NBC Ratings Plummet down to the Cellar

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Will the network collapse within the next 3 years?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 11

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

NBC Ratings Plummet down to the Cellar

#1 Postby Cyclenall » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 pm

By BILL CARTER Published: February 24, 2013 wrote:With every passing week, the sudden blossoming of prime-time success that NBC experienced last fall is looking more like a mirage.

“Do No Harm,” with Stephanie Roth Haberle and Steven Pasquale, was canceled quickly.

The ratings of last September through December, when NBC shocked the television industry by winning 13 of 15 weeks, have dissipated to numbers so small they have not been seen before by any broadcast network — certainly not during a rating period known as a sweeps month, when networks present their strongest programming.

When the official numbers are completed Thursday, NBC will finish this sweeps month not only far behind its regular network competitors, but also well behind the Spanish-language Univision. No broadcast network has ever before finished a television season sweeps month in fifth place.

NBC executives expected a falloff after the N.F.L. season, but last December they expressed hope that some momentum could be sustained. Now, the network is playing by the silver-linings playbook.

“This February was tough, but thankfully the fall did as well as it did,” said Jeff Bader, the chief scheduling executive for NBC. “If we had the fall we were expecting — which was an improvement, but not to be No. 1 — this month would have been a lot harder to take. This is just frustrating.”

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/25/busin ... hare&_r=1&

Wow, stumbled upon this just the other day. I knew it was doing poorly for a long time now (at least since 2006?) but I didn't know the fall gave it new hope that turned out to be false. If you read the whole article, it states that NBC is doing so bad that its likely losing hundreds of millions on TV. Almost all the prime-time content they have aired in February has been a disaster. Saturday Night Live shockingly is now the highest rated program NBC is airing...a Saturday late evening show that is 38 years old!!!! :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: . A collapse may not be far away.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:06 pm

I do not know, this and Revolution are good shows. Now, these are the only shows we watch on NBC, so.....

http://www.nbc.com/chicago-fire/

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#3 Postby Cyclenall » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Tireman4 wrote:I do not know, this and Revolution are good shows. Now, these are the only shows we watch on NBC, so.....

http://www.nbc.com/chicago-fire/

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/

I was unsure on Revolution but decided not to watch because its on the Peacock and the plotline didn't interest me that much. It'll just be canceled after 1 season like The Event and FlashForward (still very angry and pissed at ABC for canceling that one :grr: :grr: :grr: ). Having a massive break for Revolution was a horrible idea from NBC (they have lots) and they keep doing that for these serialized dramas...seriously? I wouldn't be surprised to see the ratings tank once it comes back on air.

Here is a comment I pulled off the web about NBC:

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if NBC's programming department is in fact a giant tank full of manatees randomly selecting new shows, canceled shows and general scheduling, a la that South Park episode.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:29 pm

I started watching the Revolution and it didn't catch my interest, it was too slow and the post-apocalyptic thing has already been done.
0 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 pm

It would not break my heart to see NBC go.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby brunota2003 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 pm

They'll collapse, then receive a bail out because they are "too big to fail" :lol: :roll:
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

Re: NBC Ratings Plummet down to the Cellar

#7 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:20 pm

It's sad that they're beaten by Univision, a Spanish-Language network. Here's their promo in English:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56eHnouB2s[/youtube]

Even more sad when an affiliate in Cleveland dumps one of their primetime lineups for "Matlock" movies.
0 likes   
Weather Enthusiast since 1991.
- Facebook
- Twitter

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 pm

The reason Univision is so big among Hispanics that don't speak English is that there isn't a lot of options in Spanish on TV, so everyone basically follows the same road. But once you learn English, there are so many options, that you almost never go back to watching TV in Spanish. I personally love baseball, so I watch MLB Network religiously every day, especially now with the WBC.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby wx247 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:47 am

Network TV as a whole is in trouble. NBC may be the first to experience this difficulty, but it likely won't be the last. The network is likely going to have to completely rebrand itself if it hopes to survive.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby gigabite » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:10 pm

Urban areas have a dense network of off-air hdtv capasity. The broadcast spectrum is under pressure from the telecoms, but there is a growing market for indoor HDTV Antenna. With the availability of 35 stations in some major markets the quality versus cost efficiency of the product could start to pressure the margins of cable and satellite providers.
0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”