ATL: MARIA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA - Models

#1121 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:46 pm

big shift in the euro ! though jose still too strong.
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

#1122 Postby 'CaneFreak » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:47 pm

This will help tremendously. Great catch!

tolakram wrote: https://twitter.com/HRD_AOML_NOAA/status/910212982608625664

HRD/AOML/NOAA ✔ @HRD_AOML_NOAA
The G-IV jet is in route to collect data around Hurricane Maria https://noaahrd.wordpress.com/2017/09/1 ... ane-maria/
2:44 PM - Sep 19, 2017
0 likes   

znel52
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1123 Postby znel52 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Euro is making things real interesting this run wow.
1 likes   
'96 Bertha/'96 Fran/'98 Bonnie/'99 Floyd/'03 Isabel/'04 Alex/'05 Ophelia/'11 Irene/'14 Arthur/'16 Matthew

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1124 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:48 pm

RL3AO wrote:
RL3AO wrote:This is very likely to stay away from the east coast. However, with Jose being modeled oddly at times, I'm still gonna be watching for signs of significant westward shifts.

Sometimes I should just shut up. :lol:

lol.. nah its hard to deny the models the last 3 days with this north motion let alone the fujiwhara crap. but we both know how sensitive the situation is and it can change to anything still..
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#1125 Postby hurricaneCW » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 pm

The strong block turns Jose back around and the system essentially becomes a closed like that helps pull Maria in as the ridge builds overhead, this is very similar to how Irma was guided NW once into Florida.

But will the block be strong enough to force these systems all the way into the US? This is all speculative right now anyway but just another option on the table.
1 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1126 Postby jlauderdal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 pm

RL3AO wrote:
RL3AO wrote:This is very likely to stay away from the east coast. However, with Jose being modeled oddly at times, I'm still gonna be watching for signs of significant westward shifts.

Sometimes I should just shut up. :lol:
here is the good news, the whole setup is so complex and the models all over the place, they are guaranteed to verify because we have seen everything
4 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1127 Postby Blown Away » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 pm

znel52 wrote:Euro is making things real interesting this run wow.

Yeah, I think SFL likely gets a pass, but the mid Atlantic still in play...
2 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1128 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:52 pm

txwatcher91 wrote:Instead of turning NNE to NE this run the Euro takes Maria more N/NNW bringing her a bit closer to the Carolina coast. If the Euro is still overdoing the intensity of Jose like it has in previous runs then that would put Maria dangerously close to the US as the ridge would build in a little stronger than currently modeled.

A subtle trend that I believe will continue to occur. So much so, that I am still projecting a potential significant risk as far south as the S. Carolina coastline. Lots of time between now and then.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#1129 Postby txwatcher91 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:53 pm

NAVGEM with a GIGANTIC shift west. Has the center about 50 miles off the NC coast. Last run it was near Bermuda.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1130 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:53 pm

well the GIV is flying and we will know the extent of the current ridging... if the ridging is stronger this could still go into DR weaken and slow down allowing jose to weaken further and ridging build in.. there are litterally soo many options right now.. its hard not to start going loopy.. just sort of have to sit backand watch for something to make more sense.
5 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1131 Postby tolakram » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 pm

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#1132 Postby AutoPenalti » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:well the GIV is flying and we will know the extent of the current ridging... if the ridging is stronger this could still go into DR weaken and slow down allowing jose to weaken further and ridging build in.. there are litterally soo many options right now.. its hard not to start going loopy.. just sort of have to sit backand watch for something to make more sense.

Florida is still in play, there's no free pass right now.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1133 Postby gatorcane » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:58 pm

18z plots. Looks like a pretty certain forecast at least for the next 5 days if not longer. No CONUS threat at the moment and certainly no Florida threat. Best wishes to Puerto Rico though. Looks like it will be BAD for them.

1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1134 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:00 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:well the GIV is flying and we will know the extent of the current ridging... if the ridging is stronger this could still go into DR weaken and slow down allowing jose to weaken further and ridging build in.. there are litterally soo many options right now.. its hard not to start going loopy.. just sort of have to sit backand watch for something to make more sense.

:na: naw........ I think i'm comfortable with giving Brownsville Tx. a free pass LOL
5 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1135 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:00 pm

chaser1 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

:na: naw........ I think i'm comfortable with giving Brownsville Tx. a free pass LOL

haha ok ok.. within reason ?
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#1136 Postby AutoPenalti » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:03 pm

chaser1 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

Umm, sure why not.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1137 Postby MGC » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:04 pm

I would not put much stock in any of the model runs until the Gulfstream data is included in the run......MGC
4 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1138 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Great point Aric, though I'm not betting on Maria remaining far enough to the south to pass over E. Dominican Republic we're also not talking about a radical shift either. There'd have to be some near-term westward shift or building of the high to Maria's north for this to occur I think but its certainly not an unreasonable outcome. This of course could potentially muddy up the waters in terms of a somewhat less deep storm and perhaps a time-frame that just became 18-24 hours further delayed towards the expected Northwest shift in track.
2 likes   

Hogweed
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1139 Postby Hogweed » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Euro over Puerto Rico.

Peak 3 hour gust is at the eastern end of the island at 178 mph slightly earlier.

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/pu ... 1200z.html
Last edited by Hogweed on Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   

chris46n
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1140 Postby chris46n » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Base on the models runs hitting Florida is very very small. So lets move on with that....
2 likes   

Return to “2017”