ATL: Ex INVEST 96L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#201 Postby Aric Dunn » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:44 pm

More westward track would keep in a lower shear environment until central carrib. Key to that would be if it can develop and drop a few MB to survive the faster low level flow in carrib.

Its not dead by any means yet.
2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#202 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:47 pm

chaser1 wrote:
floridasun78 wrote:
chaser1 wrote:
No doubt, there's shear to the north of her.... shear to the south of her.... "here I am, stuck in the middle with you" (isn't that a Beatles song?? Anyway, I digress... :ggreen: )

So, your not thinking the present COC might narrowly be under any east/west upper COL extending eastward from the Caribbean? Based on today's earlier shear analysis it looked to me like it might just thread that needle. Then again, perhaps I was overestimating the relative area of lighter UL winds?

at 8pm i see % drop too 10 and 5% next five days 96l done

You may well be right :wink: That would certainly keep in character with this season so far. It certainly has good spin but in spite of the seemingly moist envelope it's riding west with, convection just continues to get choked off - not just "over center" but within the broader low latitude envelope around it. SST's seem to be a net zero factor. Not anomalously warm or cool, but adequate and around 28C. Funny, this was supposedly the year of the "wet Saheal". Perhaps, but something's seemingly awry with the air over much of the Atlantic. I'm not so sure that's something that'll just get fixed simply because Climo says so :think:

It has to do with the Convectively suppressed kelvin wave causing sinking air over the Atlantic, things will improve when it moves on, it might have a chance in the western Caribbean
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#203 Postby floridasun78 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:09 pm

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 PM EDT Sat Aug 3 2019

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. A large area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms located
several hundred miles east of the Lesser Antilles is associated with
a tropical wave. Some slow development of this system is possible
over the next day or two as the disturbance moves west-northwestward
toward the Lesser Antilles. Upper-level winds are then expected to
become unfavorable for further development early next week.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

Forecaster Pasch
1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#204 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Nope Hurricaneman, I've gotta take issue with that.
I dont buy into this decade's latest "revelation", the bandied Convectively suppressed kelvin wave. I'm not at all suggesting it's not real or not ever a factor. Just as "El Nino" once became the pre-eminant solution or force causing many to step up and pronounce how any given year would clearly be over-active or under-active based on what seemed like clear Nino/Nina signals, has seemingly morphed into broader scale and location of ENSO signals.... it seems as if many are latching on to convectively suppressing (or enhancing) kelvin waves. I've seen evidence of related broad scale uptick or downturn impact on regional convection over the tropics but in the form of an actual (large wave), not in terms of a semi-permanent cap covering a span or distance as broad as an entire ocean. I believe there are other less transient factors that play into why certain years' particular hemispheric areas seem "dryer" then other years. There's no doubt that during particilar ENSO events, there's a very clear and multi-month impact to regions around the world. I just dont think that either are always the go-to Answer A or Answer B solution to the puzzle. I think their may well be something suppressing 96L's convection. Perhaps you're right and it's feeling the 2 or 3 day impact of suppressed conditions? Maybe, but what about last week - or next week. Strong waves have moved off of Africa but convection fairly quickly turns anemic. Sometimes SAL plays a role, less often unusually cool SST's might, and varying levels of wind shear certainly are a big force here.
We've seen plenty of years where the tropics snapped into climotological symmetry. Hostile conditions quickly became less hostile. Sometimes conditions just find a way to buck historical norms though. I'm pretty sure we're still a ways off from knowing why though.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#205 Postby Aric Dunn » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:32 pm

chaser1 wrote:Nope Hurricaneman, I've gotta take issue with that.
I dont buy into this decade's latest "revelation", the bandied Convectively suppressed kelvin wave. I'm not at all suggesting it's not real or not ever a factor. Just as "El Nino" once became the pre-eminant solution or force causing many to step up and pronounce how any given year would clearly be over-active or under-active based on what seemed like clear Nino/Nina signals, has seemingly morphed into broader scale and location of ENSO signals.... it seems as if many are latching on to convectively suppressing (or enhancing) kelvin waves. I've seen evidence of related broad scale uptick or downturn impact on regional convection over the tropics but in the form of an actual (large wave), not in terms of a semi-permanent cap covering a span or distance as broad as an entire ocean. I believe there are other less transient factors that play into why certain years' particular hemispheric areas seem "dryer" then other years. There's no doubt that during particilar ENSO events, there's a very clear and multi-month impact to regions around the world. I just dont think that either are always the go-to Answer A or Answer B solution to the puzzle. I think their may well be something suppressing 96L's convection. Perhaps you're right and it's feeling the 2 or 3 day impact of suppressed conditions? Maybe, but what about last week - or next week. Strong waves have moved off of Africa but convection fairly quickly turns anemic. Sometimes SAL plays a role, less often unusually cool SST's might, and varying levels of wind shear certainly are a big force here.
We've seen plenty of years where the tropics snapped into climotological symmetry. Hostile conditions quickly became less hostile. Sometimes conditions just find a way to buck historical norms though. I'm pretty sure we're still a ways off from knowing why though.

