ATL: JULIA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL; INVEST 93L - Discussion

#121 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:55 am

^Thks. Shear & its tendency clearly look favorable. The mid level dry air and SAL maps don't appear unfavorable for 93L. Let's see what the next 24 hours bring.
Last edited by LarryWx on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#122 Postby gatorcane » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:58 am

12Z GFS running does show the upper-low filling in and being replaced by an upper-high so upper-level winds do look favorable for development as the system heads towards the Bahamas. The question is whether this is enough of a low-level vorticity and convection for something to spin up.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:14 am

I am willing to see if 93L may be able to get better organized by Monday when it approaches the Bahamas. The trough axis may fill by then and allow ridging to build into the region. We will see
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 am

My thinking is that if 1 out of the 3 invests aren't able to develop during peak season, then there's no reason to think we will get any development in October when shear is typically even higher due to the increase in frontal activity and ULLs.
2 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:33 am

ConvergenceZone wrote:My thinking is that if 1 out of the 3 invests aren't able to develop during peak season, then there's no reason to think we will get any development in October when shear is typically even higher due to the increase in frontal activity and ULLs.

Not every invest is going to automatically form just because it is peak season. This is a near normal season and even getting 1 or 2 named storms out of these is average.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:04 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:My thinking is that if 1 out of the 3 invests aren't able to develop during peak season, then there's no reason to think we will get any development in October when shear is typically even higher due to the increase in frontal activity and ULLs.

Not every invest is going to automatically form just because it is peak season. This is a near normal season and even getting 1 or 2 named storms out of these is average.

True, but if there's THIS much shear in the Atlantic and Gulf during peak season, I can't even imagine how much there will be in October, as all the Fronts begin CB to sweep across the US and into the Atlantic. So the conditions you are seeing for tropical development right now are probably as good as they are going to get
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:11 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:
AxaltaRacing24 wrote:

True, but if there's THIS much shear in the Atlantic and Gulf during peak season, I can't even imagine how much there will be in October, as all the Fronts begin CB to sweep across the US and into the Atlantic. So the conditions you are seeing for tropical development right now are probably as good as they are going to get

Keep in mind that many of the Oct+ geneses are way down in the SW Caribbean, which is far enough south to often be shielded from strong shear.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby gatorcane » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:16 pm

Seems like convection is building closer to the low-level vort and shear does not seem to be as bad as it was yesterday. Also is that some inflow into the new convection I am seeing?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... -long.html
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby AutoPenalti » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:31 pm

gatorcane wrote:Seems like convection is building closer to the low-level vort and shear does not seem to be as bad as it was yesterday. Also is that some inflow into the new convection I am seeing?

Looks like it, unless that convection is shear induced.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#130 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:33 pm

An area of cloudiness and thunderstorms located north of Puerto Rico
and Hispaniola remains disorganized. There are no signs of a
surface circulation, and conditions are not expected to be conducive
for significant development of this system while it moves generally
west-northwestward at around 15 mph.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...10 percent
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:41 pm

gatorcane wrote:Seems like convection is building closer to the low-level vort and shear does not seem to be as bad as it was yesterday. Also is that some inflow into the new convection I am seeing?

I'm not sure but with the upper low losing its influence & being replaced by an upper high now, that could be the case.
0 likes   

tpr1967
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#132 Postby tpr1967 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Yes it is I think. I have been seeing that the last few hours. Something to keep and eye on.
0 likes   

tpr1967
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#133 Postby tpr1967 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Another thing I have noticed is how Convection has been building during the day, Unlike last several days when this primarily occurred at night.
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#134 Postby AutoPenalti » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:49 pm

Whatever the case may be, there's a 40% chance that it will run out of time before intensification with proximity to land.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby floridasun78 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:10 pm

it look if low it west of all storm getting shear bad
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby gatorcane » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:14 pm

floridasun78 wrote:it look if low it west of all storm getting shear bad

That is the weakening upper low you are seeing. Any LLC might be right under the convection blowup. Looks like some easterly shear now as the system is in the NE side of the upper low
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby floridasun78 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:23 pm

gatorcane wrote:
floridasun78 wrote:it look if low it west of all storm getting shear bad

That is the weakening upper low you are seeing. Any LLC might be right under the convection blowup. Looks like some easterly shear now as the system is in the NE side of the upper low

ok that what i think after i post that you all talking about ull west of 93l
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:25 pm

Gator/FL et al,
I see an impressive low level curved thunderstorm outflow boundary on vis 20-21N, 67-8W, moving SE. Other than that suggesting strong tstorms to its NW, any idea about what that implies for 93L?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... 0-lalo.gif
0 likes   

rickybobby
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#139 Postby rickybobby » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Where's the guy who has arthritis when a storm is going to hit central Florida? Tony from wesh 2 said we shouldn't worry about this because it will not form.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:10 pm

LarryWx wrote:Gator/FL et al,
I see an impressive low level curved thunderstorm outflow boundary on vis 20-21N, 67-8W, moving SE. Other than that suggesting strong tstorms to its NW, any idea about what that implies for 93L?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... 0-lalo.gif

I did some research and learned that this is a sign of dry air. If so, maybe that's holding back development for now. Any opinions?
0 likes   

Return to “2016”