ATL: Ex-Tropical Storm GASTON - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Stratosphere747
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Ex-Tropical Storm GASTON - Discussion

#1621 Postby Stratosphere747 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:13 pm

FWIW

The LGEM has handled Gaston very poorly to this point. I would take what it is currently showing with the ol grain of salt. Going back a few days gives a indication of how bad it has been. Still one of the better intensity models but not so far with Gaston.

0 likes   

ColinDelia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1622 Postby ColinDelia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Bailey1777 wrote:are those intensity models based on showing potential if things are just right or do they represent that things are expected to get just right? hope you get what iam asking.

They represent what is expected.

Let me go over SHIPS because it is the easier to understand. Here is the basic idea. SHIPS is a statistical method where a number of factors are considered.
For every period each factor is either a windspeed addition or subtraction and the numbers (in knots) are added together for all the factors each period. The numbers for each factor come from the historical relationships between those values and whether storms typically strengthened or weakened at those values and to what degree.

So a high ocean temperature will add x knots to the top wind speed depending on the temperature if it is above a certain value; the higher the temp. teh higher the gain in knots. The largest factors are shear and ocean temperature. When there is high shear expected SHIPS subtracts something from the top wind speed in that period depending on what the historical correlation is.

Every few years new correlations for recent storms are computed and new values obtained.

In the next 5 days, SHIPS adds 41 knots to Gaston's top wind speed for the ocean temperatures along its expected path.
17 knots are added for the vertical shear magnitude. 13 knots are added for what a storm would normally gain at this time of year.
11 knots are added for the ocean heat content. 7 knots are added for the vertical shear direction. There are a number of smaller factors
also.

While there are certainly shortcomings the statistical methods have been the most accurate of the models for intensity forecasts with LGEM being the best the past 3 years. DeMaria, one of the creators of SHIPS is the creator of LGEM.

You can get further info from DeMaria et al's papers.
SHIPS
http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/researc ... _SHIPS.pdf
http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/resourc ... eMaria.pdf

LGEM
http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/resourc ... lified.pdf
Last edited by ColinDelia on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Migle
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1623 Postby Migle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:19 pm

I am guessing where going to see Code Orange on this one at 8. It finally has some convection to it, something we haven't seen alot of in Ex-Gaston's life. I still think Bailey is going to be make a donation though :P
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1624 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:23 pm

It's heading directly for the mountains, I don't see how this thing stands a chance, even if it is wrapping up again. Looks like it will be yet another heavy rainmaker for Haiti and the DR, unfortunately.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1625 Postby Steve » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Had a chance to look at the models, and there is very, very little support (= about none at all). Best I could tell with NOGAPS, the remnants hook up with a heat low off of South America and close something off near Central America/Yucatan. Doesn't seem too likely at this point that anything "real" (= not exactly Cat 4) is going to come from the Remnants. But the SW motion that was predicted has been on with XTRP all day as the remains must be going SW or WSW for that to continue to point equatorial. I don't know, I'm not tracking the circulation or whatever it is they're tracking. But I'm still mildly interested.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1626 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:25 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

ColinDelia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1627 Postby ColinDelia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:26 pm

Stratosphere747 wrote:
The LGEM has handled Gaston very poorly to this point. I would take what it is currently showing with the ol grain of salt. Going back a few days gives a indication of how bad it has been. Still one of the better intensity models but not so far with Gaston.

Very true. The model sample for SHIPS includes named tropical cyclones only. So anything before a storm reaches TS status should probably be taken with that grain of salt. The error for pre-depression storms must be HUGE as many of them don't even form.
0 likes   

Bailey1777
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1628 Postby Bailey1777 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:26 pm

thank you colin i love when yyou get infomative answers to questions and let me say i have read many of your post and you bring alot to the storm2k family..
0 likes   

Shuriken
Category 1
Category 1

#1629 Postby Shuriken » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Ivanhater wrote:Bailey, the intensity models are based on the forecasted conditions in the next few days.
Remember, the LGEM is a reliable intensity model and is not one to go bonkers with every storm. Great potential is there.
It either dissipates, or explodes imo.
Exactly...and some of them do both -- Hurricane Iris being an example of that: A healthy-looking TD in the central Atlantic completely pukes into an open wave while crossing the islands (and by "completely" I mean just that; there wasn't the least hint of rotation left, just a few cu along an advancing line)...and a few days later is a 145mph storm pummeling Belize.

