I've found out what the problem with the links is

This forum is for making test posts, requesting assistance, and making suggestions

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

I've found out what the problem with the links is

#1 Postby wxmann_91 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:04 pm

OK, so after one posts a very long URL here, the software automatically shortens it (almost all board software does that nowadays).

But the problem is, when you edit it (the post, that is), the shortened URL with the ellipsis appears in the text box, rather than the original URL. So for those who are doing a quick fix, they don't realize it, and what happens is that in the post, the code is...

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.reallylongurl ... 0100/folder]www.reallylongurl ... 0100/folder[/url]

rather than the desired

[url=http://www.reallylongurlsstink/heyiwouldjustliketomakethisurllonger/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz/990100/folder]www.reallylongurl ... 0100/folder[/url]

And of course "www.reallylongurl ... 0100/folder" doesn't go anywhere.

Just an FYI for those interested. Besides fixing the software, we as posters who read this thread, can either...

a) type to code in manually the following way

[url=www.reallylongurl.com]Hyperlink text appears here[/url]

(result) Hyperlink text appears here

b) use TinyURL

c) make sure we're extra careful if we don't use methods above

That is all.
Last edited by wxmann_91 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby chadtm80 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:59 am

Thank you wxmann_91 .. I will work on the issue.. Untill then everyone can just follow your instructions :-)

If you dont edit your post the link will be fine.. If you do edit it, try to just put the original link back in over the existing code.
Sorry everyone.. Just remember we are walking the ledge in "phpbb technology" and the fine folks over at phpbb dont know about problems untill they arise and fix as we go
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby wxmann_91 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:11 am

Thanks for moving this to TT and pinning it :)

I've edited the post for clarity since more users will now be reading this thread
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re:

#4 Postby southerngale » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:24 am

wxmann_91 wrote:Thanks for moving this to TT and pinning it :)

I've edited the post for clarity since more users will now be reading this thread

Not just TT, wxmann_91... you've made it global. Check the other forums. ;) :P

And thanks for the nice explanation.
0 likes   

Windsurfer_NYC
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5 Postby Windsurfer_NYC » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:29 am

What is so tough about typing in your link: http://www.reallylongexamplelink.com/ and then hitting "preview", highlighting the link and then clicking the "URL" button??

Note to mods: it would be nice if we had these style buttons in the first "post a reply" area. Why do we have to click "preview" to get these useful buttons?

Thanks!
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#6 Postby chadtm80 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:33 am

Windsurfer_NYC wrote:What is so tough about typing in your link: http://www.reallylongexamplelink.com/ and then hitting "preview", highlighting the link and then clicking the "URL" button??

Note to mods: it would be nice if we had these style buttons in the first "post a reply" area. Why do we have to click "preview" to get these useful buttons?

Thanks!

You dont have to actually.. If you just hit the post reply button at the bottom of the thread in the first place, instead of using the quick reply box you will have all the features necassary.. the quick reply box is just that.. for a quick post needing no extra functions
0 likes   

Windsurfer_NYC
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Re:

#7 Postby Windsurfer_NYC » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:26 pm

chadtm80 wrote:You dont have to actually.. If you just hit the post reply button at the bottom of the thread in the first place, instead of using the quick reply box you will have all the features necassary.. the quick reply box is just that.. for a quick post needing no extra functions

Right, you can hit the "Post Reply" button to the left, or the "quote" on the right to get to the full featured reply box, but I would bet many (most?) users use the quick reply box since it is so large and inviting. I sometimes find myself hunting around the screen to find these smaller buttons, since there is a lot going on within these pages...

Why not upgrade the quick reply box into the full featured box?
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: I've found out what the problem with the links is

#8 Postby Stephanie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:44 pm

Thanks wxmann! :D
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby wxmann_91 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:18 pm