Moderator: S2k Moderators

CoCo2
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Cat 1 Hurricane Gustav makes landfall-Cocodrie, LA

#10281 Postby CoCo2 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:51 pm

SoupBone wrote:
Ed Mahmoud wrote:
GoneBabyGone wrote:posting from my phone on lsus campus. power been out for approx 2.5 hours. shingles ripping off roofs. large portion of the top layer of roof missing from rec center. large branches down. some trees and signs too. this is just in my tiny section of campus. fascinating to watch. my first full on hurricane. winds dying down a bit but still strong gusts

Stay safe.

I wonder how places closer to coast and farther from media like Gray, Thibodaux and St. Martinville did...

I'm trying to get info out of Terrebonne too. I'm sure lower Terrebonne got some heft damage but I haven't had anything confirmed except from watching Jim Cantore on TWC.

Try this site http://www.mogulus.com/HTVHouma. My parents now live in Houma and we have been watching HTV-10 all evening. HTV-10 goes in and out, but be patient and you'll get info. Lots of wind damage, trees, roof, power-lines. No real water damage, except rain, so far...
0 likes   

attallaman

Re: Hurricane Gustav makes landfall-Cocodrie, LA

#10282 Postby attallaman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:57 pm

All is finally quiet here in Biloxi tonight after a very windy, squally day, not that much rain but my electricity did go out twice today but there is finally calm after the storm here in Biloxi tonight, the wind is still blowing a bit but nothing like it did earlier today. Everything is ok.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#10283 Postby southerngale » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:01 pm

I'm glad to see so many of our members are safe. The report of the man who died in Lafayette just breaks my heart. I wish people in the path would evacuate. :(

They never dropped the Hurricane Warning here until it was well inland, and we're still in a Tropical Storm Warning. We certainly don't need it... the highest gust in the area (that I know about) was 43mph and we've gotten very little rain. It was definitely much milder than forecast here.

Best wishes to anyone still experiencing bad weather.
0 likes   

Enzo Aquarius
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#10284 Postby Enzo Aquarius » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:27 pm

southerngale wrote:I'm glad to see so many of our members are safe. The report of the man who died in Lafayette just breaks my heart. I wish people in the path would evacuate. :(

Best wishes to anyone still experiencing bad weather.

I agree. I wish everybody a good night as Gustav runs its course.
0 likes   

HarlequinBoy
Category 5
Category 5

#10285 Postby HarlequinBoy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:31 pm

mvtrucking wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
jimguru wrote:Anybody else heard that Lake Charles may get 20+ (yes twenty) inches of rain?

The rain is about over in Lake Charles. Gustav's moving off to the north, just a weaker western feeder band near the city.

I'm thinking extensive rainfall here in Monroe will be possible though. Wxman57, what is your opinion? Thanks.

I think over the next few days a significant flood event could unfold over the Arklatex.
0 likes   

GoneBabyGone
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10286 Postby GoneBabyGone » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:48 pm

accuweather.com and other sites say the wind in baton rouge is going to be 50 soon and 70 by 1 am. is this likely or even plausible? this is almost as high as the winds when the eye passed by us. how the heck can it pick back up so fast?
0 likes   

GoneBabyGone
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10287 Postby GoneBabyGone » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:59 pm

to the guy who mentioned lsu...quite a bit of damage. rec center roof torn up. shingles off of eca. some of the gigantic oak trees in the quad were completely uprooted (tornado?). tons of downed trees big branches signs. someones car took serious dmg from falling tree. not terrible though. could have been much worse. this will likely be my last post tonight. power out and phone dyng. stay safe all
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Tropical Storm Gustav

#10288 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:03 pm

Last map from me for Gustav.

0 likes   

bahamaswx
Category 5
Category 5

#10289 Postby bahamaswx » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:11 pm

GoneBabyGone wrote:(tornado?)

Doubt it. Saturate the earth a little bit and those big oak trees topple with ridiculous ease.
0 likes   

Eddy Gurge
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10290 Postby Eddy Gurge » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:15 pm

bahamaswx wrote:
GoneBabyGone wrote:(tornado?)

Doubt it. Saturate the earth a little bit and those big oak trees topple with ridiculous ease.

