ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#81 Postby ROCK » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:52 pm

the greatest vort is the off the coast of Honduras....been watching it all day. Should be close to Belize by tomorrow evening on its way to the BOC.....

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/w ... oom=&time=
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby tropicwatch » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:54 pm

ozonepete wrote:
panamatropicwatch wrote:The upper level winds are definitely looking better.

Now if the winds in the upper levels come down a bit, I think we will see some more convection firing over night.

Those aren't upper level winds, ok? that's wind shear on that chart. Wind shear is calculated as the difference in wind speed from the lower layer (925 mb to 700 mb) and the upper layer (300 mb to 150 mb). But your idea is correct - wind shear to the west and northwest of this system has to come down or it won't be able to develop. :)

Posted wrong image, have corrected.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#83 Postby wxman57 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Good discussion by Levi Cowan this evening. He makes some good points about initialization of the GFS/Canadian with respect to the position of the vortex. A track into Mexico is certainly possible.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/blog/201 ... in-hazard/
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#84 Postby ozonepete » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:04 pm

ROCK wrote:the greatest vort is the off the coast of Honduras....been watching it all day. Should be close to Belize by tomorrow evening on its way to the BOC.....

But the models dissolve that area of vorticity and develop the one north of it. And anyway, it's still too early. We have to at least see the 00Z runs when the models will have some better initialization.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#85 Postby Alyono » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:07 pm

I'd lean toward the northern vorticity due to the SW shear that is expected
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby ROCK » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:09 pm

ozonepete wrote:
ROCK wrote:the greatest vort is the off the coast of Honduras....been watching it all day. Should be close to Belize by tomorrow evening on its way to the BOC.....

But the models dissolve that area of vorticity and develop the one north of it. And anyway, it's still too early. We have to at least see the 00Z runs when the models will have some better initialization.

well the BAMMS ran for 0Z initilized the correct vort and basically follows the path of the EURO/UKMET/NAM...
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#87 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:13 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby gatorcane » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 pm

wxman57 wrote:Good discussion by Levi Cowan this evening. He makes some good points about initialization of the GFS/Canadian with respect to the position of the vortex. A track into Mexico is certainly possible.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/blog/201 ... in-hazard/

Good video as usual. His argument about a low forming further south along the wave axis because of how the GFS model pressure forecasts for the northern part of the wave around Jamaica have not been verifying so far (off by a few millobars) is interesting...
Last edited by gatorcane on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby NDG » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:18 pm

ROCK wrote:
ozonepete wrote:

well the BAMMS ran for 0Z initilized the correct vort and basically follows the path of the EURO/UKMET/NAM...

According to this it was started in between two H85 vorticities. In another words, there is no H85 vorticity where the 0z models were started. I get the feeling that as time goes they will be moved to the vorticity WSW of Jamaica tracking WNW towards the Cayman Islands, exactly as the GFS shows.

0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#90 Postby ozonepete » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:21 pm

ROCK wrote:
ozonepete wrote:

Well of course we first have to throw the NAM out. I'm not sure why anyone would ever use it based on its record. I also watched Levi's forecast video just now and the one thing that bothered me was that based on his own logic I would have made it 50/50 BOC or central GOM coast, not biased towards Mexico as he chose. He didn't give good enough reasons for his bias, imho. Anyway, I still think the main point is that it's too early to say - we just have to wait for the 00Z runs and even then there very well will still be model disagreement.
Btw, the stretching of the system as it gets into the GOM was very smart of him to point out. That has been clearly indicated by some of the models, especially this morning's GFS, but no one has discussed it. I'm just a little surprised that he went into that aspect without mentioning that this morning's 12Z GFS run indicated that very clearly. Since the 18Z run of the GFS has dropped that scenario (which he didn't mention), I am extra curious what the 00Z run of the GFS and ECMWF say.
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#91 Postby ozonepete » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Oh, and in full disclosure, I am a big fan of Levi. He's incredibly smart, and incredibly knowledgeable for his age. His only drawback is that he needs more experience, but he is the future of hurricane forecasting and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is director of the NHC one day.
Last edited by ozonepete on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#92 Postby Dean4Storms » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 pm

Did you see the ECM Ensembles from 12z Ozonepete? They also split the energy this run, equally toward the northern Gulf and toward Mexico. Levi points it out a bit talking about the trough catching some of the energy.

I'm a bit leery of leaning with the ECM with its record this year of missing Cyclogenesis. It's only real model friend with the BOC is the UKMET and I don't even pay attention to the NAM in this scenario.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby Gustywind » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 pm

ozonepete wrote:Oh, and in full disclosure, I am a big fan of Levi. He's incredibly smart, and incredibly knowledgeable for his age. His only drawback is he needs more experience, but he is the future of hurricane forecasting and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is director of the NHC one day.

:) very deep analysis from Levi. Hey, let's hope that Levi read that, he should be very happy about your nice remarks :D Levi are you there? :P
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#94 Postby ozonepete » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Dean4Storms wrote:Did you see the ECM Ensembles from 12z Ozonepete? They also split the energy this run, equally toward the northern Gulf and toward Mexico. Levi points it out a bit talking about the trough catching some of the energy.

I'm a bit leery of leaning with the ECM with its record this year of missing Cyclogenesis. It's only real model friend with the BOC is the UKMET and I don't even pay attention to the NAM in this scenario.

Yeah I did, Dean. As I said, I was just a little surprised that he didn't mention that the GFS saw this as well. I also feel that the ECMWF is on a little thinner ground this season given its record so far and the fact that the GFS is doing better so far. After all the GFS had upgrades that seem to have improved it and the ECMWF hasn't had any.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#95 Postby Sanibel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Dean4Storms wrote:I'm scratching my head, this looks like it is organizing fairly quickly when you think of what things looked like just this morning.

It has the appearance of something that (possibly) exceeds expectation. See if it snaps together quickly tomorrow. See if the Pacific feeder-bands get deep.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#96 Postby Dean4Storms » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 pm

That convection west of Jamaica is taking off tonight and appears to be under an Anticyclone, I see no shear there. That alone is likely to lower surfaces pressure there. I'm betting with the NAVGEM and GFS this go around.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... -long.html
0 likes   
My opinion and statements DO NOT represent the opinion of the EMA, NHC, NWS, or any other professional agency, organization, or group. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#97 Postby Javlin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Dean4Storms wrote:That convection west of Jamaica is taking off tonight and appears to be under an Anticyclone, I see no shearing there. That alone is likely to lower surfaces pressure there. I'm betting with the NAVGEM and GFS this go around.

I am noticing that also and began wondering with the lack of an LLC it would seem to me atleast that the first area to develop one become the dominate feature.Now having said that would not the area furthest from a major landmass have the better odds?
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby ROCK » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:56 pm

looks totally organized tonight. :lol: ...that anticyclone is sitting right on top of the MLC and likely moving with it

Last edited by ROCK on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby Sanibel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:56 pm

If that's the center it's going in low into Belize and should have to organize all over after Yucatan. (If it tracks west like it's doing)
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#100 Postby Dean4Storms » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Javlin wrote:
Dean4Storms wrote:That convection west of Jamaica is taking off tonight and appears to be under an Anticyclone, I see no shearing there. That alone is likely to lower surfaces pressure there. I'm betting with the NAVGEM and GFS this go around.

I am noticing that also and began wondering with the lack of an LLC it would seem to me atleast that the first area to develop one become the dominate feature.Now having said that would not the area furthest from a major landmass have the better odds?

It helps for sure. But the biggest factor here is convergence at the surface and divergence aloft with little or no shear with convection deepening there.
0 likes   

Return to “2013”