ATL: INVEST 90L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: INVEST 90L - Discussion

#101 Postby tolakram » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:37 am

live loop: http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/ge ... umframes=5

Very weak LLC if any in my opinion. What's there looks elongated and not very robust.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby 'CaneFreak » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:54 am

tolakram wrote:live loop: http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/ge ... umframes=5

Very weak LLC if any in my opinion. What's there looks elongated and not very robust.

Actually, if you look very closely in this latest visible loop, you should be able to see that the low level circulation has actually just gotten pulled SW under the deep convection. Look very closely. This is probably a TD right now.

Edit: Look on the far northeastern corner of the deepest convection. It is just now starting to get pulled into that convection. It's not quite yet under the deepest convection. My apologies.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... imated.gif
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#103 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am

Moist mid-level air is starting to fill that dry slot to the north.

LIs are borderline unstable.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... -long.html

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/SAT_ ... nimwv.html
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#104 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 am

Very high rain rate in the cell about 50 min ago

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/htdocs_dyn_a ... W.94pc.jpg
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 am

'CaneFreak wrote:
tolakram wrote:live loop: http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/ge ... umframes=5

Actually, if you look very closely in this latest visible loop, you should be able to see that the low level circulation has actually just gotten pulled SW under the deep convection. Look very closely. This is probably a TD right now.

Edit: Look on the far northeastern corner of the deepest convection. It is just now starting to get pulled into that convection. It's not quite yet under the deepest convection. My apologies.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... imated.gif

yeah its quite clear that its slowly becoming better organized. it is right on the edge of low shear. about 50 to 100 wsw to sw of where it is and shear wont be much of problem would likely set up a good channel on the east side.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby otowntiger » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:24 am

GCANE wrote:Very high rain rate in the cell about 50 min ago

Do you think this one has a chance to spin up into something before the front swipes it out of the gulf my way? I see a lot of dry air or shear forcing it southward right now. Is the supposed COC moving with that or is it just getting sheared apart? I guess either way it could be a decent rainmaker for some portions of the peninsula.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#107 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 am

otowntiger wrote:
GCANE wrote:Very high rain rate in the cell about 50 min ago

Do you think this one has a chance to spin up into something before the front swipes it out of the gulf my way? I see a lot of dry air or shear forcing it southward right now. Is the supposed COC moving with that or is it just getting sheared apart? I guess either way it could be a decent rainmaker for some portions of the peninsula.

How this plays out this afternoon will tell a lot.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#108 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 am

The latest news is that recon will fly this afternoon. Follow the recon thread for the data as it comes.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

#109 Postby TexWx » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 am

That front better get a move on....
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby psyclone » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:52 am

I am surprised they decided to fly recon. It'll be interesting to see what they find. if this thing organizes and advisories are initiated, coastal warnings would likely be required right away. i still don't think this amounts to much.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

jinx
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#111 Postby jinx » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:53 am

If I understand the plan correctly, the reconnaissance flight is scheduled for tomorrow.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#112 Postby wxman57 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:19 am

It doesn't appear to qualify for TD status now. I didn't see the center tucking under the convection in that satellite loop, by the way. It did look like the LLC may have weakened/opened up a bit on that loop, though. Pressures are actually 2mb higher in the area since yesterday. I think we have a high probability of a weak/sheared TD/TS in the NE Gulf tomorrow/Saturday tracking across the FL Peninsula on Sunday as it merges with the front. Should be relatively fast-moving across Florida, meaning less of a rain threat and no wind threat.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:33 am

wxman57 wrote:It doesn't appear to qualify for TD status now. I didn't see the center tucking under the convection in that satellite loop, by the way. It did look like the LLC may have weakened/opened up a bit on that loop, though. Pressures are actually 2mb higher in the area since yesterday. I think we have a high probability of a weak/sheared TD/TS in the NE Gulf tomorrow/Saturday tracking across the FL Peninsula on Sunday as it merges with the front. Should be relatively fast-moving across Florida, meaning less of a rain threat and no wind threat.