Storms in the Caribbean are doing one of two things: (a) dying, (b) exploding.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#1630 Postby KWT » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:30 pm

I'd still be surprised if anything comes from this just yet but I'd imagine in the W.Cairbbean things will be a little more productive for the development of a system and if it can get into the BoC/Gulf then it'll deffo need watching without any doubt at all...

It does look better now but we've been here before in the last few days...
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1631 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:34 pm

KWT wrote:I'd still be surprised if anything comes from this just yet but I'd imagine in the W.Cairbbean things will be a little more productive for the development of a system and if it can get into the BoC/Gulf then it'll deffo need watching without any doubt at all...

It does look better now but we've been here before in the last few days...

yeah its not happening tonight or anything.. but likely more towards central/western carrib
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1632 Postby fci » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:47 pm

ColinDelia wrote:
Stratosphere747 wrote:

Very true. The model sample for SHIPS includes named tropical cyclones only. So anything before a storm reaches TS status should probably be taken with that grain of salt. The error for pre-depression storms must be HUGE as many of them don't even form.

That's a great point. Pre-depression SHIPS seems to take most up to high wind speeds and I remember being told to ignore it by Pro Mets. I understand why now due its inputs being tropical cyclones only. Thanks for the explanation
0 likes   

Bailey1777
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1633 Postby Bailey1777 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:02 pm

i see our nightly cloud top warming is taking place.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#1634 Postby Sanibel » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:09 pm

It could poof from drawing cold air over the mountains of Hispaniola which then allows the shear (or weak conditions rather) to gain the upper hand. In this case it would make the development callers look foolish. But the system is curling up IMO.
0 likes   

Bailey1777
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1635 Postby Bailey1777 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:15 pm

if it is now a wave vs. a closed low wouldn't that help lessen the effects the mountains may have on it?
0 likes   

Bailey1777
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1636 Postby Bailey1777 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:29 pm

seeing something new tonight new cold tops forming.....maybe.....
0 likes   

CalmBeforeStorm
Category 2
Category 2

#1637 Postby CalmBeforeStorm » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:34 pm

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/carb/flash-wv.html

I'm really not sure if Gaston will ever regenerate but have you noticed the significant northern progress he is making? The system seems like it is being influenced by the upper level low ahead of it and has kicked significantly north of west. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it above the eastern tip of Cuba at some point.
0 likes   

Bailey1777
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1638 Postby Bailey1777 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 pm

to elaborate the last several days as night approached t.s. activity would die off but tonight as t.s.'s relaxed a new burst just occured. maybe a sign we'll see. as far as movement still seems pretty much west to me.
0 likes   

expat2carib
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1639 Postby expat2carib » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:02 pm

It's the first year the NHC TWO works with a percentage of development within 48 hours.

It would be great to have a quality test on these percentages.

If they forecast a wave to become a TC within 48 hours and give it 70% and it doesn't become a TC within 48 hours they were 70% wrong and 30 % right.

If they forecast a wave to become a TC within 48 hours and give it 30% and it becomes a TC within this margin they were 70% wrong and 30% right.

Would be nice to have those figures. The NHC gave their TWO'' something quantitative. And quantity can be reality tested.

What's the percentage they were wrong and what's the percentage they were right?

How much they were wrong on X-Gaston?
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1640 Postby Ivanhater » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:02 pm

New burst near the center

0 likes   
Michael

Return to “2010”