cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL : INVEST 95L - DISCUSSION

#101 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:13 pm

18z Best Track

AL, 95, 2010082018, , BEST, 0, 110N, 270W, 25, 1009, DB

ftp://ftp.tpc.ncep.noaa.gov/atcf/tcweb/ ... 010.invest

Still moving strait west at 270 degrees.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:16 pm

As always, if we want it to be a fish, we better hope for rapid development....the longer it remains weak, the more west it goes.
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#103 Postby thetruesms » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:17 pm

KWT wrote:Yeah the eastern vortex was still part of 95L and is heading towards more unfavourable conditions as well so thats probably why the NHC haven't done anything with it.
Yup, too bad. I was almost rooting for the little guy to beat the odds and manage something before going away.
0 likes   

Ikester
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#104 Postby Ikester » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Slighty OT, but has there every been a system classified as soon as it hit the water off the coast of Africa? Looking at some tracks, there are some that have come close to doing so and why?
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby KWT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:28 pm

cycloneye wrote:18z Best Track

Yep though I really wouldn't pay any attention until we have an actual center present with this system considering its a large gyre, the center could form anywhere from 20-30W in theory, though I like the region near 25W right now.

Oh and for those that haven't seen it, the eCM has thrown a HUGE spanner in the works, both weak and heading towards the bahamas!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#106 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Ikester wrote:Slighty OT, but has there every been a system classified as soon as it hit the water off the coast of Africa? Looking at some tracks, there are some that have come close to doing so and why?

Best track data may not indicate when advisories were first issued on a system. Tracks could have been extended eastward post-season (or post-storm) on many of them in that region.

Many systems emerge out into the Atlantic looking like full-blown tropical storms. Typically, the NHC will wait at least a few days to see if the system holds together before starting advisories.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#107 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:30 pm

KWT wrote:

Yep though I really wouldn't pay any attention until we have an actual center present with this system considering its a large gyre, the center could form anywhere from 20-30W in theory, though I like the region near 25W right now.

Oh and for those that haven't seen it, the eCM has thrown a HUGE spanner in the works, both weak and heading towards the bahamas!

Hurricanes blocked by ridges to the north typically aren't weak, though.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby KWT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Yeah and thats why I don't understand the ECM and why its so weak throughout, the TUTT is weak on it from what I've heard, I'd be curious to see what it forecasts in terms of the relative humidity in case it takes in dry air but its an odd one!

As I said in the other thread, if this one strengthens to any great degree its going swimming...if it takes its sweet time it'll not feel the effects of the upper trough enough to lift it out and then its simply the luck of the draw.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:36 pm

KWT wrote:

hehe.. Flag Flapping In the Wind ... lol
0 likes   

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

#110 Postby Riptide » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:40 pm

95L continues to organize apparently. We will know if the intensity forecast from the euro was out to lunch very soon.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby KWT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
hehe.. Flag Flapping In the Wind ... lol

Haha I wouldn't say it was flapping yet, more like showing a slight ripple motion along one of the corners...now if more models join the ECM weak and west party, then that ripple can grow into a torrent of wind! :roll:

Slow organisation right now, nothing too rapid will happen with this one regardless of the eventual track, the development of this one looks quite steady in the next 4 days...unless the ECM is to be believed where it starts to weaken from 4 days onwards!
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:54 pm

surface obs with the farther east showing that a small circ exists..
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby KatDaddy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Looks like 3 systems spinning. That is an amazing.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#114 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:01 pm

Aric, what is that in front of 95L?
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Vortex
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#115 Postby Vortex » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Thats interesting..for many runs gfs was indicating develoment of a weak low moving west towards the islands in advance of 95...
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby KWT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 pm

I wonder if thats why the ECM doesn't do much, it can't consolidate a proper center and so it limps along with a weak system that is forever competing with itself...hard to know without looking at the high resolution version of the Vort maps from ECM.

It does look amazing though for sure, when in doubt I just plump for the middle circulation and that looks the stronger despite the eastern one clearly being a closed low IMO.

Also, if that eastern system is a TD/TS then nothing ever will be, evidently got a closed low and its very convectivly active, heck its got decent banding even!
0 likes   

Vortex
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#117 Postby Vortex » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:19 pm

I’ve watched these systems for 30+ years and I cannot remember seeing a trio like this…. :eek:
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:21 pm

cycloneye wrote:Aric, what is that in front of 95L?

well its just an area of convergence... from surface observations and satellite this a rough analysis of the flow at the surface. there is some good convergence and the surface flow is going right trough that area. the over all circulation is very broad with a couple small vorticies within it. sorry for the roughness of the image had to hand draw it ... lol but I think you get the idea..

0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#119 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Vortex wrote:I’ve watched these systems for 30+ years and I cannot remember seeing a trio like this…. :eek:

That is the monsoon trough in action there.That is why it will be slow to develop as it has to get rid of it before development takes place.
0 likes   

petit_bois
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#120 Postby petit_bois » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:29 pm

looks like a possible big deep water fish... entertainment...
0 likes   
Resident of the Atlantic Basin's Major Hurricane Hit Capital!
Camille (200+winds), Frederic, Goerges, Katrina... and many many more.

Disclaimer: I'm likely the smartest guy here... but I have no idea where a tropical cyclone will go. I suggest you take my opinion as a grain of salt. I suggest you look to the National Hurricane Center for accurate info.

Return to “2010”