ATL: TROPICAL DEPRESSION ALEX - DISCUSSION

Moderator: S2k Moderators

RainWind

Re:

#4841 Postby RainWind » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:38 am

HouTXmetro wrote:Can Alex make it intact to the Eastern Pacific?

Wow, I was just going to ask that myself? Seems like he is heading southwest this morning, so I thought he is heading for the Pacific! Wonder if he will make it?

May thanks to all of you for your timely discussions while we watched Alex confound and amaze us over the last week! Until next storm...........
0 likes   

dixiebreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: TROPICAL STORM ALEX - DISCUSSION

#4842 Postby dixiebreeze » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:40 am

I think so, as I just posted in the thread about folks in the path of Alex.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#4843 Postby Sanibel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:00 am

Clouds warming/thinning fast for a trip across the thick of Mexico.
0 likes   

RachelAnna
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4844 Postby RachelAnna » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:01 am

I know someone (sorry, can't remember who!) mentioned along the way that the Euro had another Brownsville/S Texas/N Mexico storm in the next ten days. I heard it said on the weather channel a couple hours ago that there are absolutely no areas of interest in the Atlantic or Gulf right now that Alex is over land. So, did what the Euro was picking up on fizzle out, or is it just not formed yet?
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4845 Postby Evil Jeremy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:19 am

Alex's circulation is holding up well as it travels through Mexico. Should be ripped up by the mountains before the day is over though.
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4846 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:32 am

Even if it somehow survives, conditions aren't that great for Alex to revitalize in the EPAC.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#4847 Postby USTropics » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 am

RachelAnna wrote:I know someone (sorry, can't remember who!) mentioned along the way that the Euro had another Brownsville/S Texas/N Mexico storm in the next ten days. I heard it said on the weather channel a couple hours ago that there are absolutely no areas of interest in the Atlantic or Gulf right now that Alex is over land. So, did what the Euro was picking up on fizzle out, or is it just not formed yet?

It appears the ECMWF has some energy moving from the Pacific across Central America and into the BOC. The earliest you would see some type of development (if at all) would be 6 days from now. Currently only the ECMWF is showing development in this area, and we'll see if the ECMWF continues to show model consistency with a system in the BOC (on a side note, the ECMWF did very well with Alex from long range, it was consistent with a western GOM threat well before any of the other models picked up on it).
0 likes   

HurricaneRobert
Category 3
Category 3

Re:

#4848 Postby HurricaneRobert » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:24 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Even if it somehow survives, conditions aren't that great for Alex to revitalize in the EPAC.

It's trek across Mexico is pretty similar to this.
0 likes   

Wren
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re:

#4849 Postby Wren » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:25 pm

HURAKAN wrote:MONTHLY TROPICAL WEATHER SUMMARY
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
800 AM EDT THU JUL 01 2010

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

HURRICANE ALEX WAS THE ONLY TROPICAL CYCLONE OBSERVED DURING THE
MONTH OF JUNE AND THE FIRST JUNE ATLANTIC BASIN HURRICANE SINCE
1995. IT WAS ALSO THE FIRST CATEGORY TWO JUNE HURRICANE SINCE 1966.
ON AVERAGE...A TROPICAL STORM OCCURS IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN IN JUNE
EVERY OTHER YEAR...AND A HURRICANE ABOUT ONCE EVERY FIVE YEARS. ALEX
MADE LANDFALL ALONG THE NORTHEAST MEXICAN COAST IN THE MUNICIPALITY
OF SOTO LA MARINA LATE ON 30 JUNE AS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON
THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE.

REPORTS ON INDIVIDUAL CYCLONES...WHEN COMPLETED...ARE AT THE WEB
SITE OF THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER...USE LOWER-CASE
LETTERS...HTTP://WWW.NHC.NOAA.GOV/2010ATLAN.SHTML

SUMMARY TABLE

NAME DATES MAX WIND (MPH)
----------------------------------------------------
H ALEX 25 JUN- 105

$$
FORECASTER BLAKE

Thanks for that report HURAKAN. I don't post often at all, usually am just one of many loyal lurkers. I know specifics about Soto La Marina on the Rio Tigre as I flew down there years ago for a fishing trip with my husband and family members. We landed right on the beach. This was back in the 70s. We stayed in a grass hut on the opposite side of the river from Soto La Marina. Soto was just a small fishing village, and we had to go there by boat when we left because the plane didn't have enough beach for a runway with the extra weight of the fish we'd caught, and there was a private ranch airfield we needed to take off from.