Its pretty apparent that the circ is closed using the 1km loop. the center has not built or tucked under the convection but shear should relax some today and tomorrow and we should see it be a TD once the LLC becomes a little more symmetric.

http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconus.html
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby Janie2006 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:39 am

It's got roughly 36-48 hours before that front really starts making its presence felt. FROPA looks to be Saturday afternoon or early evening across the northern Gulf Coast.
0 likes   

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby 'CaneFreak » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:42 am

I've seen much worse invests get upgraded to TD, trust me. It has not opened up. In fact, it looks pretty good and is still heading ssw towards the convection. I think this thing heads east with the trough and then the trough lifts out very quickly on the east coast and leaves this thing behind next week off the east coast of FL.

Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57 wrote:It doesn't appear to qualify for TD status now. I didn't see the center tucking under the convection in that satellite loop, by the way. It did look like the LLC may have weakened/opened up a bit on that loop, though. Pressures are actually 2mb higher in the area since yesterday. I think we have a high probability of a weak/sheared TD/TS in the NE Gulf tomorrow/Saturday tracking across the FL Peninsula on Sunday as it merges with the front. Should be relatively fast-moving across Florida, meaning less of a rain threat and no wind threat.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 am

'CaneFreak wrote:I've seen much worse invests get upgraded to TD, trust me. It has not opened up. In fact, it looks pretty good and is still heading ssw towards the convection. I think this thing heads east with the trough and then the trough lifts out very quickly on the east coast and leaves this thing behind next week off the east coast of FL.

Personal Forecast Disclaimer:

Yeah its quite possible since it will likely be fairly shallow that the trough will pull it east some to maybe across florida then leave it behind only a couple models actually take it out to sea.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#117 Postby wxman57 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 am

Don't look for recon to provide much more information than we're already receiving from the numerous surface obs in the northern Gulf. Here's a GARP plot of surface obs/satellite. I identified the LLC with the red crosshairs (28.2N/88.5W). The nearest significant convection is about 100 miles to the SW. Surface winds are peaking out at 25 kts. Lacking any persistent (or any at all) convection near the center, it would not qualify for upgrade to a TD by the NHC's own standards.

Shear may drop off briefly on Saturday morning just before the increasing westerly winds aloft ahead of the cold front reach the disturbance. That would be its best window of opportunity to get convection over the center and perhaps become "Nadine" before it's taken apart by increasing shear.

0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:58 am

wxman57 wrote:Don't look for recon to provide much more information than we're already receiving from the numerous surface obs in the northern Gulf. Here's a GARP plot of surface obs/satellite. I identified the LLC with the red crosshairs (28.2N/88.5W). The nearest significant convection is about 100 miles to the SW. Surface winds are peaking out at 25 kts. Lacking any persistent (or any at all) convection near the center, it would not qualify for upgrade to a TD by the NHC's own standards.

Shear may drop off briefly on Saturday morning just before the increasing westerly winds aloft ahead of the cold front reach the disturbance. That would be its best window of opportunity to get convection over the center and perhaps become "Nadine" before it's taken apart by increasing shear.

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cgh57/90La.gif[/ig]

This buoy recently just reported winds of 42kts. appears to be stronger than it looks. fairly high background pressures could be the reason for it.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42360
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#119 Postby wxman57 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Don't look for recon to provide much more information than we're already receiving from the numerous surface obs in the northern Gulf. Here's a GARP plot of surface obs/satellite. I identified the LLC with the red crosshairs (28.2N/88.5W). The nearest significant convection is about 100 miles to the SW. Surface winds are peaking out at 25 kts. Lacking any persistent (or any at all) convection near the center, it would not qualify for upgrade to a TD by the NHC's own standards.

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cgh57/90La.gif[/ig]

This buoy recently just reported winds of 42kts. appears to be stronger than it looks. fairly high background pressures could be the reason for it.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42360

That's about 135nm SW of the LLC in that heavier convection. It's not a NOAA buoy, it's a rig owned by Petrobras. Winds were steady near 15 kts then jumped to 42.7 kts in a squall. Doesn't look representative of winds in the area.
0 likes   

micktooth
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#120 Postby micktooth » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Good timing for the first big front! Here in Denver the high today will be 90 then the front comes through this evening, low tonight 49, and high tomorrow maybe only 70! This should definitely push anything that might develop out of the Gulf. :cold:

Just my opinion, not an official forecast, check with NHC for the real deal.
0 likes   

Return to “2012”