Forum Preferences Question / Problem

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Forum Preferences Question / Problem

#1 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:09 pm

One problem I see with the forum is that it defaults to oldest messages first. This means that when I visit a very long topic - like the daily tropical discussion thread - that I must always go down to the bottom of he page and choose "New Messages First" each time I visit the thread.

It seems unnatural to default to the oldest messages first, as those have already been read. Couldn't the forum default to new messages first? That way, when we check a topic to see what's new, we don't have to jump through hoops to get to the newest messages.

Or, at the very least, could we set our own preferences here? If I choose "new messages first" on one visit, that preference isn't remembered.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby mf_dolphin » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:33 pm

The short answer is ...we can't change it. That's the way the board is written. If you click on the icon at the far right it will take you to the last post in the thread. :-)
0 likes   

pvroses
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby pvroses » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:33 pm

I agree ! At our "other" board we had quite a show down when admin changed the order of the new posts ! We "thumbies" protested loudly and low and behold they left our forum only to most recent posts at the top. I do like it that way,but just having an option would be nice too ! It saves time,especially if you stop in to check things out more than once a day. I do know we can click on most recent post to the far right of a topic,but usually I end up scrolling backwards anyway to find where I've left off. I suppose it's def. a personal preferance.~K :wink:

opps, I see I posted at the same time as you ! That's ok, if it can't be changed, I still like it here !
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#4 Postby ColdFront77 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:43 pm

I find it much easier to read through the oldest posts first, so you don't have to move up each page.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:03 pm

I find it MUCH easier this way as well... I like reading from top to bottom.. Not bottom to top
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

I'm Perplexed

#6 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:57 pm

When one selects "New Messages First", you <b>do</b> read from top to bottom. But the way it is now, you're forced to read from bottom to top.

Alas, if that's the way it is, there's no point in beating a dead horse. I'll suffer. :cry:
0 likes   

ColdFront77

#7 Postby ColdFront77 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:02 am

I have mine set for "Oldest First," so I can read the messages from top to bottom. Scrolling down from older posts from top to bottom gives more flow to the threads.

As for the list of threads in each forum... I find having the newer ones on top easier to navigate. Seeing the newest threads on the top of the page let's you know the threads that were recently responded to; which I find better when looking through the list.
0 likes   

Return to “Tests, Help, & Suggestions”