SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...29.5N 83.1W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM N OF CEDAR KEY FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35 MPH...55 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...ENE OR 70 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...997 MB...29.44 INCHES
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

#4382 Postby jaxfladude » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Worst flooding I've ever *personally experienced* in my 29 years of living in Jacksonville, Fl... :double:

Can not wait for the rains to end.....flooding is too close for comfort....
0 likes   
Stay safe y'all

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ATL: DEBBY - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#4383 Postby ozonepete » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Stay safe all of you guys. Unfortunately there's a lot more rain to come tonight.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#4384 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Stay safe in Jacksonville. This is the second tropical cyclone this year to impact Jacksonville and Florida.
Hopefully that pattern changes before August/September...
It looks like high pressure building in from the NW is pushing Debby's circulation towards
the southeast. Not that there is any significant weather near the center, the worst
flooding is to the East.

Theoretically, if the high were strong enough, it could push it back down into the gulf
and shoot it west to Texas. I know that is a wild scenario but you never know
with a system like this. I'm not predicting anything like that but it would not
surprise me.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/flash-avn.html
0 likes   

crimi481
Category 2
Category 2

Re:

#4385 Postby crimi481 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:17 pm

psyclone wrote:the naked swirl contains no significant wx. it's just an interesting feature. I'm more intersted in the actual weather which is focused on northeast florida and hopefully soon to be offshore. that radar looks bad around jax.

Actually - the fact that the center going S.E. makes big difference -as the intense rain to its east is sinking sout east with center - creating more flooding fo larger area of State
I can't believe Brian Norcross just now said the center moving E.N.E? Its not

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... -long.html
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#4386 Postby tropicwatch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Actually - the fact that the center going S.E. makes big difference -as the intense rain to its east is sinking sout east with center - creating more flooding fo larger area of State

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... -long.html[/quote]

I was kind of surprised at that also. Maybe they want to see if that trend continues before giving an official change of course. I am also starting wonder if the High building in is separating Debby from the front.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4387 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Amazing that Debby seems to be running like a non-tropical system with land-based convection...
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#4388 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:Stay safe in Jacksonville. This is the second tropical cyclone this year to impact Jacksonville and Florida.
Hopefully that pattern changes before August/September...
It looks like high pressure building in from the NW is pushing Debby's circulation towards
the southeast. Not that there is any significant weather near the center, the worst
flooding is to the East.

Theoretically, if the high were strong enough, it could push it back down into the gulf
and shoot it west to Texas. I know that is a wild scenario but you never know
with a system like this. I'm not predicting anything like that but it would not
surprise me.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/flash-avn.html

I can tell you for certain I have lived here all of my life and I can't ever recall Jacksonville being seriously impacted by two tropical cyclones within 30 days. It has really been amazing seeing this unfold this past month. Yeah, this area has really taken a beating from first Beryl's landfall here and now Debby coming at us from the GOM. Incredible to think that just a month ago before all of this happened we were in the midst of an extreme drought in this area. Now it seems like a distant memory now.

This much I can say for sure. I have now measured more rain with this event than I accumulated when TS Fay affected this area in 2008. I measured a little over 14 inches total during that event. I have already measured over 16 inches of rain to this point and still raining. Thankfully, the heavy torrential downpours have shifted south-southeast of Jax area currently.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4389 Postby ozonepete » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:54 pm

panamatropicwatch wrote:Actually - the fact that the center going S.E. makes big difference -as the intense rain to its east is sinking sout east with center - creating more flooding fo larger area of State

I was kind of surprised at that also. Maybe they want to see if that trend continues before giving an official change of course. I am also starting wonder if the High building in is separating Debby from the front.[/quote]

It is quite definitely not moving southeast at all. It is moving steadily ENE. You are watching small eddies rotating within the general center, and they can seriously mislead you as to where the center is, or where it is going, whether you look on radar or satellite. A lot of us here have spent many, many seasons looking at them trying to get a better feel for how to compensate for you eyes' ability to get fooled by that. It takes a lot of practice, believe me! And I'm not saying I'm good at it, but I can tell with Debby that it is still moving ENE. Aric is one of the best on here; I'd actually say no one is better than him at it. But it's not moving SE at all. :wink:
0 likes   

crimi481
Category 2
Category 2

#4390 Postby crimi481 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:58 pm

ozonepete wrote:
panamatropicwatch wrote:Actually - the fact that the center going S.E. makes big difference -as the intense rain to its east is sinking sout east with center - creating more flooding fo larger area of State

I was kind of surprised at that also. Maybe they want to see if that trend continues before giving an official change of course. I am also starting wonder if the High building in is separating Debby from the front.