The last serious wind storm we had up here, after a good number of rains, took out 12 45-60' oaks within a two block radius. Wet ground and oaks just do not mix. At least up here.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10291 Postby crazycajuncane » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:17 pm

We don't have a lot of time to relax mentally. I like a discussion that the KATC TV 3 team had about 5 am this morning.

Dave Baker was talking about how the technology we have may not be the best thing, because you are hearing about these storms and the possibility of it hitting you 10 days away. By time these things finally hit everyone is mentally fatigued.

Now our eyes will quickly focus on Hanna although I hope the track holds for our sake. Then there is Ike right behind. Then maybe Josephine...

Well this is my last post tonight. I am glad to hear our members are safe and well tonight.
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#10292 Postby PTPatrick » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Was just reading on NOLA.com that people are being told not to come back until after wednesday. I can understand frusteration and I dont exactly agree with the city keeping people for their homes. But lets just say the comments section is nuts. These people will never be happy. One of them says "before Katrina the never would have evacuated for a hurricane going to Morgan City". Do these people not realize how easily this could have eclipsed katrina? How could they go through what they went through and second guess authorities about staying. Sure they city will likely be gunshy, why wouldnt they be. They were only about 40 miles from another Katrina or Betsy type flood. I give the city huge props for the evacuation that was undertaken. New Orleans is NOT a city that can afford complacency, we have been there and done that, seen what happens. 1500 lives later city and state leaders be damned if they ever let it happen again. The right thing was done regardless of how you feel about Nagin. They know they are fighting nature and they need to freakin deal with the inconvenience of it. My folks live on the water in a stilt home that took water in katrina. They CHOSE to rebuild and you will never hear them whine about leaving it, even though they cant stay for even the small storms because their cars would likely flood. The sad thing is these people complaining are the people that will be on the roofs when the big one does hit. I never wanted to evac when I lived on the coast, but life is too precious. They need o get over themselves and realize how fortunate they and the rest of the citizens are that the city got this one right. This was a close one and these people need to realize that. Period.

Vent session over.
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10293 Postby LAwxrgal » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:30 pm

tolakram wrote:Last map from me for Gustav.

Thanks Tolakram for the tracking! :)
0 likes   

mvtrucking
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10294 Postby mvtrucking » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:45 pm

I wanted to thank you Tolakram for all of your time & work you put into those maps. It was really helpful in following this storm. Take care.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#10295 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:53 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gustav

Wikipedia is saying total damage in the United states is 18 billion. I don't believe it...I will wait for this to be confirmed. Highly doubt this beat Ivan, Charley, Wilma, Dennis.

This is from some group that is saying this. Wait for the offical est.
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#10296 Postby PTrackerLA » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:09 pm

All things considered, NHC did an incredible job forecasting Gustav in what was NOT an easy forecast at all.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2008/gr ... p_5W.shtml
0 likes   

LAwxrgal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10297 Postby LAwxrgal » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:13 pm

Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gustav

Wikipedia is saying total damage in the United states is 18 billion. I don't believe it...I will wait for this to be confirmed. Highly doubt this beat Ivan, Charley, Wilma, Dennis.

Well you have to remember industry in this area has probably taken a huge hit. Oil & gas, tourism, and the sugar cane crop...so you can definitely tack on a few billion in losses just for those industries alone.
0 likes   

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#10298 Postby TexasStooge » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:27 pm

I'm justglad nothing catastrophic has happened in Gustav's path...so far.

I know the Dallas/Fort Worth area will get a 50% chance of rain and thunderstorms starting Tuesday Night from Gustav. Much of the activity will happen in the Eastern areas of North Texas.
0 likes   

HarlequinBoy
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#10299 Postby HarlequinBoy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:30 pm

mvtrucking wrote:I wanted to thank you Tolakram for all of your time & work you put into those maps. It was really helpful in following this storm. Take care.

Yeah I really appreciated those maps, they were really helpful.
0 likes   

HarlequinBoy
Category 5
Category 5

#10300 Postby HarlequinBoy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:31 pm

LAwxrgal wrote:
Matt-hurricanewatcher wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gustav

Well you have to remember industry in this area has probably taken a huge hit. Oil & gas, tourism, and the sugar cane crop...so you can definitely tack on a few billion in losses just for those industries alone.

I heard New Orleans lost $100 million alone off of Southern Decadence.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”