At least 26 dead in shooting at Connecticut elementary schoo

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#41 Postby DaylilyDawn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:39 pm

I think the shooting was a horrible tragedy. It makes me want to cry every time I think about it.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: At least 26 dead in shooting at Connecticut elementary schoo

#42 Postby CajunMama » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:54 pm

The Voice did a tribute to the kids and teachers tonight. It's simply beautiful.

Hallelujah - The Voice
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#43 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:58 pm

CajunMama wrote:The Voice did a tribute to the kids and teachers tonight. It's simply beautiful.

Hallelujah - The Voice

It was wonderful. Brought tears to my eyes.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby brunota2003 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 am

I have a couple of more things, on gun bans, I would like to say...ideas.

Instead of outlawing guns and such, why don't we:

1. Allow teachers and staff, who have been properly trained and certified, to carry concealed in their classrooms/the front office? The weapons can be placed in a small safe on/under their desk, and have it set for finger print opening (or something similar). This could allow staff at the front office (in the instance of this shooting) end it before the gunman can get to the classrooms.

2. Set up armed security guards for each school (would require money, though). There are 99,000 public schools in the U.S., and 4 guards per school (minimum) would open up at least 396,000 permanent jobs (good for the economy). Put the guards through military like training, meaning teach them how to clear rooms/buildings...along with first aid. If a shooting starts, they can clear the building and start first aid on any shooting victims, long before police/EMS arrive. This would give the first units on the scene eyes on the inside, and allow more efficient direction of forces and paramedics.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#45 Postby StormingB81 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:56 am

brunota2003 wrote:I have a couple of more things, on gun bans, I would like to say...ideas.

1. Allow teachers and staff, who have been properly trained and certified, to carry concealed in their classrooms/the front office? The weapons can be placed in a small safe on/under their desk, and have it set for finger print opening (or something similar). This could allow staff at the front office (in the instance of this shooting) end it before the gunman can get to the classrooms.

2. Set up armed security guards for each school (would require money, though). There are 99,000 public schools in the U.S., and 4 guards per school (minimum) would open up at least 396,000 permanent jobs (good for the economy). Put the guards through military like training, meaning teach them how to clear rooms/buildings...along with first aid. If a shooting starts, they can clear the building and start first aid on any shooting victims, long before police/EMS arrive. This would give the first units on the scene eyes on the inside, and allow more efficient direction of forces and paramedics.

It is funny because Florida has Armed cops at their schools. This should be done else where to. As for the teachers, I wouldn't say every teacher but the majority of the mat key points in a school I wouldn't be surprised
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#46 Postby dizzyfish » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:10 pm

StormingB81 wrote:
brunota2003 wrote:I have a couple of more things, on gun bans, I would like to say...ideas.

It is funny because Florida has Armed cops at their schools. This should be done else where to. As for the teachers, I wouldn't say every teacher but the majority of the mat key points in a school I wouldn't be surprised

Yes, we do have cops at our schools. However - what are the chances of that cop being where you need them at them time you need them there. No disrespect meant. Our School Resource Officer agrees with me. We are a very large school (2800 students). We one have one officer.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#47 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:28 pm

They did say where trained police have come into situations like the above innocent bystanders were shot (that was mentioned on the CNN program where the interviewer had an English accent).

There is a slight chance a teacher might be able do it but there is a better chance some child will eventually get their hands on the teacher's gun.

I still will never be able to understand why it got to the point where civilians have semi-automatic guns that have clips that carry so many rounds. Now my city may have 1,000's of hunting rifles (locked up by law with the bullets locked up and kept elsewhere) but in the few cases I've heard of where someone has used one of those guns (not in my city though) they were shot when they were reloading it (it sure takes a lot longer in a stressful situation to put a bullet in an empty chamber). I have never heard a gun fired in my city (only when I was with my father when he was hunting, in the country, have I heard one being fired....... or by myself in target practice). However on my facebook I've read so many Americans have heard them go off in their neighbourhoods). :( It is also almost impossible to own a handgun here.

The deaths by guns in the United States is out of this world compared to other first world countries. Canadians cross the border without guns and the vast majority of us make it back home safe and sound. I do feel nervous though when we are down there knowing that most have one on their person or in their vehicle. One time when we were in Yellowstone a biker eyed us to take his picture (he studied us for a long time before handing his expensive camera to me). I in turn handed it to my husband and assured him it was safer with him (it was a heavy Nikon). I found it funny he was nervous of us (Sask. plates on our car a trailer in tow and a babe with us) vs. him wearing heavy leather with chains and driving a motorcyle (he looked close to a hell's angel). Pictures were taken and he got his camera back.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby Stephanie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:44 pm

I do hope that this AWFUL tragedy does help to bring some progress on the issues of mental health care, access to automatic assault weapons, the need for automatic assault weapons. There has been a lot of discuss already, but action is needed.

I can't even IMAGINE the pain the poor town and families of the victims are going through. Westboro Baptist needs their tax exemption status taken away.

God Bless the town and citizens of Newtown, CT.
0 likes   

DaylilyDawn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#49 Postby DaylilyDawn » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:09 pm

I wish that people with mental issues trying to buy rifles would be examined by a doctor before the sale is approved. You know a 3 day medical waiting period ,before buying like a 3 day waiting period for fire arm sales for normal people.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#50 Postby Stephanie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:19 pm

DaylilyDawn wrote:I wish that people with mental issues trying to buy rifles would be examined by a doctor before the sale is approved. You know a 3 day medical waiting period ,before buying like a 3 day waiting period for fire arm sales for normal people.

I wonder if medical history questions are even on the application? Anyone? That would kind of make sense to me.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”