It is quite definitely not moving southeast at all. It is moving steadily ENE. You are watching small eddies rotating within the general center, and they can seriously mislead you as to where the center is, or where it is going, whether you look on radar or satellite. A lot of us here have spent many, many seasons looking at them trying to get a better feel for how to compensate for you eyes' ability to get fooled by that. It takes a lot of practice, believe me! And I'm not saying I'm good at it, but I can tell with Debby that it is still moving ENE. Aric is one of the best on here; I'd actually say no one is better than him at it. But it's not moving SE at all. :wink:[/quote]

To be seen. Norcross just did comment on it. Thinks the high is building from top -pushing south,
He is not sure yet - but glad he noticed the southward drift of center. This fact can help determine where Deb ends up next -I believe
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4391 Postby ozonepete » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:03 pm

northjaxpro wrote:
I can tell you for certain I have lived here all of my life and I can't ever recall Jacksonville being seriously impacted by two tropical cyclones within 30 days. It has really been amazing seeing this unfold this past month. Yeah, this area has really taken a beating from first Beryl's landfall here and now Debby coming at us from the GOM. Incredible to think that just a month ago before all of this happened we were in the midst of an extreme drought in this area. Now it seems like a distant memory now.

This much I can say for sure. I have now measured more rain with this event than I accumulated when TS Fay affected this area in 2008. I measured a little over 14 inches total during that event. I have already measured over 16 inches of rain to this point and still raining. Thankfully, the heavy torrential downpours have shifted south-southeast of Jax area currently.

This is good news that the heaviest rain is letting up over you. Looks like you might have seen the worst. Hang in there!
0 likes   

sponger
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4392 Postby sponger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Just getting hammered here in N St Johns County. Water everywhere and no where to go!
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4393 Postby StormingB81 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Orlando area got lucky its been all around but here well in my part atleast
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#4394 Postby ronjon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:18 pm

This is interesting - Debbie drifting S-SE to a position just off my back patio here in western Hernando County. She definitely is getting pushed south - maybe because its attached to the front to the east and the high to the NW is pushing it south. Looks like speed convergence from the southerly flow off the east side of the low is hitting the front and creating the heavy rain over Ocala-Gainesville now.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=TBW&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4395 Postby ozonepete » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 pm

ronjon wrote:This is interesting - Debbie drifting S-SE to a position just off my back patio here in western Hernando County. She definitely is getting pushed south - maybe because its attached to the front to the east and the high to the NW is pushing it south. Looks like speed convergence from the southerly flow off the east side of the low is hitting the front and creating the heavy rain over Ocala-Gainesville now.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=TBW&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

We'll see if you're right about this new motion on the 11PM advisory.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#4396 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:27 pm

It would make sense that a strong ridge to the NW would force TD Debby southward.
Now I am curious to see if it starts to go SSW or even SW with time...
This TD is 2 counties north of me literally. It is breezy outside which makes
it feel very pleasant.
Last edited by Tampa Bay Hurricane on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4397 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Jax Mayor Alvin Brown on TWC confirmed over 100 roads have been closed due to serious flooding across the city.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#4398 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Jacksonville has gone many many years without severe impacts from a tropical cyclone or a direct
hit...but all that changed with Beryl and now Debby is setting flooding records. This is unreal.
It's almost like mother nature decided "Gosh it's really dry in NE Florida so l'm going to give
them a very active tropical season to take the drought away".
Last edited by Tampa Bay Hurricane on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4399 Postby psyclone » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:30 pm

a look at the radar seems to validate the SE movement theory.
0 likes   

Terry
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#4400 Postby Terry » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:Jacksonville has gone many many years without severe impacts from a tropical cyclone or a direct
hit...but all that changed with Beryl and now Debby is setting flooding records. This is unreal.
It's almost like mother nature decided "Gosh it's really dry in NE Florida so l'm going to give
them a very active tropical season".

Yes and this is what creates "average" rainfall, etc. Kind of stupid.
0 likes   

Return to “2012”