ATL: IRMA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IRMA - Models

#6201 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:41 pm

bella_may wrote:I remember the early Katrina models showed it curving up in the big bend of Florida. Not buying it

That was 12 years ago.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#6202 Postby Ken711 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:42 pm

How could it maintain that intensity once it landfalls?
1 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6203 Postby GeneratorPower » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:42 pm

lando wrote:If this run verified to a tee, 3 of the most populated counties in Florida would be almost destroyed, specifically by the western side of the eye wall, and a lot of the population of the immediate areas are lower income around the lake and unfortunately loss of life may be record breaking; god forbid the dyke failed...

I think "destroyed" is a bit much. Not likely to see Cat 5 damage over a three county area.
2 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6204 Postby Steve » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:42 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
Steve wrote:
HDGator wrote:
The entire Florida Peninsula hit with hurricane (64kt) + winds.

This would be CATASTROPHIC!

Someone used the term earlier "A Generational Storm".
I'd like to stop this ride and get off. PLEASE!

That was me. 2017, with our second Cat 4 hit in the wings, is getting to be a generational year as well. For those of us who are semi old, 1985, 1988, 1998, 2004 and 2005 are some of the benchmark years with 2004 and 2005 both featuring multiple major hits. 2017 looks to join that this weekend. We still have a good 45 days of prime season ahead too. Probably belongs in the "Indicators for 2017" thread on Talkin' Tropics. But the indicators to me are there are spots near the US Coast that can support extremely powerful hurricanes.

There's no reason why you can't get a very intense hurricane as late as November as well - 1932 a classic example...

Hey CrazyC. I know. I don't even want to think about November at this point and the shot at a late Caribbean killer system. The way I see it, the NC/NE Gulf have only had some minor systems through. And the East Coast probably isn't done yet either. I'm predicting we'll all be storm-weary by November!

GFS at 234 has Irma out of there tied into a low in Newfoundland. Jose is dancing around between 58 and 63W. It does a loop and looks like it's sort of heading back west around 24.5 North with a big giant Canadian high centered just north of the Great Lakes. It will be interesting to see how the remainder of this GFS run does with that.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 418&fh=234
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#6205 Postby ronjon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:43 pm

The real scary thing to us Floridians, besides the fact that we'll likely have a major hurricane hitting the state, is that a difference of 20-30 miles in track or small changes in angle of approach will have such devastating consequences. And lets be honest, no model can predict that with any certainty.
7 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6206 Postby Frank P » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:44 pm

bella_may wrote:I remember the early Katrina models showed it curving up in the big bend of Florida. Not buying it

and those models shifted well within 5 days of landfall... never forget watching each model, run after run, shift west... regardless, nothing in the models YET that lets me think that is in the works for Irma.. and that's why we stayed glue to the forums and model runs... :D
1 likes   

FixySLN
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6207 Postby FixySLN » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Steve wrote:
FixySLN wrote:I have a hard time buying that NW drive after the Southern Florida landfall. Wouldn't it be more likely that it run back up North through east coast looking for some more energy? Especially taking the cold air into consideration...Nags Head/Va Beach braces for whatever is left of her.

*Disclaimer*

I'm no Met...I don't even like making "predictions". I sometimes post my thoughts for others to see and am in NO way a voice of experience or professionalism.

It's got to go west at some point anyway. Aric was showing the cutoff down in the lower MS Valley which acts to draw it up and pinwheel it back while a surface high from Canada comes down from the north. Straight physics that even under the last run where it went back out and came in near GA/SC Border, it came up and hooked west toward southern Indiana. ECMWF shows it as well but it comes in farther north and on a NW heading through the SE US toward WV/SE Ohio.

More 18Z runs should be out soon.

You may very well be correct, though I have to say I hope not. Historically, the majority of early September systems with a northern jog prior to Florida landfall tend to continue on a NNE track. The exceptions to this rule have been systems making landfall south of Miami and continuing into the Gulf. They can do anything unpredictable at anything regardless of what's going on...we're all just guessing at this point. I'm just using past precedent as reference. Hope it isn't taken as arrogance, argumentative, or ignorant.
2 likes   

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#6208 Postby hurricaneCW » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:45 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:
lando wrote:If this run verified to a tee, 3 of the most populated counties in Florida would be almost destroyed, specifically by the western side of the eye wall, and a lot of the population of the immediate areas are lower income around the lake and unfortunately loss of life may be record breaking; god forbid the dyke failed...

I think "destroyed" is a bit much. Not likely to see Cat 5 damage over a three county area.

Storm surge could be massive though with a hurricane of this strength and size, and Florida is as flat as it gets.
0 likes   

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6209 Postby plasticup » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Ken711 wrote:How could it maintain that intensity once it landfalls?

Florida is flat, wet, and not that different from the ocean.

I'm being a little facetious, but only a little. The everglades and such aren't as terrible for a hurricane as the Costa Rican mountains.
4 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

bella_may
Category 3
Category 3

#6210 Postby bella_may » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:47 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:

That was 12 years ago.

