ATL: DELTA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

blp
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Models

#41 Postby blp » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:32 pm

Why is the HWRF and HMON not running on 92L?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby blp » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:36 pm

Euro Ensembles have also shifted east from the 18z to 12z.

12z

18z
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby aspen » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:50 pm

blp wrote:Why is the HWRF and HMON not running on 92L?

They’ll probably start sometime tomorrow, but until then, you can easily see 92L in the HWRF-P runs of Gamma.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby stormlover2013 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:17 pm

0 likes   

StPeteMike
Category 1
Category 1

#45 Postby StPeteMike » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:58 pm

I’ll believe the stalling or very slow movement from the EURO, but I’m not buying the intensity. All the models failed to capture the RI of Gamma before landfall, with many having it around 1003/4 MB. Even with Gamma to the west, future Delta should be far enough East that Gamma’s outflow has very little impact.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby kevin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:10 am

06z intensity forecast seems to be quite strong, especially for a disturbance that hasn't even formed yet and considering that models have been underestimating a lot of storms this year. SHIP says we could already have a TS in 12 hours. 06z HMON and HWRF also finally have 92L and are about halfway so we'll see what they do.

0 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby kevin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:14 am

06z HMON strengthens quickly and barely scratches the tip of Cuba. Then it enters the Gulf as a strengthening major at only 72 hours :eek:. 104 knts, 952 mbar at 84 hours.

0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby Nimbus » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:40 am

Glanced at the 06Z HWRF and they still haven't nailed down the ridging so..
Some 18Z runs last night were showing a split in the ridging allowing the more eastern track.
06Z HWRF still drifting west near 26N at the end of next week.
Gamma has lots of convection this morning and is moistening the gulf so I guess we watch that for our Florida POPs.
0 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby kevin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:21 am

First intensity forecast with more models. 7 out of the 10 models have 92L as a hurricane. 06z HWRF peaked at 970 mbar, 80 knots. 06z HMON peaked at 954 mbar, 110 knots.

0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby Blown Away » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:28 am

kevin wrote:First intensity forecast with more models. 7 out of the 10 models have 92L as a hurricane. 06z HWRF peaked at 970 mbar, 80 knots. 06z HMON peaked at 954 mbar, 110 knots.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/92L_intensity_latest.png

Looking at the timing of the tracks, the intensity guidance starts to drop off long before any CONUS landfall.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#51 Postby wxman57 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:32 am

I think the HWRF track looks good, but I think it's intensity is WAY too strong in the northern Gulf. We have it weakening to a TD or a remnant low near SE LA Friday. HWRF says 82 kts. For Marco, with a similar setup, it was predicting 89 kts near SE LA, when all that remained was a remnant swirl of clouds. Conditions across the northern Gulf do not look favorable at all.

92L:

Marco HWRF:
5 likes   

smw1981
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby smw1981 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:40 am

But didn’t the HWRF do the best track and intensity wise with Sally? If I remember correctly (and there’s a good chance I don’t! Haha), the HWRF sniffed out track and intensity before any other models. And when it had Sally strengthening up until landfall, we all thought it was out to lunch when it turned out to be correct. If so, I think we can’t discount it completely (although I do agree that conditions seem pretty hostile in the northern gulf right now).
0 likes   

Gums
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby Gums » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:55 am

Salute!

Good comparison WXman. If earlier in summer we should also be looking at Camille's track/history.

Our hope over here in the Panhandle is the projected cold front reaching Coast in 5 days and it will help a lot as it did for Opal. Otherwise, Michael Redux is possible and the same exact time of the year.

Gums sends...
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby NDG » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:07 am

The GFS paints a fairly good environment for 92L as it reaches the southern GOM into the central GOM so I really would not doubt in it becoming at least a Cat 2 hurricane like some hurricane models show.

0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby boca » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:13 am

The poor people on the Gulf coast get more threats than we do in the Florida peninsula at least this year and hopefully 92L will eat some of that drier air that wxman 57 said in an earlier post.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#56 Postby wxman57 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:20 am

smw1981 wrote:But didn’t the HWRF do the best track and intensity wise with Sally? If I remember correctly (and there’s a good chance I don’t! Haha), the HWRF sniffed out track and intensity before any other models. And when it had Sally strengthening up until landfall, we all thought it was out to lunch when it turned out to be correct. If so, I think we can’t discount it completely (although I do agree that conditions seem pretty hostile in the northern gulf right now).

It didn't perform too badly with Sally. Had it moving into SE LA early on with intensity from 70-100 kts. However, it had Gonzalo (storm that dissipated due to strong wind shear as it reached the eastern Caribbean) as a Cat 2 in the eastern Caribbean. It has a high bias toward strong storms. Doesn't seem to recognize increasing wind shear.
2 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#57 Postby DestinHurricane » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:35 am

wxman57 wrote:
smw1981 wrote:But didn’t the HWRF do the best track and intensity wise with Sally? If I remember correctly (and there’s a good chance I don’t! Haha), the HWRF sniffed out track and intensity before any other models. And when it had Sally strengthening up until landfall, we all thought it was out to lunch when it turned out to be correct. If so, I think we can’t discount it completely (although I do agree that conditions seem pretty hostile in the northern gulf right now).

It didn't perform too badly with Sally. Had it moving into SE LA early on with intensity from 70-100 kts. However, it had Gonzalo (storm that dissipated due to strong wind shear as it reached the eastern Caribbean) as a Cat 2 in the eastern Caribbean. It has a high bias toward strong storms. Doesn't seem to recognize increasing wind shear.

HWRF has performed the best this year with intensity. GFS and especially Euro have a high bias towards weak storms, particularly in the western basin.
1 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#58 Postby wxman57 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:44 am

DestinHurricane wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

HWRF has performed the best this year with intensity. GFS and especially Euro have a high bias towards weak storms, particularly in the western basin.

HWRF did OK with some storms (those that became hurricanes), but badly with weaker storms (those that didn't become hurricanes or those that were encountering wind shear). It's tracks were the most inconsistent of any model, and its intensity forecasts have a high bias. Be careful trusting it.
1 likes   

cp79
Category 1
Category 1

#59 Postby cp79 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:47 am

DestinHurricane wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

The HWRF’s not to trust here, though. There is no way possible this storm stays a hurricane with that track. The conditions in the Gulf don’t allow for it. It would need some miracle shear blocking. The Euro and GFS seem to be on top of it, weakening it to a weak TS or TD by the time it gets to La. Only way this thing hits as a powerful cane is if it gets in the Eastern Gulf where shear wont be bad.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby NDG » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:57 am

wxman57 wrote:

The HWRF did the worst with intensity was when dry air was nearby, it did do horrible in the far eastern Caribbean where SAL was very abundant more often than not.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”