ATL : INVEST 90L - DISCUSSION

Moderator: S2k Moderators

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#161 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Yeah this one has pretty much 0 chance of being a TS being a July TS, probably won't see much development beyond the current point for the next 2-3 days, but once the whole complex links up and gets kicked westwards towards 40-50W things could get going.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#162 Postby thetruesms » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:47 pm

In the pit of my stomach, I've got this same bad feeling that wxman57 vocalized earlier about the NE Caribbean, and then on to the Bahamas and Florida because of where it's at now. But really, this far out, I could construct a good number of scenarios that are just as plausible, with more twists thrown in as we're beginning to see interaction between our two areas of interest.

I'm going to be really interested in how the early stages of this one play out. We've got a couple genesis projects running this summer - I hope that they'll be able to get data on this one, though the distance may be prohibitive
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL : INVEST 90L - DISCUSSION

#163 Postby cycloneye » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:51 pm

The big question this afternoon is, if the wave will be designated as 91L and then drop 90L.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#164 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Hmmm given they are now putting this whole region under Code Yellow as one big region, I personally think they will keep 90L and just wait for the wave behind to interact with this region.

thetruesms, I was thinking that yesterday but actually I personally think the thread may end up further west, thats usually what occurs in La Nina, Dean was a perfect example of that.

Still I do agree the NE/E Caribbean obviously needs to watch, I doubt its north of at least the far east.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#165 Postby cycloneye » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Is really big the circule now. It looks like the wave behind will take over.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#166 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:05 pm

I still find it so annoying that they have to black out the eastern atlantic satellite images like that .. you would think that they would extend to the coast.. i dont need to see africa lol hate looking at blurry over zoomed images... the Eumetsat is not much better in that region... it rather dumb if you ask me...
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#167 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Yeah, the western wave has really slowed right down, only moved slightly it seems recently....

The westerly wave still has decent turning though it has to be said.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#168 Postby Ivanhater » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm not sure...The Euro and other models favor the vort of 90L taking over in the end.

Then again, you have the GFS that never can combine and the eastern wave rides north of 90L and cause problems for each other. The transfer will take time but I do think it will occur and develop.

Track.....well I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole yet :roll:
0 likes   
Michael

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#169 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:07 pm

yeah yesterday I was surprised it was so small ... the other day I mentioned that the circle would be rather large due to the uncertainties ... but oh well
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#170 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:13 pm

another thing probably already mentioned.. the models at this point are not useful at all for track because depending on where someone wants to put a best track will change what any particular model does with the big mess...
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#171 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:14 pm

KWT wrote:Yeah, the western wave has really slowed right down, only moved slightly it seems recently....

The westerly wave still has decent turning though it has to be said.

yeah lol.. it moved slightly NE.. but it does seem to have a slightly better circ than yesterday ..
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#172 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Are they saying that area 1(10%) and area 2(20%) will merge? I'm confused because they don't really look like
they are that close to each other. In fact, I've seen several storms develop in the past that have been that
close to each other before. One usually ends up being quite a bit stronger than the other of course, but nonetheless.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#173 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm

Yeah Ivanhater, the models really can't decide how to handle any interaction between the two waves, its not totally impossible they remian seperate but come close enough to prevent one another from developing. I think however one will end up taking over down the line, but its why I doubt development before 50W personally...
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#174 Postby HURAKAN » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:Are they saying that area 1(10%) and area 2(20%) will merge? I'm confused because they don't really look like
they are that close to each other. In fact, I've seen several storms develop in the past that have been that
close to each other before. One usually ends up being quite a bit stronger than the other of course, but nonetheless.

90L and the tropical wave near africa may merge
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#175 Postby Ivanhater » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:31 pm

1009 mb

AL, 90, 2010073018, , BEST, 0, 91N, 320W, 20, 1009, DB,
0 likes   
Michael

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#176 Postby thetruesms » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:31 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:Are they saying that area 1(10%) and area 2(20%) will merge? I'm confused because they don't really look like
No, there are two waves within area 2 that are being discussed.

edit - way too slow :x
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#177 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:33 pm

The eastern wave looks bigger and stronger to me at the moment, I think its not surprising some of the models are struggling to get this going if they are keying in on the western wave.
0 likes   

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

#178 Postby Florida1118 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:58 pm

i like how on TWC the meteorologist was like " Look at the blobs of color. These blobs are bad. They could form into a bigger blob and then the blob..." Not going against TWC but she did say blob a little too much instead of wave.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#179 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:06 pm

FWIW most of the 12z suite really don't do much with this wave, I'm waiting to see what the 12z ECM shows in terms of the upper pattern, clearly the 12z isn't nearly as favourable as the 00z was.
0 likes   

StormClouds63
Category 2
Category 2

#180 Postby StormClouds63 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Florida1118 wrote:i like how on TWC the meteorologist was like " Look at the blobs of color. These blobs are bad. They could form into a bigger blob and then the blob..." Not going against TWC but she did say blob a little too much instead of wave.

TWC tropical updates are too "painful" to watch unless it's Knapp. I have a feeling I know who you're talking about here, but I'll leave it alone.
0 likes   

Return to “2010”