Just like anything.. it plays a factor but it is not an end all be all. I have seen many many instances of very convectively active waves and TC under the suppressed side of the kelvin wave.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#206 Postby abajan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:05 am

If nothing else, it certainly has a great satellite presentation (circulation-wise)!

3 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#207 Postby GCANE » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:55 am

Good convection firing close to the CoC.
500mb and 700mb vorts are stacked.
No 200mb vort to push down on this.
Enough of a shear gradient around this to keep periphery convection firing.
Still has strong steering due west.

Still watching this as it heads into the Carib.
I think there maybe enough momentum with the mid-level vorts that it may fire once it lines up with Hispaniola.
All it takes is some long-duration vortical hot towers to fire off and drive the mid-level angular momentum down to the surface.
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#208 Postby GCANE » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:24 am

Euro keeps the 500mb Vort intact just south of Hispaniola.
Pretty much ditto with GFS-Legacy.
This is were I estimate it will be.
At this point it all depends if convection can reignite.
Got to remember, global models are poor at forecasting small-scale convection development.
In terms of hot-tower development, they totally suck.
If it does reignite, forecast ridging is conducive for this to run thru the Yucatan Channel.
Last edited by GCANE on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#209 Postby abajan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:26 am

GCANE wrote:Good convection firing close to the CoC ...

Definitely.
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#210 Postby GCANE » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:29 am

abajan wrote:
GCANE wrote:Good convection firing close to the CoC ...

Definitely.

Looks like a DMAX-induced tower is firing off now just south of the CoC.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#211 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:47 am

And just like that.. it is 90 percent there now. Some sustained convection today and we will have a TD. Should be enough to close off a surface circ. If not already there.

Evidence of the circ is on the eastern edge of the convection. And the convective pattern around it is pretty telling.

If pressure can fall a few mb surface convergence will increase and it will be on its way.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#212 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:00 am

GCANE wrote:Euro keeps the 500mb Vort intact just south of Hispaniola.
Pretty much ditto with GFS-Legacy.
This is were I estimate it will be.
At this point it all depends if convection can reignite.
Got to remember, global models are poor at forecasting small-scale convection development.
In terms of hot-tower development, they totally suck.
If it does reignite, forecast ridging is conducive for this to run thru the Yucatan Channel.

Yeah ridging looks to hold until at leat south if hispaniola if not all the way to the western carrib.
0 likes   

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#213 Postby Emmett_Brown » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:03 am

Per the GFS, the shear for the next 48 hours won't be that strong, so there is a brief window for 96L to organize before shear increases Tuesday (assuming 96L remains below 15N before that time)
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#214 Postby wxman57 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:09 am

While it certainly looks more impressive on satellite, an overnight ASCAT pass (last evening) did not indicate any LLC. Winds at Barbados continue to blow from the east. Any apparent rotation may be aloft. The disturbance is heading into ever-increasing wind shear, even if it stays south. NHC lowered development chances to 10% last hour, by the way.

3 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#215 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:15 am

wxman57 wrote:While it certainly looks more impressive on satellite, an overnight ASCAT pass (last evening) did not indicate any LLC. Winds at Barbados continue to blow from the east. Any apparent rotation may be aloft. The disturbance is heading into ever-increasing wind shear, even if it stays south. NHC lowered development chances to 10% last hour, by the way.

http://wxman57.com/images/96Lb.JPG

Actually both the GFS and EURO show the shear axis shifting west to the central to western cariib. at least in terms of upper level winds. so staying south would keep it in a low upper level shear environment.

the big issue will be the forward speed causing decoupling

of course, this is contingent on convection sustaining today.. lol
2 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#216 Postby GCANE » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:44 am

Chomping at the bit

Large but short duration hot tower at DMAX.
No associated lightning though.

1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#217 Postby LarryWx » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:58 am

The model consensus has had a weak surface low once it got to its current position for many days of runs. So, the current rather organized appearance is no surprise. However, is it moving more quickly WNW than model consensus has shown? I mean I thought many model runs til a couple of days ago didn’t have it reach the Lesser Antilles til Tuesday or so. Am I correct? At this rate, it may get there tonight.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#218 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 am

Coming into radar range. At least we will have that.

http://www.meteofrance.gp/previsions-me ... r/antilles

Really wish they would change their color schema lol

Ok the other site is working now

http://www.barbadosweather.org/Composit ... 1564932610
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#219 Postby abajan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:41 am

It's been raining lightly at my location for the last hour or so. No thunder as yet.
1 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#220 Postby Siker » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:49 am

LarryWx wrote:The model consensus has had a weak surface low once it got to its current position for many days of runs. So, the current rather organized appearance is no surprise. However, is it moving more quickly WNW than model consensus has shown? I mean I thought many model runs til a couple of days ago didn’t have it reach the Lesser Antilles til Tuesday or so. Am I correct? At this rate, it may get there tonight.

This is mostly due to the current observed low not merging with the portion of vorticity to the east (seen at the end of the line of weak convection to the north), which would have resulted in Tuesday impacts to the Lesser Antilles. This separation was not fully picked up on by the EURO until last night’s 00z run. GFS showed it by its 00z run two nights ago, but has adjusted westward by maybe a few hours on subsequent runs.
1 likes   

Return to “2019”