Back then, the houses in Soto were small wooden shacks with dirt floor interiors. In the mornings we would see the men of Soto go out to fish a reef, just about a mile offshore. Some of the men had small boats 14-16 ft. they leased or bought from sales of the fish they caught,and others actually went out in dugouts, homemade canoes carved from a single log. This was poverty like I'd never seen before. Last night as I watched Alex go in, I worried about the people of Soto because I knew the eye went in close to that location. I remember being told all those years ago there was one road in and out of Soto La Marina, and it had great ruts, and only the fish trucks could traverse it. I hope things have improved down there, and the residents were able to get out.

My kudos to our pro mets and excellent amateurs. I've learned much from reading at S2K.
0 likes   

fogbreath
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re:

#4850 Postby fogbreath » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:27 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Even if it somehow survives, conditions aren't that great for Alex to revitalize in the EPAC.

Does anyone know if a storm (or remnants thereof) entering Mexico that far north has done such a thing?
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#4851 Postby HouTXmetro » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Heavy training rain bands occuring in the Houston Metro area...starting to get concerned about flooding.
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#4852 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

HouTXmetro wrote:Heavy training rain bands occuring in the Houston Metro area...starting to get concerned about flooding.

Agreed, really coming down in the Gulgate area....
0 likes   

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#4853 Postby hurricaneCW » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm sad that Alex is gone, well its not completely gone, in fact it still has a nice circulation in central Mexico but should dissipate before crossing over into the Pacific. We may have to wait weeks for Bonnie.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4854 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Latest
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#4855 Postby HouTXmetro » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Mid to upper TX Gulf Coast is getting walloped with Heavy Triopical Down pours associated with Alex and a stalled frontal boundary.
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

RachelAnna
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#4856 Postby RachelAnna » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:23 pm

HouTXmetro wrote:Heavy training rain bands occuring in the Houston Metro area...starting to get concerned about flooding.

Still very little rain in the Cypress area.... Hopefully more this afternoon as we're so dry!
0 likes   

RachelAnna
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4857 Postby RachelAnna » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:25 pm

USTropics wrote:
RachelAnna wrote:I know someone (sorry, can't remember who!) mentioned along the way that the Euro had another Brownsville/S Texas/N Mexico storm in the next ten days. I heard it said on the weather channel a couple hours ago that there are absolutely no areas of interest in the Atlantic or Gulf right now that Alex is over land. So, did what the Euro was picking up on fizzle out, or is it just not formed yet?

It appears the ECMWF has some energy moving from the Pacific across Central America and into the BOC. The earliest you would see some type of development (if at all) would be 6 days from now. Currently only the ECMWF is showing development in this area, and we'll see if the ECMWF continues to show model consistency with a system in the BOC (on a side note, the ECMWF did very well with Alex from long range, it was consistent with a western GOM threat well before any of the other models picked up on it).

Great, thanks! It'll be interesting to watch! Anyone have any guesses as to when we'll see another system in the Atlantic? Would be a total guess of course, but just curious as to what ya'll are thinking! :)
0 likes   

canes101
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4858 Postby canes101 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:44 pm

anyone have the new IR image of it now?
0 likes   
2010 Archive: HURRICANE ALEX, TD TWO, TS BONNIE, TS COLIN, TD FIVE, HURRICANE DANIELLE, HURRICANE EARL, TS FIONA, TS GASTON, TS HERMINE, HURRICANE IGOR, HURRICANE JULIA, HURRICANE KARL, HURRICANE LISA, TS MATTHEW, TS NICOLE, HURRICANE OTTO, HURRICANE PAULA (Active)

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#4859 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 pm

canes101 wrote:anyone have the new IR image of it now?

Latest
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4860 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Still looks to have a solid circulation halfway across.
0 likes   

Return to “2010”