purchased. It won't allow you to upload from that Nano/IPod any songs you downloaded from a cd yourself. I have not sync'd my Nano to the computer for fear of losing some of those songs and I really do not want to have to dig out those cd's and download them again.

I currently backed up a playlist as .xml files on a thumb drive and I'm sync'ing it to the Windows Media Player so I know it will be recognized by that. I'm not going close my account, but I don't want have to purchase something I already have. Any ideas?

Thanks!
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Transferring music from Nano to Itunes on new computer

#2 Postby lurkey » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Stephanie wrote:HELP!

Itunes is so frustrating. The only songs it will recognize on a Nano or IPod when you get a new computer and authorize it are the ones that you purchased. It won't allow you to upload from that Nano/IPod any songs you downloaded from a cd yourself. I have not sync'd my Nano to the computer for fear of losing some of those songs and I really do not want to have to dig out those cd's and download them again.

I currently backed up a playlist as .xml files on a thumb drive and I'm sync'ing it to the Windows Media Player so I know it will be recognized by that. I'm not going close my account, but I don't want have to purchase something I already have. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ok Apple will let you download purchased music from iTunes again.. it is part of the iTunes Match program. I do this all the time. (I fail at reading comprehension tonight). There are Window programs that will let you move (non-iTunes music) from your Nano to your computer. Try a Google search for them (I have a Macbook, so I can't help you there). The iTunes Match program also for $25 dollars a year will let you upload your non-iTunes music to Apple servers. You can then d/l them when you need them, often at a better quality than the original music file.
0 likes   
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
-- Hamlet, Act 1, scene 5

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress. - Jacob, Lost

"Every single day, ordinary people do extraordinary things." --Jimmy V

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Cyclenall » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:45 pm

I'll never use iTunes, that's for sure.

The iTunes Match program also for $25 dollars a year will let you upload your non-iTunes music to Apple servers.

:roll:
0 likes   

lurkey
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#4 Postby lurkey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Cyclenall wrote:I'll never use iTunes, that's for sure.

The iTunes Match program also for $25 dollars a year will let you upload your non-iTunes music to Apple servers.

:roll:

*shrugs* it's nice if you want to listen to your non-iTunes music without actually having to load the music on your iPhone/iPad.. but then again I don't buy many mp3s anymore.. I have been using Spotify lately.... set up all my playlists there and taken most of the music files off my phone.
0 likes   
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
-- Hamlet, Act 1, scene 5

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress. - Jacob, Lost

"Every single day, ordinary people do extraordinary things." --Jimmy V

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Stephanie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:31 pm

lurkey wrote:
Stephanie wrote:HELP!

Thanks!

ok Apple will let you download purchased music from iTunes again.. it is part of the iTunes Match program. I do this all the time. (I fail at reading comprehension tonight). There are Window programs that will let you move (non-iTunes music) from your Nano to your computer. Try a Google search for them (I have a Macbook, so I can't help you there). The iTunes Match program also for $25 dollars a year will let you upload your non-iTunes music to Apple servers. You can then d/l them when you need them, often at a better quality than the original music file.

I'll look on Google for that Windows program. I have no problem with my previously purchased music from iTunes but my main concern is the non-purchased music. Maybe I'll just save all on a thumb drive and keep it in a safe place for the next time.

Thanks for your help. :)
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 pm

You should be able to transfer the songs onto your computer (as the actual songs on a thumbdrive) and upload them to iTunes that way. (Click on File and they have an option of "Add file to Library" or "Add Folder to Library")

As long as the mp3s are on the new computer, you can upload them that way. I buy songs on rhapsody usually...and I wanted to add them to my iPhone, and did it that way. Added the two folders and then synced iTunes to my phone.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#7 Postby Stephanie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:48 pm

brunota2003 wrote:You should be able to transfer the songs onto your computer (as the actual songs on a thumbdrive) and upload them to iTunes that way. (Click on File and they have an option of "Add file to Library" or "Add Folder to Library")

As long as the mp3s are on the new computer, you can upload them that way. I buy songs on rhapsody usually...and I wanted to add them to my iPhone, and did it that way. Added the two folders and then synced iTunes to my phone.

