ATL: PHILIPPE - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Invest 93L - Discussion

#161 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:53 pm

I've been watching the recon and it appears to have a well defined LLC. This PTC stuff doesn't make any sense.
0 likes   

afswo
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#162 Postby afswo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm

I do not agree on the use of the PTC designation for this system. There are some tropical cyclones where the PTC designation would be appropriate, say where evacuations might be in order, or something along those lines. For this one though, either call it a Tropical Depression (if they feel it has not reached Tropical Storm strength or organization) or leave it an Area of Investigation. I understand that Cuba and the Bahamas have warnings and watches issued, but here in the US the PTC designation will either lead to confusion or apathy. Just my two cents as a Pro Met who has to explain what this designation is all about! :flag:
0 likes   

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: EIGHTEEN - Potential Tropical Cyclone - Discussion

#163 Postby AdamFirst » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm

The reason for "Potential Tropical Cyclone" designation is only to create warnings for land areas in absence of an actually defined tropical cyclone, but is on the cusp of declaration. It's smart, IMO.
3 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

sunnyday
Category 5
Category 5

#164 Postby sunnyday » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Local met says so fl is not in the cone and has no taste watches or warnings. That says a lot
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#165 Postby Evil Jeremy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm surprised by the lack of TS Watches for SE FL and the Keys. Hopefully guidance doesn't shift further west...
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

sunnyday
Category 5
Category 5

#166 Postby sunnyday » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:04 pm

No tropical storm watches or warnings in so fl. Sorry for the above auto correct error.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#167 Postby RL3AO » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:08 pm

The west side of these types of systems are usually much weaker than you'd expect. Even if it made landfall in SE FL as a tropical storm, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no measured TS winds in FL.
1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#168 Postby psyclone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:12 pm

RL3AO wrote:The west side of these types of systems are usually much weaker than you'd expect. Even if it made landfall in SE FL as a tropical storm, I wouldn't be surprised if there were no measured TS winds in FL.

Agree. this won't be a wind hazard outside of the marine areas. good thing we have fronts coming down. too little too late on this one in terms of a coherent TC threat for the CONUS.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#169 Postby psyclone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:21 pm

fox13weather wrote:i am not a fan of these PTC. Either it is. Or it isn't. The public has no clue on what it means. It is only surpassed by slight, marginal, moderate, high risk. ....NWS just doesn't have a handle on how important it is to classify a threat risk in a way the public can easily understand...

Completely agree. I was against the concept from go. You can tell it was developed by met egg heads (with the best of intentions) but it adds to confusion with the general public. What was wrong with the old...TS warnings may be required at any time if the system forms?...with a mention of TS conditions possible regardless of development. that provided ample clarity. I remember a PTC bust off the southeast coast earlier this season and over time this will likely add to confusion and complacency.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#170 Postby Alyono » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:28 pm

psyclone wrote:
fox13weather wrote:i am not a fan of these PTC. Either it is. Or it isn't. The public has no clue on what it means. It is only surpassed by slight, marginal, moderate, high risk. ....NWS just doesn't have a handle on how important it is to classify a threat risk in a way the public can easily understand...

Completely agree. I was against the concept from go. You can tell it was developed by met egg heads (with the best of intentions) but it adds to confusion with the general public. What was wrong with the old...TS warnings may be required at any time if the system forms?...with a mention of TS conditions possible regardless of development. that provided ample clarity. I remember a PTC bust off the southeast coast earlier this season and over time this will likely add to confusion and complacency.

I can tell you that you are dead flat wrong here. There is no reason why advisories cannot be issued pre genesis not watches and warnings. You have no idea as to what goes into preparations. You cannot wait until it is a TC to prepare
3 likes   

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#171 Postby AdamFirst » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Regardless of impact, expect a rainy afternoon across South Florida all day Saturday and into Sunday morning. Tropical Storm conditions more likely over the coastal waters.
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#172 Postby psyclone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Alyono wrote:
psyclone wrote:

I can tell you that you are dead flat wrong here. There is no reason why advisories cannot be issued pre genesis not watches and warnings. You have no idea as to what goes into preparations. You cannot wait until it is a TC to prepare

Well you won. I just think it's more trouble than it's worth but we'll see. I acknowledge I could be wrong.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#173 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Alyono wrote:
psyclone wrote:

Maria was probably the best example in Dominica. At the moment PTC 15 was declared it was clear that it would become a strong hurricane before landfall. While no model brought it to cat 5 that soon, they did have at least 12 extra hours to prepare under a Hurricane Watch for an intense hit.
2 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#174 Postby psyclone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:37 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
Alyono wrote:
psyclone wrote:

Maria was probably the best example in Dominica. At the moment PTC 15 was declared it was clear that it would become a strong hurricane before landfall. While no model brought it to cat 5 that soon, they did have at least 12 extra hours to prepare under a Hurricane Watch for an intense hit.

Except that the initial watches were TS watches, not hurricane watches. Nevertheless this is a good example in favor of the PTC designation.
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#175 Postby ronjon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:30 pm

All this PTC discussion will likely be moot tomorrow when it becomes a real tropical storm. It has about a 24 hour window to strengthen before heavily sheared.
1 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#176 Postby WeatherEmperor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:35 pm

All of this talk about PTC's has a lot of potential. See what I did there? Let's talk about it in a thread I created in the Talkin' Tropics section

Link --> viewtopic.php?f=31&t=119356
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#177 Postby gatorcane » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Seems the latest GFS and ensemble mean move this faster and as a result have shifted west.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#178 Postby fci » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:44 pm

psyclone wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:
Alyono wrote:

Except that the initial watches were TS watches, not hurricane watches. Nevertheless this is a good example in favor of the PTC designation.

Personally I like the designation but if the big deal is that no watches or warnings could be issued without a designation; they could simply change that rule.
Put up a watch or warning even if there is no designation and an area is either an "Invest" or "Area of disturbed weather" or "Tropical Wave".
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts are just my opinion and are most likely not backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Bottom line is that I am just expressing my opinion!!!

marco_islander
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#179 Postby marco_islander » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:58 pm

I am super new to this so I apologize for lack of proper terminology and ignorance when it comes to reading the models but I'm looking at the GFS model at the 30 hour mark and I'm wondering what that second red circle is northwest of PTC 18 is. It almost looks like a second eye. Is it just a heavy dose of rain coming off the edge of PTC 18 due to its disorganization or something else to be keeping an eye on? Thanks.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#180 Postby gatorcane » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Anticyclone has built overtop:

0 likes   

Return to “2017”