ATL: SALLY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

storminabox
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#121 Postby storminabox » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:40 am

jlauderdal wrote:
storminabox wrote:This system looks like it will bring some very heavy weather tomorrow and Saturday. I’m looking forward to it. There hasn’t been a lot of action since I’ve been down here.
down where?

I should of specified. I’m located in Coral Gables at the University of Miami.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#122 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:42 am

gfsperpendicular wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

Nice sharp wave axis...no west wind.

Only Nassau is at all close to the center, so it's hard to say whether there is a west wind. Like maybe there are some west winds west of Andros. Recon pls :sun:

There are easterly moving low level clouds on the south side.. there is very likely a vort/llc somewhere around Nassau. likely in that deep curved band.

the Nassau surface obs is not working properly.. all day yesterday it was showing west to sw winds which of course was not correct. no reason to think it is doing any better today.

so all we have right now are sporadic surface obs to far away, radar, and sat.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Cat5James
Category 1
Category 1

#123 Postby Cat5James » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 am

storminabox wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:
storminabox wrote:This system looks like it will bring some very heavy weather tomorrow and Saturday. I’m looking forward to it. There hasn’t been a lot of action since I’ve been down here.
down where?

I should of specified. I’m located in Coral Gables at the University of Miami.

Nice... I'm a meteorology major at UM
5 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#124 Postby SFLcane » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:46 am

HRRR barely has rainfall across mainland SFL maybe half an Inch. Nothing we don’t get every afternoon
1 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby Nimbus » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:50 am

I looked at the buoy reports and they all had winds out of the east 80 degrees in northern Bahamas, lowest surface pressure was 1011mb just off Miami. This will look like a pretty healthy circulation on radar as it tracks in near Miami and crosses southern Florida. Some radar echoes are above 10,000 feet when they are over 50 miles from the radome location so we may not see the LLC clearly unless it tracks close to Miami.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#126 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:51 am

Nimbus wrote:I looked at the buoy reports and they all had winds out of the east 80 degrees in northern Bahamas, lowest surface pressure was 1011mb just off Miami. This will look like a pretty healthy circulation on radar as it tracks in near Miami and crosses southern Florida. Some radar echoes are above 10,000 feet when they are over 50 miles from the radome location so we may not see the LLC clearly unless it tracks close to Miami.

we have bahama radar.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

hurricanehunter69
Category 1
Category 1

#127 Postby hurricanehunter69 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:51 am

I'm so tempted to go all out aggressive on a forecast with this thing. I tend to believe what my eyes are seeing more than what I'm reading from the pro's, but I've been burned enough times to know better. So I'm trying to figure out what's holding model support back? Low level dry air...? not much of an issue. Mid level dry air...? definitely not. shear...? definitely not. In short...a near ideal environment. So what is it....? It's not spinning yet( nothing under the hood)! The models are saying these types of set ups take a quite a bit of time. So the big question is how long will this thing take to spin up? The key is how fast is it moving. In this case and most importantly, it's a (slow) mover. Even now, development probs and intensity estimates are gradually increasing. However, as soon as this thing develops that warm core engine....we should expect intensity estimates to shoot up quite aggressively. http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/m ... anim=html5
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby Evil Jeremy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:51 am

SFLcane wrote:HRRR barely has rainfall across mainland SFL maybe half an Inch. Nothing we don’t get every afternoon

HRRR is also initializing with the "low" inland SFL at the moment... which is not accurate.

96L is gonna be more of a "now-casting" situation than a model watching one. I'm not just saying that in regards to pre-Florida, but over the weekend as it enters the Gulf.

I would be surprised if this closes off before Florida.
1 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby MGC » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:52 am

Yup, 96L is apparently organizing at a steady clip. Going to have to watch this one closely....looks to be headed in my general direction......MGC
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:52 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
gfsperpendicular wrote:
SFLcane wrote:
Nice sharp wave axis...no west wind.

Only Nassau is at all close to the center, so it's hard to say whether there is a west wind. Like maybe there are some west winds west of Andros. Recon pls :sun:

There are easterly moving low level clouds on the south side.. there is very likely a vort/llc somewhere around Nassau. likely in that deep curved band.

the Nassau surface obs is not working properly.. all day yesterday it was showing west to sw winds which of course was not correct. no reason to think it is doing any better today.

Are you sure you are looking at the Nassau airport observation? I only see W & SW winds around midnight which is about the time that the surface trough passed through Nassau.
I only see one time of SW winds earlier in the afternoon.
Radar clearly shows that the surface vorticity is still to the W of Nassau.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/times ... aw=0&w=325
1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#131 Postby psyclone » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:53 am

SFLcane wrote:HRRR barely has rainfall across mainland SFL maybe half an Inch. Nothing we don’t get every afternoon

really good convergence will be on the west coast with east and southeast winds piling up air and showers on that side of the peninsula as our formative system sails into the gulf.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#132 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:54 am

Why mention the HRRR unless you are just pointing out how horrible it is most times with tropical systems :wink:
2 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#133 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:54 am

2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#134 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:55 am

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby BobHarlem » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:57 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
Nimbus wrote:I looked at the buoy reports and they all had winds out of the east 80 degrees in northern Bahamas, lowest surface pressure was 1011mb just off Miami. This will look like a pretty healthy circulation on radar as it tracks in near Miami and crosses southern Florida. Some radar echoes are above 10,000 feet when they are over 50 miles from the radome location so we may not see the LLC clearly unless it tracks close to Miami.

we have bahama radar.

http://tropicalatlantic.com/radars/live/bahamas/

(there's the official bahamas one too, but that one is flaky at best)
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#136 Postby gatorcane » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Saved loop. Looks to be getting hit with some NW shear due to a small ULL to the north of 95l. If you look closely you can see a broad circulation the NW half which is exposed.

1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 pm

NDG wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:
gfsperpendicular wrote:

Are you sure you are looking at the Nassau airport observation? I only see W & SW winds around midnight which is about the time that the surface trough passed through Nassau.
I only see one time of SW winds earlier in the afternoon.
Radar clearly shows that the surface vorticity is still to the W of Nassau.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/times ... aw=0&w=325

yeah the airport. I have MADIS on which updates every 5 minutes.

but even if you look at yesterday around noon and go through about midnight. wsw,S, SW, SSW ... and all the flip flopping while all other stations were steady E, ENE..

maybe a tree grew next the anemometer lol
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:09 pm

BobHarlem wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

we have bahama radar.

http://tropicalatlantic.com/radars/live/bahamas/

(there's the official bahamas one too, but that one is flaky at best)

yeah the main site sucks.

I use this becasue you can change to different color tables and it is a mosaic.

https://www.rainviewer.com/map.html?loc ... &sm=0&sn=0" width="100%" frameborder="0" style="border:0;height:50vh;" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the one you noted is good because you can do long loops.
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#139 Postby Evil Jeremy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:13 pm

gatorcane wrote:Saved loop. Looks to be getting hit with some NW shear due to a small ULL to the north of 95l. If you look closely you can see a broad circulation the NW half which is exposed.

https://i.postimg.cc/T382jxHm/2-ABC226- ... -F8-B6.gif

If 96L had a full 24 hours before reaching Florida, instead of about another 12, we would be having a very different conversation about potential impacts. It’s putting itself together exactly like what I would expect a wave in the Bahamas would in September.
1 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#140 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Looks like we'll get a nice rain event here in south Florida, been busy doing interviews for a grad assignment. Will be interesting see on how a potentially stronger 96L could impact the downstream weather pattern.
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Return to “2020”