I think that's the way I'm going to go then. I have to dig out some old cd's and some that I created so I can get them saved in one spot. Thanks! :)
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby DaylilyDawn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:45 pm

I use the windows Media player to get my music on the computer since I don't have any Apple products. I then rip the songs to the library . Then I use a program that I have to convert the songs to MP3 files. Then select all the MP3 files and send them to my thumb drive I have plugged into the computer. Once on the thumb drive, I take the drive and put it back into the car where I plug it back into the the USB port in the console. Once files are in a MP3 file I can also send them to my SanDisk MP3 player.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#9 Postby Stephanie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 pm

DaylilyDawn wrote:I use the windows Media player to get my music on the computer since I don't have any Apple products. I then rip the songs to the library . Then I use a program that I have to convert the songs to MP3 files. Then select all the MP3 files and send them to my thumb drive I have plugged into the computer. Once on the thumb drive, I take the drive and put it back into the car where I plug it back into the the USB port in the console. Once files are in a MP3 file I can also send them to my SanDisk MP3 player.

That would be an interesting alternative. Thanks!
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby DaylilyDawn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Stephanie,
I use the program put out by AShampoo called Music Studio 3. They have a newer version out called the same thing but 4 instead of 3 . I am trying it out as a test to see if I want to pay for it . It is the program that I used to convert the music to MP3 files.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby Stephanie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks again Daylily! How can you also use MP3 files to burn to cd's? I'm not as familiar with that type of format.

I know that if I have my music files on my laptop or flashdrive, ITunes will upload those songs into it's library. It just won't return the favor if I didn't purchase the songs through ITunes. Will the Media Player play MP3 files?

Thanks for the help!
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby DaylilyDawn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi Stephanie,
Yes the Widows media player will play MP3 files. I am playing one right now that I have on the desktop. I am using the laptop to answer your post with. I am not sure about it playing the files if they have been burned to a disc. You can try it and if it won't you would only be out for one disc. I will try it and get back to you after I am done. Well I did burn some MP3 files to a CD-RW I had that had nothing on it. Then I played the files with Media Player. It was a success . So it worked so go ahead and get your music converted to MP3s and burn to a disc to save them.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Stephanie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions DaylilyDawn! Some day I will sit down and get them all saved and converted. I'm copying your instructions to an excel file so I have them to refer to them later. :D
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby DaylilyDawn » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:59 pm

You are so welcome!I have learned a lot of things about computers since I got my first one in 2000. In fact I built the computer before this one with a little help from my youngest son. I researched all the parts and prices all online .The first time I opened up the case of my first computer was a little scary but all I was puutting into it was more memory. My first computer had Windows ME and crawled like a turtle . after I added more memory it ran better and pages loded in less than 20 seconds compared to 5 minutes.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby Stephanie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:15 pm

DaylilyDawn wrote:You are so welcome!I have learned a lot of things about computers since I got my first one in 2000. In fact I built the computer before this one with a little help from my youngest son. I researched all the parts and prices all online .The first time I opened up the case of my first computer was a little scary but all I was puutting into it was more memory. My first computer had Windows ME and crawled like a turtle . after I added more memory it ran better and pages loded in less than 20 seconds compared to 5 minutes.

It kind of reminds me of when PC's were first being used and a lot of people were afraid of touching the wrong button. I've never replaced anything in my PC or now, laptop and I would be scared at first as well. Good job!
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby DaylilyDawn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi Stephanie.
Have you converted your music to Mp3's yet? you can use the Ashampoo program free for 30 days I think before they deactivate it.I bought my copy of it though.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby Stephanie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:09 pm

I haven't gotten around to it Daylily, but I will.

Thank you again for your help! :)
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#18 Postby Stephanie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Actually, I just copied down your instructions. This way, I'll have them handy when I attempt to switch them over. It's one of those, you have to be in the right frame of mind and have sometime to do it. :D
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby DaylilyDawn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Glad you are getting it done. I had to restore my desktop back to factory conditions this weekend and the board is giving me fit about logging in on my desktop. I have re-install all of my games and programs in the next few days. I also have to rip my music to the desktop again and convert them again.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby Stephanie » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:03 pm

How old is your computer? I'm sorry you have to go through that. :(

I bought myself a HP SimpleSave backup from Amazon.com and it's small and compact. It's 320 GB hard drive and it automatically backups your data as soon as you plug it in. I have so many pictures that I have saved on my PC that I don't want to lose them plus the different files I have. Right now it's on sale for $69.99. They also have one for 500 GB. There's no software to install either and it's powered by the USB cable. Look it up.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”