Good thing it doesn't have all that much time to strengthen

0 likes   

Cape Verde
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Tropical Storm ERIN: Discussions, Analysis and Imagery

#542 Postby Cape Verde » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:43 pm

shelby wrote:

Cape Verde wrote:If Erin hits and it's not even noticeable, Dean could be a Cat 5, and no one will move.

IMO I think that the comment was not made towards to central coast - it was made to HOU area because of the problems with the Rita evac - just my opinion

That is true. What Houston experienced in its attempted (and in hindsight unnecesarry) evacuation was a nightmare. People literally died from the heat in their cars in the huge traffic jam. Thousands of vehicles ran out of gas and were pushed off the road.

Anyone who experienced that, especially in light of the fact that the hurricane missed the city when we were told two days before landfall that a Cat 5 storm was going to nail us, is going to think long and hard before evacuating. Yes, some will. When I said no one will move, it was for effect.

But I don't think you'll ever see a mass evacuation until the local population has been proven wrong by their decision to stay. Houston doesn't think Katrina has any relevance.
0 likes   

shelby
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#543 Postby shelby » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:46 pm

Cape Verde wrote:
shelby wrote:

Cape Verde wrote:If Erin hits and it's not even noticeable, Dean could be a Cat 5, and no one will move.

IMO I think that the comment was not made towards to central coast - it was made to HOU area because of the problems with the Rita evac - just my opinion

That is true. What Houston experienced in its attempted (and in hindsight unnecesarry) evacuation was a nightmare. People literally died from the heat in their cars in the huge traffic jam. Thousands of vehicles ran out of gas and were pushed off the road.

Anyone who experienced that, especially in light of the fact that the hurricane missed the city when we were told two days before landfall that a Cat 5 storm was going to nail us, is going to think long and hard before evacuating. Yes, some will. When I said no one will move, it was for effect.

But I don't think you'll ever see a mass evacuation until the local population has been proven wrong by their decision to stay. Houston doesn't think Katrina has any relevance.

I agree but I like to think that HOU leadership learned as they did in Allison. I just hope (wishfully) that no one in HOU ever has to make those decisions again.
Last edited by shelby on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#544 Postby wxman57 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:48 pm

It's really hard to close off a center on the latest plot. Could be a broad weak LLC way south of the convection. I don't see how the NHC can say some strengthening is possible unless they put the center beneath the MLC and convection. Convection will be inland by sunrise. Not much chance of any significant wind inland. Strongest sustained winds on the coast will probably be 20-25 kts with gusts to 40-45 kts possible in squalls moving inland around Matagorda Bay to Freeport area. Not much at all around wherever that nothing of a center moves inland.

With that, I've issued my final comment on Erin, and I'll say:

It's dead, Jim! (or, It's just more rain moving ashore, Jim!)

Time to focus on Dean.

Night, all.
0 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#545 Postby drezee » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:49 pm

drezee wrote:I am starting to have the feelinjg that people are going to fall asleep to a Tropical Storm and wake up to a minimal hurricane coming ashore...

Expect a WTNT65 tonight on Erin.
0 likes   

Duddy
Category 1
Category 1

#546 Postby Duddy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:50 pm

drezee wrote:
drezee wrote:I am starting to have the feelinjg that people are going to fall asleep to a Tropical Storm and wake up to a minimal hurricane coming ashore...

Whats WTNT65 :?:
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#547 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:52 pm

drezee wrote:

I never say never, but 99.99999999999999999999999999% chance that won't happen. I'm about to crash myself...
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#548 Postby tailgater » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:52 pm

tailgater wrote:I doubt that they will downgrade because it will probably start to refire new convection right after dark, this is the diurnal minimum

Good guess Tailgater, thanks guys. :lol:
0 likes   

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#549 Postby jabman98 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:53 pm

Hopefully the next time a big storm is bearing down on Houston, people will listen to the evacuation recommendations, rather than decide they have to flee, even if they live well north and west of the city. Unncessary evacuations contributed to the mess on the roads. Not excusing the clusterf*** that ensued by poor planning, etc. - but just saying that people leaving when they weren't in a specific evacuation area didn't really help things.

I think Erin is a good trial run for the area in the sense that it reminds everyone hurricane season is here and hopefully gets people thinking about their plans. Of course Erin being a non-event (so far) is a bit of a letdown. Hopefully it won't be a case of people thinking things are overhyped and ignoring warnings the next time. I think the local Houston coverage has been relatively measured and accurate with Erin, so people know there's a storm but aren't all freaking out because of hypecasting.

So far we've had very little going on here. Not even any gusts of wind to speak of or a sprinkle. I'm near downtown.
0 likes   

Cape Verde
Category 2
Category 2

#550 Postby Cape Verde » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Why do weathermen and sailors insist on using kts to describe speed, when most of us landlubbers never deal with that?

Is there a rational reason?
0 likes   

Stratosphere747
Category 5
Category 5

#551 Postby Stratosphere747 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:54 pm

tailgater wrote:
tailgater wrote:I doubt that they will downgrade because it will probably start to refire new convection right after dark, this is the diurnal minimum

How long are you in town Tailgater....... :P

And staying on topic - I think I'd even up the odds Jschlitz placed...
0 likes   

Duddy
Category 1
Category 1

#552 Postby Duddy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:54 pm

tailgater wrote:

Nice job!!! You win one (1) Internet!
0 likes   

Duddy
Category 1
Category 1

#553 Postby Duddy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:55 pm

Cape Verde wrote:Why do weathermen and sailors insist on using kts to describe speed, when most of us landlubbers never deal with that?

Is there a rational reason?

Because the metric system makes sense. :)
0 likes   

shelby
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#554 Postby shelby » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:56 pm

jabman98 wrote:
So far we've had very little going on here. Not even any gusts of wind to speak of or a sprinkle. I'm near downtown.

I am in NW HOU off the white oak - nothing here yet either - nice storm early this morning though - lots of lighting
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#555 Postby wxman57 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:56 pm

What's a "mph"? :?:
0 likes   

Cape Verde
Category 2
Category 2

#556 Postby Cape Verde » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 pm

wxman57 wrote:What's a "mph"? :?:

ROFL
0 likes   

Duddy
Category 1
Category 1

#557 Postby Duddy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:58 pm

0 likes   

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#558 Postby jabman98 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:02 pm

shelby wrote:I am in NW HOU off the white oak - nothing here yet either - nice storm early this morning though - lots of lighting

We had that too - about 4:00 a.m. or so. Lots of rain, thunder and lightning. Figured it was an early band and thought we'd get more today, but nothing since then.

:lol:
0 likes   

SkeetoBite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#559 Postby SkeetoBite » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:05 pm

Some crazy guy said "let's take these knots and multiply them by say... hmmm... let's say about 1.151 and see what we get." And he saw that it was good and forevermore it was known as "mhp"... I mean "MPH"!
0 likes   

btangy
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#560 Postby btangy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Given this new persistent blob of deep convection, it could turn out that the northern end of this elongated trough (which Windsat obs show nicely) might close off and become the dominant LLC. Though this is pretty much academic as it doesn't really matter where the center is. Definitely a new MCV forming at mid-levels per Galveston and Corpus Christi long range reflectivities from what I can tell. Whether this makes it down the surface is a different matter. Needs to move a little closer to radar so the doppler velocities show up better.
0 likes   

Return to “2007”