ATL: NICOLE - Ex Tropical Storm - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

sunnyday
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL : INVEST 96L - Discussion

#21 Postby sunnyday » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Am I totally wrong in thinking that this invest will not organize into Nicole before reaching S FL?
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#22 Postby HURAKAN » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Potential Nicole could intensify through baroclinic processes before becoming extratropical.
Last edited by HURAKAN on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby KWT » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Yeah thats true Aric conditions are good, I just personally think its got too much to do in too little time, even Wilma took a little while to go from this stage to the monster it became.

Either way rainfall is going to be immense, could easily see a foot of rain in many places over the next 72-96hrs in S.Florida IMO.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Latest ASCAT, about 3 hrs ago:

0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#25 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:57 pm

KWT wrote:Yeah thats true Aric conditions are good, I just personally think its got too much to do in too little time, even Wilma took a little while to go from this stage to the monster it became.

Either way rainfall is going to be immense, could easily see a foot of rain in many places over the next 72-96hrs in S.Florida IMO.

still has 2 days in the carrib.. the moisture will be pumping north starting tomorrow but any organized system at least according the models still has about 48 hours..
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#26 Postby KWT » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:58 pm

HURAKAN wrote:Potential Nicole could intensify through baroclinic processes before becoming extratropical.

Certianly is something to keep an eye on, quite often the margin between a system that gets sheared out through that process and one that bombs is quite tight.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#27 Postby HURAKAN » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Nice image by NASA
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby artist » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:01 pm

new video report from the Fl EOC-
http://www.floridadisaster.org/index.asp
0 likes   

Vortmax1
Category 1
Category 1

#29 Postby Vortmax1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:02 pm

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

It's all looking very frontal/baroclinic in nature to me.
I think the ECM has a grip on this and that's what the 12Z is showing me anyway.
997mb off the SE FL coast sounds about right and good placement.
Most likely more of a storm threat on up the road in the Carolinas and a wet event for South and SE Florida.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#30 Postby HURAKAN » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Up in NRL
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby KWT » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Hurakan, that shows the whole large Gyre very nicely, with the 3 convective masses all in the same very broad rotation.
0 likes   

btangy
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#32 Postby btangy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:05 pm

PREDICT NCAR-GV flight summary today. Mission is wrapping up and we found a bit of surprise...

We found an elongated circulation stretching from the two main convective blobs from 19N, 85W to 18.5N, 80.5W. There is a large region of southwesterlies and westerlies N of Honduras and a very well defined circulation above the boundary layer at 700 mb. There is a very sharp wave or warm front-like axis at 925 mb with strongly veering winds with height along this boundary. Maximum near-surface winds are about 25 knots. This data surprised us as we expected to find a broad circulation, as seen in the models, but it appears something may be quickly developing around the vicinity of these two convective blobs in the NW Caribbean. If the circulation can consolidate some, then Nicole, or "Matthew's daughter" as we're calling it, may be born soon.

We'll be flying this same region tomorrow.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#33 Postby HURAKAN » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:06 pm

:uarrow: Thanks for the info! Seems like everything is going like expected.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby KWT » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:07 pm

btangy, thats very interesting, I tend to think the NHC have been a little too conservative in thier chances over the last 24hrs but at least we are slowly seeing it increase with time.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#35 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:08 pm

btangy wrote:PREDICT NCAR-GV flight summary today. Mission is wrapping up and we found a bit of surprise...

We found an elongated circulation stretching from the two main convective blobs from 19N, 85W to 18.5N, 80.5W. There is a large region of southwesterlies and westerlies N of Honduras and a very well defined circulation above the boundary layer at 700 mb. There is a very sharp wave or warm front-like axis at 925 mb with strongly veering winds with height along this boundary. Maximum near-surface winds are about 25 knots. This data surprised us as we expected to find a broad circulation, as seen in the models, but it appears something may be quickly developing around the vicinity of these two convective blobs in the NW Caribbean. If the circulation can consolidate some, then Nicole, or "Matthew's daughter" as we're calling it, may be born soon.

We'll be flying this same region tomorrow.

yeah thats what myself and other have been seeing from the surface obs and satellite.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

tgenius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby tgenius » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:10 pm

So how soon tomorrow should we expect to see the weather deteriorate into the gloom of rain?
0 likes   

cpdaman
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby cpdaman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:12 pm

btangy is da man.

i wonder what potential exists for this storm to develop into a deep nor'easter for portions of the mid atlantic? There is some of the coolest air of the season over the great lakes by friday....so the interaction may add fuel to the system i would think.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Its beginning to become more apparent on satellite that there is a weak LLC developing between the Isle of youth and the cayman islands. satellite matches quite well with the surface obs from the Caymans
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#39 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Aric, you think that the focus of the invest should be more east?

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby SouthFLTropics » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:17 pm

I don't know guys...to my untrained eye it looks like 84W, 18.5N might be the spot. Let's see if it starts to consolodate there over the next 6-12 hours.

SFT
0 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

Return to “2010”