ATL: ERIKA - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: INVEST 90L - ERIKA Remnants - Discussion

#3261 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:46 am

There seems to be a lot of people getting angry over Erikas' bust on social media. Lots of people bashing mets. I wonder when these same people are going to understand that meteorology is more complicated than it seems.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#3262 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:52 am

allot here in miami saying cry wolf media hype it too much their say alot people saying their rush store because media hype i think alot wont get ready next time :roll:
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#3263 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:39 am

So about 170 pages on this puny storm missing US, and only 9 pages on a historic hurricane on the Cape Verde islands? :roll:
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#3264 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:42 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:So about 170 pages on this puny storm missing US, and only 9 pages on a historic hurricane on the Cape Verde islands? :roll:

To be fair with Erika there was a lot of guessing and switching between the models every few hours each time something changed whereas Fred is pretty straight-forward as far as what it's going to do, and those guess and intensity alternating posts probably made up half of them.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re:

#3265 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:05 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:So about 170 pages on this puny storm missing US, and only 9 pages on a historic hurricane on the Cape Verde islands? :roll:

Don't do this please. There are perfectly good reasons why this thread is more populated, we've explained this before, and I don't think anyone appreciated the eye roll. There is a big difference between weather enthusiasts and people visiting a thread seeking information about a storm headed their way.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: ERIKA Remnants - Discussion

#3266 Postby ronjon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:43 am

Starting to look a little interesting in the SE GOM this morning.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0Z&rid=byx&loop=yes
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3267 Postby Frank P » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 am

ronjon wrote:Starting to look a little interesting in the SE GOM this morning.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0Z&rid=byx&loop=yes

Yep shows up nice ronjon, definite rotation on radar loops, and building convection showing up on sat pixs... looks to be moving north... most interesting...
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3268 Postby Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 am

Hurricane Alexis wrote:There seems to be a lot of people getting angry over Erikas' bust on social media. Lots of people bashing mets. I wonder when these same people are going to understand that meteorology is more complicated than it seems.

Babies. I usually avoid personal social media because weather, history, politics or whatever can't usually be summed up in a sentence and stand alone. However, since that's all anyone has time for anymore, bumper sticker ranting and outrage can sometimes be the rule. Tweet, retweet; post, like or share; etc. Not meaning to sound elitist here, but many people are ignorant. Lots of people learned how to turn on computers in the past 15 years. Therefore, there are a lot of more ignorant people online. JMO. Let them whine about the bust. They'll be the first ones whining about the next hit blaming someone else for their own lack of preparation.
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#3269 Postby tropicwatch » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:48 am

I have a tropicwatch facebook page and everyone has been very cordial and curious. So far no rants or raves but every once in awhile I get a goofball posting. They are easy to spot and are blocked pretty quickly.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#3270 Postby ronjon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:06 am

0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#3271 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:13 am

Broad as that is, its the first time in days that it's been closed. Nice if it would pull some rain north as the trough preceding it was a bit disappointing.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3272 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:47 am

12Z GFS takes Erika's remants NE out of the Eastern Gulf then ENE off the SE coast looping back a vorticity placing it off the SE US Coast at 144 hours heading west, eventually the low makes landfall near GA at 210 hours.

210 hours:
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#3273 Postby Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:12 pm

gatorcane wrote:12Z GFS takes Erika's remants NE out of the Eastern Gulf then ENE off the SE coast looping back a vorticity placing it off the SE US Coast at 144 hours heading west, eventually the low makes landfall near GA at 210 hours.

210 hours:

That's interesting. It's at 850mb too as the 500 appears to go out ENE and sort of dissipates. At 850mb, it rings around a smaller SW Atlantic High and comes back to the GA/SC coast and gets pushed back SW across the SE US and seems to end up around Pensacola before dissipating completely or else moving out ahead of a new trough and ending up in North Alabama by the end of the run. You can follow the vortex, so it would still likely be Erika if this was to verify and get strong enough to be classified anything with a name. FWIW I ran the 850mb over at the NCEP site (NAMER; GFS; 12z)

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance ... roup=Model Guidance&model=gfs&area=namer&ps=
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#3274 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:20 pm

looks like Erika is trying to make a last minute come back this morning lol
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#3275 Postby Sanibel » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:20 pm

Appears to be a twist out there but I don't know if it's Erika related. 2015 isn't developing Gulf systems from lingering convection so far.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3276 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:23 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#3277 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:32 pm

i see area south cuba too look left over of ERIKA too http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/post-goes
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#3278 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:39 pm

its for sure the remnants and some clear broad turning. dont think its going to do anything at least not becoming a td .. but it could become a little more organized and enhance the rain even more over florida. Storm motion on from key west radar definitely showing rotation.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#3279 Postby robbielyn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:20 pm

the air is full of moisture feels like a fine mist. but the clouds look like regular clouds versus td or ts clouds. You are probably right Aric. Just a broad low.
0 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#3280 Postby chaser1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:35 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:its for sure the remnants and some clear broad turning. dont think its going to do anything at least not baring a td .. but it could become a little more organized and enhance the rain even more over florida. Storm motion on from key west radar definitely showing rotation.

I'm seeing that too Aric.

Seems to me that one could make a case for a vortex at some level approx. around 26N & 83W, though it itself appears to now be on the southern periphery of a broader low to the north, presently west of the Tampa area. Upper level winds appear a little less strong than yesterday and perhaps are becoming a bit more difluent over east/central Florida.

I don't question that this area includes vorticity from that which wad Erika, but given the slim 24-48 hour window that this area may have to deepen while slowly moving to the north, I doubt that NHC would continue to identify this as Erika, given the contributing genesis that might be attributed to the trough itself. Would be interesting to see how that would play out but I'd guess 48-72 hours would be needed for that to happen.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2015”