Ok and? We've had plenty of surprise storms since then. Nothing is certain at this point especially since that trough could not be a big of a factor as originally thought
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6211 Postby Steve » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:48 pm

264 hours and Jose is nose-diving in the direction of the D.R. as a large trough passes by overhead to the North. By 288 it's blowing up and in the general position to follow what Irma had done several days ago. No way do I believe the run at this point, but it's a very scary repeat setup.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 0&ypos=400
2 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#6212 Postby Ken711 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:48 pm

plasticup wrote:
Ken711 wrote:How could it maintain that intensity once it landfalls?

Florida is flat, wet, and not that different from the ocean.

I'm being a little facetious, but only a little. The everglades and such aren't as terrible for a hurricane as the Costa Rican mountains.

Understood. But if you are considering built up areas like cities, it just seems difficult to see.
1 likes   

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6213 Postby AdamFirst » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:48 pm

So how about the end of that GFS run...sends future Jose in a cyclonic loop and slingshots it west toward the Bahamas...
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6214 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Inside 144 hrs now with a little bounce back east.
IMHO, this is going to start to gel now.
At DMAX.

1 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6215 Postby Evil Jeremy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 pm

This is going to become a statewide evacuation disaster. This the worst case scenario, a catastrophic hurricane running up the spine of the state. If impacts start Saturday, then Hurricane Watches will be issued, at the earliest, Thursday morning, for the Keys/SFL. Today I saw the first signs of the public taking notice, with propane hard to find, water sold out at the supermarkets, and busy gas stations. Tomorrow forward will be a madhouse at the stores. If the GFS and ECMWF are showing the same scenario tomorrow night, I'll need to take a look at my evacuation options.
4 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#6216 Postby Ken711 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:52 pm

GCANE wrote:Inside 144 hrs now with a little bounce back east.
At DMAX.

You mean an east trend?
1 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#6217 Postby ronjon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm

With the GFS run, Key Largo and Homestead would likely be inundated with massive storm surge. The metro areas would sustain high wind damage but surge may be small. Lake O dike could fail which could cause catastrophic flooding for those communities around the lake. Further north, wind damage, heavy rainfall, and tornadoes would be major impacts all the way up to JAX.
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6218 Postby Steve » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:54 pm

FixySLN wrote:
Steve wrote:
FixySLN wrote:I have a hard time buying that NW drive after the Southern Florida landfall. Wouldn't it be more likely that it run back up North through east coast looking for some more energy? Especially taking the cold air into consideration...Nags Head/Va Beach braces for whatever is left of her.

*Disclaimer*

I'm no Met...I don't even like making "predictions". I sometimes post my thoughts for others to see and am in NO way a voice of experience or professionalism.

It's got to go west at some point anyway. Aric was showing the cutoff down in the lower MS Valley which acts to draw it up and pinwheel it back while a surface high from Canada comes down from the north. Straight physics that even under the last run where it went back out and came in near GA/SC Border, it came up and hooked west toward southern Indiana. ECMWF shows it as well but it comes in farther north and on a NW heading through the SE US toward WV/SE Ohio.

More 18Z runs should be out soon.

You may very well be correct, though I have to say I hope not. Historically, the majority of early September systems with a northern jog prior to Florida landfall tend to continue on a NNE track. The exceptions to this rule have been systems making landfall south of Miami and continuing into the Gulf. They can do anything unpredictable at anything regardless of what's going on...we're all just guessing at this point. I'm just using past precedent as reference. Hope it isn't taken as arrogance, argumentative, or ignorant.

Not at all man, great post. That's what I'm used to seeing too which is why the western component even when GFS had it going into Detroit or Ontario when it landfalled much farther north many runs ago seems so strange. But all the models have that sweep west. If you look at the ensembles or any of the spaghetti plots, it's almost all of them. Upper pattern on the continent I guess. We look more for early season storms to go that route and not in September like you said.

Last we checked in on the NAVGEM, it hit SW FL. It's out to 36 hours and has Irma at 17.75N 61.5W
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... s=0&ypos=0

HWRF is also running and is fairly close to the 12Z model at 42 hours:
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... s=0&ypos=0
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6219 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Ken711 wrote:
GCANE wrote:Inside 144 hrs now with a little bounce back east.
At DMAX.

You mean an east trend?

Previous runs were landfalling on the GOM coast.

Now correlating real well with Euro.

I am pretty sure this nails it +/- 50 miles.
1 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6220 Postby GeneratorPower » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:56 pm

ronjon wrote:With the GFS run, Key Largo and Homestead would likely be inundated with massive storm surge. The metro areas would sustain high wind damage but surge may be small. Lake O dike could fail which could cause catastrophic flooding for those communities around the lake. Further north, wind damage, heavy rainfall, and tornadoes would be major impacts all the way up to JAX.

Why are you claiming the dike will fail? No evidence.
0 likes   

Return to “2017”